When you first started carrying
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > When you first started carrying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Default When you first started carrying

Was anybody else nervous the first time you carried your gun openly or concealed?

• Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 .40 S&W

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-24-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3055 Times on 1757 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Yes. But I did my best to cover.

I practiced around the house first to see if there were any chance of it being seen.
Then came the endless line of holsters,
Then the trying of different handguns.

And I am still looking to find the best way to carry concealed.

And I still get a little worried today.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #3

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Yes I was but the more I carried the more comfortable I got with it.I'm so comfortable with it now that it's become part of my routine in fact I am more likely to leave my house without my phone than I am to forget my carry pistol and my wallet.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #4

Liked 84 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 177

See i dont have my ccw yet and im worried that if i walk down the street open carry ill get stopped and harassed. In this city not to many people open carry. you see it maybe once every few months or so. And i have been practicing at home for when i get my ccw the holster i have is a inside and outside the pants holster and is ambidextrious. Cept i cant seem to find the right spot to put my gun where its concealed. I thought i picked a small enough gun to be easy to conceal buts its proving challenging. And i have a Sig P238. I believe its a sub compact. I have the standard mag with 6+1 rnds and the extended 7+1 with the plate on the bottom that adds enough room for your pinky to fit on the gun.

EDIT: I also live in a rather bad part of town hence why i bought the gun and why i feel the need to carry it.

• Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 .40 S&W

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #5

Liked 51 Times on 38 Posts

Nope to then and nope to now twenty one years later. Some things just start easy.

Tex

Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 943 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 206

I did... it quickly passed

Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #7

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

I was nervous at first. But after a while you realize that if you leave it alone no one will notice it. It is when you are always messing with it that people notice. Most people are oblivious to everything around them. Many people wouldn't notice if you were open carrying.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

TekGreg Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3046 Times on 1763 Posts
Likes Given: 1891

Oh yeah!

I was nervous, because the state I was carrying in considered me a felon.

It was during the Christmas season & I was carrying thousands of dollars in cash daily!

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:36 AM   #9

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Being prior service, it wasn't a new thing for me to carry a gun. The new thing was that everyone else wasn't!

I carried around the house for two days I think, when I lived in Mississippi, just to see if I was effectively concealing.

When I moved to Louisiana in the midst of a nasty divorce, I couldn't afford the concealed carry permit. I still can't, but I DID just recently find out that it's priced closer to within my reach because I don't have to take the class (because of veteran status). That alone saves me a hundred bucks, the cheapest going rate for the class (they can vary, but they're not supposed to. The instructor may charge extra for snacks or meals)

Because of this, I open carry here. Now THAT makes things feel a bit different. Back in MS, I was among mostly other rednecks like me, but they were unarmed (most of them), and I could hide it. Now, I'm among those unarmed, and can't LEGALLY hide mine.

Almost feels like walking around with my tallywhacker hanging out, but not quite. Where I'm at is pretty pro gun, so people actually act like they've seen one before and no one has shown any concern.

It also helped a lot that a good friend of mine is a plainclothes cop and we've gone to the store together, errands running, and what not, while both of us open carrying, one of us with a badge next to his. Real confidence booster.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

No, not at all, but I grew up in a different ERA and community (ranching family), guns were really not villainized. It was ok to have a gun rack in your pick up, with a rifle, a shotgun and a lariat held in place. When you drove to town etc.

Open carry in AZ has always been on the books, you just had to make sure if you were wearing a jacket (cold weather) that enough of your holster was exposed to easily identified as such.

After the ARMY, I became a Deputy Sheriff, and spent the next 30 years in the LEO field. So carrying has been a daily deal for me, even now that I'm retired. Since my disability I hardly open carry anymore except for my fighting cane.

Become steel or get cut.