whats in your magazine when you carry?,FMJ,Hollow point,etc - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > whats in your magazine when you carry?,FMJ,Hollow point,etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have Hornady critical defense hollow points in my .45, and Speer gold dot hollows in my 9mm.

I don't like the idea of using anything but hollow points for personal defense.
IF I ever needed to fire my guns in self defense, I want to hit my intended target and not have to worry about it going through him and hitting an innocent person that may possibly be standing behind him.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 AM   #12

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Winchester PDX1 Bonded in my .380 & Federal HST in the others.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #13

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

I carry RBCD in my Sig .45 and I found it in 5.56 so its also loaded in my LWRC SPR M6. Now when ever these threads come up I always see what every one else used and then I list what I carry and I apparently am the only one so I'm thinking either I know something that everyone else doesn't or everyone else knows something I dont.........

But I dont buy cheap firearms and I dont load them with cheap ammo and hope for quality results.....hmmm that's just me check out these if you have a few minutes.

Last edited by GunRunner; 05-06-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

primary choice is Hornady XTP's and some Speer GoldDot Short Barrel ammo. i use FMJ and reloads with Hornady's XTP's for practice.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #15

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDMIST89 View Post
im curious what everyone carries far as ammunition goes when you carry,like brand and is it FMJs,hollow point,cross cut hollows..etc?, not caliber.I myself currently have 2 mags(one i carry) full of federal ammunition FMJ rounds as my carry/practice ammo,but im thinkin of switching to hollowpoint as if a SHTF situation occures..i wanna have the most effect i can. so What do you guys carry?
FMJ is your best bet. It is least likely to jam when being fed by the slide.

Since your HD or SD will be solo, you cannot afford to have your weapon jam on you.

At any rate, when I open/carry loaded/chambered with the hammer down, it is with FMJs. I don't own anything but FMJ for my 45ACP. To answer your question.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
I have Hornady critical defense hollow points in my .45, and Speer gold dot hollows in my 9mm.

I don't like the idea of using anything but hollow points for personal defense.
IF I ever needed to fire my guns in self defense, I want to hit my intended target and not have to worry about it going through him and hitting an innocent person that may possibly be standing behind him.
That's the usual LEO argument for using hollow points.

LEOs can be involved in shootouts around crowds.

For a typical civilian however, crowd problems are unlikely since you are most likely to be accosted by a perp when you are alone.

So your hollow points are more likely to jam your weapon than FMJs would.

Also if your perp was thinking ahead and wore a vest, then your hollow points will be more easily absorbed by the vest and not penetrate it, unlike a FMJ which would penetrate deeper.

For most people I suspect the true reason they are using hollow points is simply the love of the thought of the morbidity.

However I do like your taste in motorcycles UNinja, so don't take offense. Just saying ... .

Last edited by Shoobee; 05-06-2012 at 11:29 AM.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #17

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

For a typical civilian however, crowd problems are unlikely since you are most likely to be accosted by a perp when you are alone.

Also if your perp was thinking ahead and wore a vest, then your hollow points will be more easily absorbed by the vest and not penetrate it, unlike a FMJ which would penetrate deeper.

For most people I suspect the true reason they are using hollow points is simply the love of the thought of the morbidity.

However I do like your taste in motorcycles UNinja, so don't take offense. Just saying ... .
Yeah civilians should never worry about over penetration :rollseyes:

Been firing JHP rounds out of my handguns for years without a chambering issue.

As for perps with the forethought to wear a vest, i'm not even gonna touch that one other than to say you CAN shoot a bg in the head. And 2 or 3 .45 jhp rounds center mass is still gonna take the wind out of a perps sails despite the vest

Last edited by PlaysWithZombies; 05-06-2012 at 11:43 AM.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies View Post
Yeah civilians should never worry about over penetration :rollseyes:

Been firing JHP rounds out of my handguns for years without a chambering issue.

As for perps with the forethought to wear a vest, i'm not even gonna touch that one other than to say you CAN shoot a bg in the head. And 2 or 3 .45 jhp rounds center mass is still gonna take the wind out of a perps sails despite the vest
We need a poll.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #19
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

i shoot a lot of JHP in all of my pistols and have not ever had a problem with failure to feed or extract. the only reason i even shoot FMJ is for cheap ammo to practice with and for the cases.

perp wearing a wearing a bulletproof vest? yeah, i'm sure that scenario happens quite a lot! even if the off chance, (1 in say 1,000,000 chances!) wearing one, a FMJ doesn't penetrate any further than a JHP. go look it up on the tests they use to certify them. even so, if the BG were wearing, i would then park a couple in his head.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee

None taken.

Around here, its not uncommon to be confronted in a public area during the middle of the day anymore though.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"