Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   When to clean your CCW? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/when-clean-your-ccw-41271/)

Jesse17 04-14-2011 07:46 PM

When to clean your CCW?

I always try to clean my guns after each use, especially after learning that the residues left from shooting can cause corrosion. But, I always wonder if I made any mistakes putting it together. I'm not saying I'm not familiar enough with my firearms to field strip and reassemble them. I just wonder if maybe I missed/forgot something. Only one time have I had to re-reassemble something. That was a Ruger MK II and I got something on the wrong side of a pin so you couldn't pull the trigger.

Anyway, my question is do you guys carry a freshly cleaned gun, or do you clean it every so many rounds, or every so many weeks, or what?

I'm leaning toward every couple hundred rounds or every month or two whichever comes first, and not carrying it until it's been fired.

JonM 04-14-2011 07:57 PM

in a lot of ways CCW is a much harsher environment than the shooting range. you have lint dirt sweat possible food stuffs all coating the gun. at least weekly with a daily wipe down.

m72law 04-14-2011 08:13 PM

what JonM said^^^^^

Jesse17 04-14-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 486376)
in a lot of ways CCW is a much harsher environment than the shooting range. you have lint dirt sweat possible food stuffs all coating the gun. at least weekly with a daily wipe down.

I planned on doing the daily wipe down routine, and I cas see what you said makes more sense. At least once a week it'll be.

What about the idea of firing it after the cleaning/before carrying? Good idea or am I just asking for problems by constantly having residues in the barrel?

dnthmn2004 04-14-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse17 (Post 486416)
I planned on doing the daily wipe down routine, and I cas see what you said makes more sense. At least once a week it'll be.

What about the idea of firing it after the cleaning/before carrying? Good idea or am I just asking for problems by constantly having residues in the barrel?

I wouldn't bother making sure it fires every time you disassemble/reassemble. If you are that worried, get some snap caps and dry fire it in your house to make sure its functioning. A CCW with few parts to remove for cleaning could help. My M&P has the slide, recoil spring, and barrel - its impossible to assemble it wrong. Also, I have 100% confidence my 442 will fire after cleaning it :rolleyes:.

laynejc 04-14-2011 10:40 PM

exactly what JonM said, I carry a sig 228, went shooting one day after not cleaning it in a long while. It would not feed. After I got home I took it all apart and cleaned it, it functioned fine. I clean it about once every other week, but weekly would be better. Just glad I was shooting for fun!

Jesse17 04-14-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 (Post 486446)
I wouldn't bother making sure it fires every time you disassemble/reassemble. If you are that worried, get some snap caps and dry fire it in your house to make sure its functioning. A CCW with few parts to remove for cleaning could help. My M&P has the slide, recoil spring, and barrel - its impossible to assemble it wrong. Also, I have 100% confidence my 442 will fire after cleaning it :rolleyes:.

Dan, you're the man!
I totally forgot about dry firing it (I don't have any issues with dry firing a 1911) or snap caps. http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/kopfpatsch.gif

OK, it's settled then. My CCW will be cleaned after each use or once a weekish, whichever comes first, and will be tested with a snap cap or dry firing when finished.

boatme98 04-15-2011 11:08 PM

Generally when it's dirty. And being an IWB carry, fairly frequently. Gotta watch out for that B.B.L. :eek:

WDB 04-16-2011 01:31 AM

I function check my CC daily when I take it off and in many years never found anything that required a cleaning. All the same I clean any firearm after use. IMHO all tools work best when clean. Might not make a big difference but "might not" isn't something I'm willing to accept if the time comes that I need my firearm.

How much would it suck to understand in the last seconds of your life that your firearm jammed or failed to fire because you didn't take the ten minutes to clean it after using it.

Jesse17 04-16-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WDB (Post 487430)
I function check my CC daily when I take it off and in many years never found anything that required a cleaning. All the same I clean any firearm after use. IMHO all tools work best when clean. Might not make a big difference but "might not" isn't something I'm willing to accept if the time comes that I need my firearm.

How much would it suck to understand in the last seconds of your life that your firearm jammed or failed to fire because you didn't take the ten minutes to clean it after using it.

This was never a question about saving time by not cleaning. It was a question about verifying the functionality of a CCW after cleaning. How much would it suck to understand in the last seconds of your life that your firearm jammed or failed to fire because you didn't take the ten minutes to make sure it worked after assembling it?

Never the less, I've come to the conclusion that dry firing after cleaning will be sufficient enough of a check.