Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   What's safer to carry? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/whats-safer-carry-14578/)

Gojubrian 06-07-2009 07:33 PM

What's safer to carry?

A 1911 or polymer like glock or xd?

1911's have the grip safety, but so does xd. Can you carry a round in chamber safely with a 1911?

I've never had a 1911, so I'm really not sure. I've just heard stories, and everyone's is different. :o

Dgunsmith 06-07-2009 08:37 PM

Finger off the trigger until on target and ready to shoot...equally safe.

the 1911 is best carried as designed, condition 1..chamber loaded, cocked and locked. When drawn, thumb safety down..ready to fire. To reholster, thumb safety up and reholster.

Striker fired Glock or XDM no need to manually operate safety except pull the trigger. XDM grip safety will automatically do its job as you grip the pistol.

1911's need more practice to develope muscle memory of function steps until is all comes naturally.

Poly frames usually lighter in weight and higher capacity magazines but a wider grip.

Hope that helps !

Dillinger 06-07-2009 08:38 PM

The 1911 is the safest pistol to carry in Condition 1 - which is a loaded round in the chamber, hammer back, and ready to rock.

The 1911 has three safeties. An internal firing pin block, an external frame mounted safety ( The way God and JMB intended it to be ) and a grip safety. All three need to be disengaged for the weapon to fire.

If the comparison needs to be made for your own personal satisfaction, then you will need to explore that for yourself.

The XD, with the frame mounted safety, is a great step forward over the first and second generation polymer pistols - but they have a LONG way to go to improve over a design that has stood the test of over 100 years of battle proven, knocking enemies d**ks in the dirt, reliability.

In my mind & that of many others, there is the 1911, and then there is everything else.

JD

hunter Joe 06-07-2009 09:09 PM

Always remember, safety is between yours ears, first and foremost. A safety is a mechanical device that can and will fail. A safety should never be a substitute for safe firearm handling. My Glock is only a safe as I am.

Water-Man 06-07-2009 09:18 PM

Keep your finger off the trigger!

WDB 06-08-2009 12:03 AM

With out question the 1911 offers far more safety features than any polly frame pistol. With that said the #1 safety is our finger, keep it off the trigger until your ready to fire. I carry a S&W M&P in condition 1 and believe it to be safe as I keep my finger clear off the trigger until I'm ready to fire. No matter what firearm you shoot this has to be something you learn from the start.

hydrashok 06-08-2009 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter Joe (Post 114320)
Always remember, safety is between yours ears, first and foremost. A safety is a mechanical device that can and will fail. A safety should never be a substitute for safe firearm handling. My Glock is only a safe as I am.

+1

Negligent Discharges (formerly known as accidental discharges) are almost always caused by user error.

I recently read an awesome article about slick slides vs. manual safeties. There have been officer lives saved because the BG got their gun, aimed, and pulled the trigger, but the gun didn't fire because the BG couldn't figure out how to disengage the mechanical safety. The time lapse was enough for either the officer to dispatch the BG with a backup weapon or allow another officer to neutralize the threat. There have also been a few slick slides go off while reholstering due to the trigger catching on something. A Glock went off when an officer went to go poopie and he was hanging his duty weapon on the coathook in the stall. :eek:

While I like the sexy Glock 21 with the mounted streamlight TLR-1 in my thigh rig for tactical operations and training, I carry my Charles Daly Combat Commander (Colt copy) cocked and locked for everyday concealed carry.

UnderFire 06-08-2009 01:56 AM

yeah, I would have to agree that a 1911 is the safest carry
weapon even locked & loaded.

jeepcreep927 06-08-2009 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter Joe (Post 114320)

+10, well stated hunter Joe.

gorknoids 06-08-2009 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 114313)
The 1911 is the safest pistol to carry in Condition 1 - which is a loaded round in the chamber, hammer back, and ready to rock.

The 1911 has three safeties. An internal firing pin block, an external frame mounted safety ( The way God and JMB intended it to be ) and a grip safety. All three need to be disengaged for the weapon to fire.

If the comparison needs to be made for your own personal satisfaction, then you will need to explore that for yourself.

The XD, with the frame mounted safety, is a great step forward over the first and second generation polymer pistols - but they have a LONG way to go to improve over a design that has stood the test of over 100 years of battle proven, knocking enemies d**ks in the dirt, reliability.

In my mind & that of many others, there is the 1911, and then there is everything else.

JD

JD, I do believe that you could make the case that the 1911 is the best poker player of any handgun ever invented!! :) ""Which semi-auto has the best singing voice?"