Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > When to clean your CCW?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default When to clean your CCW?

I always try to clean my guns after each use, especially after learning that the residues left from shooting can cause corrosion. But, I always wonder if I made any mistakes putting it together. I'm not saying I'm not familiar enough with my firearms to field strip and reassemble them. I just wonder if maybe I missed/forgot something. Only one time have I had to re-reassemble something. That was a Ruger MK II and I got something on the wrong side of a pin so you couldn't pull the trigger.

Anyway, my question is do you guys carry a freshly cleaned gun, or do you clean it every so many rounds, or every so many weeks, or what?

I'm leaning toward every couple hundred rounds or every month or two whichever comes first, and not carrying it until it's been fired.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5325 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 338

in a lot of ways CCW is a much harsher environment than the shooting range. you have lint dirt sweat possible food stuffs all coating the gun. at least weekly with a daily wipe down.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

what JonM said^^^^^

Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
in a lot of ways CCW is a much harsher environment than the shooting range. you have lint dirt sweat possible food stuffs all coating the gun. at least weekly with a daily wipe down.
I planned on doing the daily wipe down routine, and I cas see what you said makes more sense. At least once a week it'll be.

What about the idea of firing it after the cleaning/before carrying? Good idea or am I just asking for problems by constantly having residues in the barrel?
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse17 View Post
I planned on doing the daily wipe down routine, and I cas see what you said makes more sense. At least once a week it'll be.

What about the idea of firing it after the cleaning/before carrying? Good idea or am I just asking for problems by constantly having residues in the barrel?
I wouldn't bother making sure it fires every time you disassemble/reassemble. If you are that worried, get some snap caps and dry fire it in your house to make sure its functioning. A CCW with few parts to remove for cleaning could help. My M&P has the slide, recoil spring, and barrel - its impossible to assemble it wrong. Also, I have 100% confidence my 442 will fire after cleaning it .

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #6

exactly what JonM said, I carry a sig 228, went shooting one day after not cleaning it in a long while. It would not feed. After I got home I took it all apart and cleaned it, it functioned fine. I clean it about once every other week, but weekly would be better. Just glad I was shooting for fun!

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I wouldn't bother making sure it fires every time you disassemble/reassemble. If you are that worried, get some snap caps and dry fire it in your house to make sure its functioning. A CCW with few parts to remove for cleaning could help. My M&P has the slide, recoil spring, and barrel - its impossible to assemble it wrong. Also, I have 100% confidence my 442 will fire after cleaning it .
Dan, you're the man!
I totally forgot about dry firing it (I don't have any issues with dry firing a 1911) or snap caps.

OK, it's settled then. My CCW will be cleaned after each use or once a weekish, whichever comes first, and will be tested with a snap cap or dry firing when finished.
ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!

Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #8

Liked 1763 Times on 1130 Posts
Likes Given: 904

Generally when it's dirty. And being an IWB carry, fairly frequently. Gotta watch out for that B.B.L.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I function check my CC daily when I take it off and in many years never found anything that required a cleaning. All the same I clean any firearm after use. IMHO all tools work best when clean. Might not make a big difference but "might not" isn't something I'm willing to accept if the time comes that I need my firearm.

How much would it suck to understand in the last seconds of your life that your firearm jammed or failed to fire because you didn't take the ten minutes to clean it after using it.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 04-16-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:37 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I function check my CC daily when I take it off and in many years never found anything that required a cleaning. All the same I clean any firearm after use. IMHO all tools work best when clean. Might not make a big difference but "might not" isn't something I'm willing to accept if the time comes that I need my firearm.

How much would it suck to understand in the last seconds of your life that your firearm jammed or failed to fire because you didn't take the ten minutes to clean it after using it.
This was never a question about saving time by not cleaning. It was a question about verifying the functionality of a CCW after cleaning. How much would it suck to understand in the last seconds of your life that your firearm jammed or failed to fire because you didn't take the ten minutes to make sure it worked after assembling it?

Never the less, I've come to the conclusion that dry firing after cleaning will be sufficient enough of a check.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!