Whats your home setup for self-defense and carrying while home?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

Whats your home setup for self-defense and carrying while home?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 283 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default Whats your home setup for self-defense and carrying while home?

Serious topic, and got me revisiting my own setup after reading this FTF article:

Do-You-Carry-At-Home

Right now, for me with a 2 year old and a baby its tough and my system is constantly changing as they age. When my 2 year old was much younger I occasionally carried IWB in the house after work....until I put it on my nightstand for the night.

Now, because shes older and WAY more active and likes to play and roll around....I do not carry while at home. Its just too risky in my opinion. When I return from work....I put it atop a tall china closet downstairs until its bedtime, then it goes in my closet shelf in a small digital lockbox....WAY higher than she could ever reach or access. I keep the lockbox unlocked at night in case I need to grab it ASAP, and never a round in the chamber. I lock all doors & set my house alarm once the sun goes down and it stays on til I leave the next morning.

for now, this system works for me and is about as good as I can get it with 2 little ones and occasional company during the week.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments to contribute? I need to strike the perfect balance of safety with comfort and security.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #2

Liked 431 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 1590

I have a GP 100 w/ a strong trigger pull as a nighstand gun and if I keep my ammo in a speedloader next to an empty gun. no 2 yr will be able to load and fire that revolver

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Old 10-18-2013, 01:38 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
I have a GP 100 w/ a strong trigger pull as a nighstand gun and if I keep my ammo in a speedloader next to an empty gun. no 2 yr will be able to load and fire that revolver
until the two year old does. if you have children, you need something to secure that gun. the last thing you want to have to say to yourself and others is, i didn't think a two year old could have pulled that trigger.
People Like This 
Old 10-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
until the two year old does. if you have children, you need something to secure that gun. the last thing you want to have to say to yourself and others is, i didn't think a two year old could have pulled that trigger.
Yep. I will NEVER be the guy who was over confident that my kid couldnt operate a gun. Those are the infamous last words of the poor souls who lost children this way at young ages.

Nope, my focus is for those who carry all day and come home at night. Whats your system between the time you walk in your front door and the time you go to sleep. Where is your primary defense/carry pistol?
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 01:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Yep. I will NEVER be the guy who was over confident that my kid couldnt operate a gun. Those are the infamous last words of the poor souls who lost children this way at young ages.

Nope, my focus is for those who carry all day and come home at night. Whats your system between the time you walk in your front door and the time you go to sleep. Where is your primary defense/carry pistol?
well i don't carry within the home, but many time do outside when in the woods, because of hogs and snakes. in the home, there is one within close reach pretty much most of the time of some sort. rest assured, because it's only the wife and i and not anyone else in the house, these are not safed, but hidden from view.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:50 AM   #6

Liked 3248 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 2347

i say start with a SUPER keen awareness of where your child is at all times....this can help secure them from more than just firearms.

after that....you are doing the right thing....you have given serious thought to safety and the effectiveness of your HD weapon. in the end, you MUST protect the safety of your children from harm to themselves FIRST. imo, a child harming themselves with a gun I own is probably THE worst case scenario and i would doubt my ability to ever forgive myself.
People Like This 
Old 10-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #7

Liked 2485 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 569

Flip the switch arming the electric fence and claymores.

I wish.
People Like This 
Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Flip the switch arming the electric fence and claymores.

I wish.
want me to send you some?

i wish too!
Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #9

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Our kids are ages 2, 5, 18, and 21... And before anyone asks, Yes, all with the same wife.

My EDC goes on my hip while dressing in the morning and stays there until bedtime. Never been a problem to play with children of any age and IMHO, far less risky than leaving it unsecured, even on a high surface.

With children, 100% retention and following the same routine 100% of the time is a good recipe to avoid accidents.

Not trying to bust your chops but having been a father for 21 years and an EDC guy for 18 years probably means I've pretty much figured this out... However, it does not mean I allow complacency, hence stressing the routing a sticking to it in a disciplined manor.

Oh... and I attached a pic my "early warning/Deterent system" below.

Tack

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Serious topic, and got me revisiting my own setup after reading this FTF article:

Do-You-Carry-At-Home

Right now, for me with a 2 year old and a baby its tough and my system is constantly changing as they age. When my 2 year old was much younger I occasionally carried IWB in the house after work....until I put it on my nightstand for the night.

Now, because shes older and WAY more active and likes to play and roll around....I do not carry while at home. Its just too risky in my opinion. When I return from work....I put it atop a tall china closet downstairs until its bedtime, then it goes in my closet shelf in a small digital lockbox....WAY higher than she could ever reach or access. I keep the lockbox unlocked at night in case I need to grab it ASAP, and never a round in the chamber. I lock all doors & set my house alarm once the sun goes down and it stays on til I leave the next morning.

for now, this system works for me and is about as good as I can get it with 2 little ones and occasional company during the week.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments to contribute? I need to strike the perfect balance of safety with comfort and security.
image.jpg  

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 10-18-2013 at 04:34 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #10

Great post tack, much appreciated.

Yeah I guess your system is built from many more years of experience than me. Maybe I just can't work up the confidence to carry inside the home with the amount of rolling around and playing that I do as a dad.

I'll admit your system is ideal and provides you with only one concern: retention. Mine on the other hand is a constant work in progress. I do have a kickass new custom kydex holster on the way for my XD so maybe I can start building confidence to carry IWB safely inside my home.

Thanks guys, this is something I think about often