When Was The Last Time Your Revolver......?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > When Was The Last Time Your Revolver......?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default When Was The Last Time Your Revolver......?

When was the last time your revolver jammed????

LOL, made you look!!! Sorry guys but some of those resposes in the thread:"WOULD YOU CARRY A REVOLVER?" pressured me into getting a little goofy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #2

I can't remember the last time it happened to me, but it dosen't happen often.
Usually it's caused by an ejector rod that backs out after extended firing, or if you're shooting reloads, a primer that isn't seated all the way will jam against the breechface and halt cylinder rotation.

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 04-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #3

and dont forget the famous dropped it in mud jam that one is great

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 04-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #4

Actually, I had a revolver jam on me last week.

No, Really.

- My dad bought a 44 special and told me that it kept jamming on him. Since I was skeptical I borrowed it and went to the range... Sure enough, it couldn't make it to the end of a box of ammo without seizing up.

Seems to be a problem with the cylinder out of tolerance. Or at least, that's what my local gunsmith thinks after a long phone conversation (I'm skipping details here.) ... He'll have it soon to confirm/fix.

Don't mind me... I'm just the comic-relief talking-bear.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:39 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my mom has a lady s&w .38. she thought it was jamming at the range, turns out a piece just broke off and it wouldn't revolve. anyone ever had that problem?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The S&W revolvers once had the right handed extractor rod threads, which would sometimes back out, causing the cylinder to bind.The Yoke/Crane retaining screw can cause cylinder binding if it backs out. Metal tool shavings from the factory have been known to bind the trigger lock work up.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:37 PM   #7

To be honest I have never experienced a problem myself, I have heard of the very occasional difficulty with a revolver, and all when down to poor maintance or a worn or damaged cylinder hand (cowboy damage). I once bought an aged M36, fired ok but the ejector rod was bent (caused by a gangster movie mad individual repeatedly tossing the cylinder into the frame whilst pouting with a hand dog look reminisant of Philip Marlowe!), had to straighten it out with a hammer (forging I think they call it, not to alarm the customers). Even though it was a first model it served me well for a number of years.

All joking aside, like all things machanical they need a little looking after, but notwithstanding my view is that the revolver is utterly dependable, a good choice and variety of ammunition, and yes, still has a place as a defensive firearm.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #8

The only revolver I have jam on me is my 1851 Navy. It's a .36 cal and the spent caps have a tendency to split and fall where they block the cylinder from revolving.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed21 View Post
The only revolver I have jam on me is my 1851 Navy. It's a .36 cal and the spent caps have a tendency to split and fall where they block the cylinder from revolving.

I think it's down to qualitity of the caps, and in the old days they tended I've been told that beeswax was used to assist in keeping them on. I suppose you needed something of the like in them days, particularly when your waggons surrounded with arrows in your hat?......................

Old 05-05-2008, 02:00 AM   #10

Mine jammed once, after a slap on the side it never did it again. My autos have jammed more than once.