when talking to the police you should.........? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > when talking to the police you should.........?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Here in Michigan, we're obliged to inform the officer ASAP. Let him/her decide what's next. Although it's not required, it's not a bad idea to give the officer a heads-up even if you're a passenger.
Yep you gotta love Michigan firearm laws. Hey Donn what part of Michigan are you from?

Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
It depends on the law in your home state. In NC we are required to tell the officer we are armed if the officer puts the blue lights on and pulls you over. I have been pulled over several times because the officer was trying to locate someone in my neighborhood to serve a warrant. I tell them I am armed and the officers are very relaxed. I answer any questions the officer asks and I go about my business.

Most of the time when officers ask weird questions or make jokes they are watching to see how you react. I had one officer ask if I had any hand grenades, rocket launchers or explosives. I told him I sold my bat mobile. He laughed and sent me on my way.
I live in N.C. also, should've mentioned that.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #13

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by invicta8926 View Post
I live in N.C. also, should've mentioned that.
The law here (NC) says you are obligated to inform when approached by an officer (paraphrasing).

It makes no differentiation whether that interaction is of a social or business nature.

A few years ago, in line at a store a uniformed officer struck up a 'small talk' type of conversation with me...(weather, sports type of stuff). I showed him my CCW card just to err on the side of caution. He didn't seem to care much in that particular situation, kind of just brushed it off.

I think, for me, even if it is just a social interaction, I'll still err on the side of caution in public.

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by invicta8926 View Post
I know you are supposed to make Leos aware that you are carrying, but what if he just start s joking with you out of the blue? Even if he just ask you a general question about some random thing do you still have to tell him you are carrying?
I usually let the circumstances be my guide. If he is talking to me in an official capacity I will inform him. If we're just joking around in a checkout line or something I let it ride. Note: Florida law at this point does not require me to inform the officer of my weapon.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #15

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
Yep you gotta love Michigan firearm laws. Hey Donn what part of Michigan are you from?
Southeast, outside of Detroit, but not far enough

Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #16
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6323 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 6803

Law and common sense are two diff articles altogether. My Motto,"Live to Fight Another Day". Too much depending on me to risk any self inflicted face-plants, (Wife, Kids, Grandkids, Morgage, Taxes, Jobs....).

Most of my friends who carry would say something if they were part of any discussion that had any nature or level of inquisition involved in it. At that point, its best to put all the cards on the table, I can think of very few situations where that's not best policy, especially in NY State, the most Gun Toting Liberal State in the Union, go figure.....

Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Here in Michigan, we're obliged to inform the officer ASAP. Let him/her decide what's next. Although it's not required, it's not a bad idea to give the officer a heads-up even if you're a passenger.
{sigh}

IANAL, but 2A attorneys have advised me differently.

You are only required to inform if you're being detained. Casual conversation does not require it. And yes a passenger in a car is being detained and you are required to inform.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Only ten states require notification of CCW upon official contact. If a LEO in other carry states asks you must produce CCW and ID.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 01-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #19

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
{sigh}

IANAL, but 2A attorneys have advised me differently.

You are only required to inform if you're being detained. Casual conversation does not require it. And yes a passenger in a car is being detained and you are required to inform.
You're right. I should've been more specific. That said, casual conversations between LEO's and I are very few and far between. Nothing against them, it just doesn't happen very often.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6323 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 6803

Quote:
You're right. I should've been more specific. That said, casual conversations between LEO's and I are very few and far between. Nothing against them, it just doesn't happen very often.
Yup, pretty much the same here. I try not to need or cause them to seek me for any reasons. Thats worked out for me pretty good so far!