when is it ok? or is it ok? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

when is it ok? or is it ok?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Not having been at the scene during the crisis, it's difficult to determine whether it was reasonably safe to get a clear shot at the perp w'out hitting anyone else.

Had I been there and determined that the perp was close enough for a clear, unobstructed shot - or shots, yes, I believe it would not only have been my right, but my duty to incapacitate him, forthwith, and let the consequential chips fall where they may.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #32

Shoot him, don't hit bystanders, and figure you may, or may not be arrested. No doubt the killer's family will sue.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #33

Likes Given: 3

All good responses here. I guess very few things are as they seem, nothing is "black & white" as in the perfect world of decisions.

If your mind is right, If you can define the threat, If you have the means, If you have a clear shot, , , and the Ifs go on and on.

Each situation is different, I think he did right.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:57 AM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I may be WAY out of line here but after reading all the " I woulda shot the guy" I wonder how many that said that have actually faced that demon.
Never EVER think it is an easy thing to do.
I have carried a gun in one form or another since I was 19. (Thank you Uncle Sam.)
I grew up hunting. Took my first animal when I was 11.
All I'm saying is it isn't easy to pull that trigger when ending a human life is at stake. It not a decision to taken lightly.
Fox Alpha. OUT

Old 03-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #35

If i was there i would of took the shot. Like the other guy said thats a govenor, why else have a gun.just my opinion.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #36

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepler View Post
If i was there i would of took the shot. Like the other guy said thats a govenor, why else have a gun.just my opinion.
So, you would be OK with possibly hitting the one of the peopel that where wrestling with the guy when you approached the scene? (as per the CC guy stated). He also says at first he didn't know who the bad huy was when he first approached. I guess he could have just took them all out to be safe. What was behind the target once you do define who the bad guy is? You're going to take the shot on a person being wrestled with by two people and you don't know whats behind the target. You must be an excellent shot. I practice out to 50 yards all the time with my carry handguns and I don't believe I could of taken that shot No matter who the shooter had taken already. From the reports the shooting had stopped by the time the CC guy got there. And two people where trying to take the shooter to the ground and take his weapon. So more than likely even if you don't hit one of the two fighting him you would be shooting an unarmed man. AS well as possibly hitting another bystander.Now who is the AZ shooter? Or would it be shooters?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #37

Liked 3304 Times on 1663 Posts
Likes Given: 452

With the information available, it sounds like the CC citizen was late to the party. With what we know, it sounds as though taking a shot after he arrived would have been dangerous. Seems like he took the appropriate action for the situation he was presented with.
It's all conjecture anyway.
As to where all the CC people were: It was a gathering for a Democratic Congresswoman. Granted she was better than most, but democratic party constituency isn't known for it's love of CC, or firearms in general.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 03-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Honestly being shot at is nothing new at least where I from, I've practiced enough with firearms that I would be comfortable to just have shot him. The only problem I would have had that night is wishing that I had gotten to him sooner.

The decision to take someones life to save others isn't a hard one. In a situation like this a person has only a few seconds to react and make a decision , to where people have years to rip what they did apart or criticize what they did.

Anyone can say that they would have just shot them but he did save lives, while he could have saved time and effort and put two in his chest but he made the choice right then. Hell he could have just hit the deck and waited for it all to be over but I actually congratulate this men for being either brace enough or stupid enough to charge a armed man.

still personally I would have just shot him without caring for the legal issues that would fallow me. Honestly what jury would convict a man who saved a bunch of peoples lives from a crazed shooter.

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshooter View Post
I may be WAY out of line here but after reading all the " I woulda shot the guy" I wonder how many that said that have actually faced that demon.
Never EVER think it is an easy thing to do.
I have carried a gun in one form or another since I was 19. (Thank you Uncle Sam.)
I grew up hunting. Took my first animal when I was 11.
All I'm saying is it isn't easy to pull that trigger when ending a human life is at stake. It not a decision to taken lightly.
Fox Alpha. OUT
I agree that it may be difficult for some people to take the shot or in this argument to shoot another human but i honestly know i wouldnt lose one minute of sleep over taking another humans life if they were willing to take mine. so your answer to your question "I wonder how many that said that have actually faced that demon." i wouldnt hesitate one bit man, one right in the noggin.

Last edited by 500mag_guy; 03-24-2011 at 02:39 AM.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 PM   #40
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 575 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 1746

it would really depend on the stuation its not always gonna work in the good guys favor even with all the good intentions in the world you would still have to take all varibles at the time into consideration befor you just start firing your gun at one person in a huge crowd of people who were all probably in a panic..