Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > when talking to the police you should.........?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #41
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7401 Times on 4276 Posts
Likes Given: 9522

I am in a bit of a unique situation. I live in a county in CA where it is literally impossible to obtain a CCW unless you are a close personal friend of the Sheriff (I don't associate with kuntz, so that is out), and donate $20K to her favorite charity (which is sometimes her re-election campaign fund- something I have donemy best to counter-balance within my means), and be politically connected. Anyhow, not gonna happen for me while this biotch Sheriff is in office.

I do own several small businesses ,some of which deal mainly in cash, so some of the local law enforcement officers who know me seem to think I carry. I am not going to tell them I do or am, and they do not ask. There was one situation a couple of years ago when some dickhead fired off a magazine full out in the woods bordering one of my leased areas. The rangers who have jurisdiction but are unarmed were the first to show up, and they stayed close by me and my buddy until the deputies arrived. Nothing was said, just an understanding that some of them have and some of them don't.

I did have one jerk State Park Ranger ask if I had a gun in my truck once. I never gave him a straight answer (it was not in a traffic stop or anything, we were just shooting the breeze.)

Had a deputy pull me over for rolling a stop sign late at night one night in a very, very rural area where there was no traffic, and the deputy was hidden and blacked out down a side road. Had a loaded shotty on the seat next to me. I told him it was there as he approached. He advised me to cover it up and not say anything in the future. Also let me go for rolling the stop.

Now, I also know a guy who was once pulled over after lighting up the tires on his GTO as he was leaving a small boonie town watering hole. The cop asked "You got any drugs or guns in the car?"

Idiot replies "Why? Are you out?"

He spent the next three hours sitting on the side of the road in handcuffs. He did have his G20 loaded in his briefcase on the seat. He is also "connected" with a local federal judge, but it took those three hours before his influence was made available.

For whatever that's worth.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I will admit I did not read the whole thread (not yet anyways) but it is better to be safe than sorry. I got pulled over in November and did not have a gun at the time but I let him know just so I can be safe. He actually told me not to say anything unless I have a gun on me but I do not want to take the chance in the future. I would rather just notify them and be safe.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #43

Liked 198 Times on 137 Posts

I always notify them because 99% of the time ive got it attached to my right hip in the 4 o'clock position. Ive had local cops let me off with verble warnings for speeding 10, 15, even 30 miles over the limit because i notified them and showed i cared for thier safety. Of course im sure the 2A and "Molon Labe" stickers on my truck serve as a pretty clear warning as well.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 355 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I don't know where you are. Laws differ from state to state. In Wisconsin, even on a traffic stop, you are under no obligation to inform the LEO that you are carrying. If you are just talking to a cop, standing in line at Wendy's, I wouldn't say anything. If you are talking to the officer because of some type of official business, I would certainly inform the officer...even in Wisconsin. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 02-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #45

Liked 255 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I live in Alabama and I do not have to inform an officer that I am carrying but I do out of courtesy. Both times I've been stopped since I got my ccp I handed the officer my permit with my license and insurance, and both times they asked where the weapon was and I told them on my right hip. The first time the officer was a little a hole'ish and just said to leave it where it was. The second officer to pull me over was a super nice guy and when I told him, he asked what I carried and we ended up talking bout guns for about an hour, and by the time we got done talking I believe he had completely forgotten why he pulled me over, and we have been good friends ever since.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 AM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 310 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 107

And....When you're asked to "step out of the vehicle"...never tell the cop, "It's cold out, why don't you just come around and get in the cab?"

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 AM   #47

Liked 255 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan View Post
And....When you're asked to "step out of the vehicle"...never tell the cop, "It's cold out, why don't you just come around and get in the cab?"
Also you might not want to say " I'm to drunk to get out, you get in".
Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 526 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
i notified them and showed i cared for thier safety.
because if you didn't notify them, their safety is at serious risk.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 AM   #49
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 579 Times on 275 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
because if you didn't notify them, their safety is at serious risk.
How so? You're suggesting he might be tempted to shoot them if they weren't informed? If the officer didn't ask and its only a traffic stop and not required by state/local law keep your mouth shut! Why complicate a routine stop, unless you're hoping your disclosure will get you off? If you're looking to make new friends join a local range.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 526 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
How so? You're suggesting he might be tempted to shoot them if they weren't informed?
apparently the sarcasm was buried a little too deep