Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > when talking to the police you should.........?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default when talking to the police you should.........?

I know you are supposed to make Leos aware that you are carrying, but what if he just start s joking with you out of the blue? Even if he just ask you a general question about some random thing do you still have to tell him you are carrying?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #2

Liked 225 Times on 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by invicta8926
I know you are supposed to make Leos aware that you are carrying, but what if he just start s joking with you out of the blue? Even if he just ask you a general question about some random thing do you still have to tell him you are carrying?
Actually you may not have any obligation to tell a police officer anything,much less that your carrying. It depends on your local and state laws where you live.

We don't have an obligation to tell an officer were carrying where I live,and I wouldn't do so if he wasn't talking to me on official business. Usually an officer will ask for your ID or drivers license if he's stopped you for serious police business. That's the point that I would hand him my HCP with my DL just out of respect.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #3

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where I live they put a stamp on your DL showin a ccl AND they give you a seperate id for it too

Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1385 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 482

It depends on the law in your home state. In NC we are required to tell the officer we are armed if the officer puts the blue lights on and pulls you over. I have been pulled over several times because the officer was trying to locate someone in my neighborhood to serve a warrant. I tell them I am armed and the officers are very relaxed. I answer any questions the officer asks and I go about my business.

Most of the time when officers ask weird questions or make jokes they are watching to see how you react. I had one officer ask if I had any hand grenades, rocket launchers or explosives. I told him I sold my bat mobile. He laughed and sent me on my way.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

People Like This 
Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20030 Times on 11390 Posts
Likes Given: 50532

in some states you are required to inform the officer you are carrying if it's in the course of his official business. meaning, stopped for a moving violation and asked for your ID, then yes, you would be required to surrender such information.

if you happen to be at the local corner store and the two of you are chatting about the weather or the local high school football scores, then no, you wouldn't be required to. in that situation, you are just two people discussing a topic of interest.

wizard63 Likes This 
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

LEO normally can guess if you carry.

Just as I check out others to see if they are carrying (the signs are there). A protusion on the opposite side of where someone carries a phone (and most right handed people carry the phone on the left side, and CW on the right), one leg of the jeans seems to be tighter than the other, etc....

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #7

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
LEO normally can guess if you carry.

Just as I check out others to see if they are carrying (the signs are there). A protusion on the opposite side of where someone carries a phone (and most right handed people carry the phone on the left side, and CW on the right), one leg of the jeans seems to be tighter than the other, etc....
It was very wierd for me to put my phone case on my left side when I started to carry a firearm. It took me some getting use to having my phone on the opposite side. Ive noticed more people carrying now that I do.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1551 Posts
Likes Given: 1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk View Post
It was very wierd for me to put my phone case on my left side when I started to carry a firearm. It took me some getting use to having my phone on the opposite side. Ive noticed more people carrying now that I do.
We develop a habit of looking over people we meet to see if they could be carrying. It is a way of our learning by the mistakes of others.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #9

Liked 349 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here in Michigan, we're obliged to inform the officer ASAP. Let him/her decide what's next. Although it's not required, it's not a bad idea to give the officer a heads-up even if you're a passenger.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5669 Times on 2807 Posts
Likes Given: 6035

My take on is the same if your packing legal heat or not.

The person with the gun, badge and handcuffs is called "Sir", "Mam", Officer or another friendly term

If you have any type of weapon on or near your person, you should feel compelled to allow them to find that out with your words, not by a fluke of bad luck or some misunderstanding.

Friendly and calm are more appreciated by most Law Enforcement than agitated and derogatory, they already know we pay their salary, nothing good will ever come of reminding them

Dont challenge the judgement of the officer at the time of "the Occurrence"; that's what courtrooms are for, obviously the person with the badge has the upper hand at the moment in question and you have very little to say about it that wont make things worse.

Understand that the best an officer can hope for is their "Occurrences" will all be inconsequential but they arent all without death and or injury to them or us. They dont get second chances to make a perfect decision and the onus is on us to make it as easier to not be worried about our actions at that moment.

So far, 99% of the very few interactions in my life Ive had with the Law have been summarily dismissed with a warning by the law-persons themselves or in court with a minor slap on the wrist.