What is your Self defense plan?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What is your Self defense plan?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Default What is your Self defense plan?

I understand this is a very sensitive, somewhat scary topic thats completely under scrutiny in the eyes of the law....and eyes are watching...so I will proceed with caution and urge people to conduct themselves properly.

Intelligent, honest discussion only. No John McClane's or Dirty Harry's please....

I will refrain from pointing fingers to any board members on here, but in many cases there is a VERY loose attitude about how to handle a deadly self-defense situation. Some folks seem very loose about pointing a gun and squeezing a trigger at even the slightest threats against them.....and that troubles me. Laws vary from state to state in terms of punishment......even in cases of self defense. Your life could literally turn into a full blown nightmare if you jump too soon or make a bad decision, even if you think its the right one.

How many of you out there have planned, and simulated what you will do in a self defense situation? In your car, pumping gas, walking down a random neighborhood, taking out your trash, taking money out of an ATM, at a local corner store, in the middle of the night during a home invasion, etc.

My plan is pretty simple and only has a few parameters: I will first make sure my family isnt in immediate danger if they are with me. If I am alone, I will run away like hell with my phone dialing 911 to get here ASAP and get out as much detail as I can while the adrenaline is pumping. I hope, and pray, that I NEVER in my lifetime get into a situation where drawing my pistol and shooting a person dead is the only option. Scares me more than anything.

Your firearm should be your last resort....always. These days, a person has to be literally on top of you with a weapon in your face and pose serious bodily harm or death for justified self defense shooting.

anyways, I simulate these sort of situations all the time in my mind. I play scenarios about being approached by a man who wants my money at the gas pump.....or walking down a street. I will first play innocent, then run like hell screaming for help and dialing 911 for assistance. Dont be a hero, they usually end up with a lifetime of problems, stress and regrets...or sit in prison if things dont turn out so good.

Feel free to chime in

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; 01-03-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

There is a rule of "know your target and what lies behind it."

That, to me, is identify the target and know the surroundings.
Some situations may only be a panhandler asking for some change, some situations have the panhandler robbing you.

IMO, should I need to draw my firearm, it is to stop the threat. If there is no threat, then I have no need to draw my firearm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
There is a rule of "know your target and what lies behind it."

That, to me, is identify the target and know the surroundings.
Some situations may only be a panhandler asking for some change, some situations have the panhandler robbing you.

IMO, should I need to draw my firearm, it is to stop the threat. If there is no threat, then I have no need to draw my firearm.
Yup. If I draw, it's because there is a threat, and I am about to neutralize that threat. I'm not going to lift or untuck my shirt to reveal that I'm armed, I'm not going to say "stop, go away, I am armed" I'm not going to turn my strong side hip away and put my hand on my weapon in a pose of "I'm ready, don't make be draw because I will"

nope, If I'm drawing my weapon, it's to squeeze the trigger, no other reason.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Define a threat. Some interpret a threat as meaningless as shouting at close quarters.

This is exactly what I mean. The law may not always be at your side unless serious bodily harm or intent to kill can be proven. Every day I try to simulate different scenarios and determine how far Im willing to let a threat get before deciding to pull the trigger

Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #5

Liked 515 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 111

A few months ago I had my self defense plan challenged because I was always assuming one attacker. That was a fair point.

I still need to get my CHL, but after doing some research and looking at some statistics into average shootings, I've definitely decided I will be keeping a spare mag on me at all times and never carry a weapon with less than 5 shots. Derringers, not that I ever looked at them closely, are out out out.

I have a decent semi-compact that will work for concealed carry and plan on getting a pocket auto so I don't have an excuse to be disarmed short of legal reasons.

For home defense the current house layout is horrible. I keep my handgun close at hand with two loaded magazines. There is one hallway going back to both bedrooms. Our dog is getting old so I can't count on her to be alert to an attacker but I'm not going to hold her back either. I doubt she'll attack but will hopefully sound ferocious enough to scare off anyone. My plan would be to hold the hallway while the family stays near the window for a possible bug out. Hardly ideal for my own safety but I have some cover and the bad guys will have a hell of a time getting to anyone. Once I get my new magazine tested I'll have 31 rounds of ready .45 firepower that I can throw down the hallway at any would be attackers.

All-in-all I can see some problems with the plan but it's workable for now.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #6

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

This has been discussed recently and will result the same. I don't plan on drawing my gun ever, I don't practice drawing my gun ever. I consider such actions premeditated and looking for trouble.

I shoot when I can, practicing accuracy so that, in an unfortunate case that I might have to use it in defense, I will be able to do so minimizing possible collateral damage.

Now I won't criticize anyone else for doing what I consider poor judgement, fantasizing and speculative scenario developing, but I'm not interested. It's not practicing readiness or preparedness, it's setting yourself up for a quick to draw attitude and possibly misreading and escalating a situation unnecessarily.

But again, to each their own, people are going to do what they want and will find ways to justify their actions because it suits their purpose and/or agenda.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

My definition of a threat could be different than my wife's, yours, my parents, or your cousins.

If I see something going on that will not involve me directly, I do not consider that a threat to me.

A direct confrontation that cannot be defused and could lead to me or someone else being physically harmed is a threat.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I always try to avoid conflict. I would rather have someone think that I am a coward than to have to explain to a mother why I shot her son.

On the other hand, I do train. And I train often. If you dont practice your draw, how can you be sure that you will not accidentally shoot yourself while drawing in a stressful situation? Don't laugh...it could happen.

IDPA is not as stressful as a real self defense situation. But it is a lot closer than standing in front of a target and shooting from a stationary position. We are required to properly use cover. We are required to use cover when reloading. We train to shoot in tactical order. (shoot the closest threat first) A scenario that was used nationwide for the postal match was as follows...

You are walking from your car to your house with groceries in your weak hand. You meet several attackers as you aproach the house. You must draw and fire two into each target with your strong hand. You step behind cover dropping your groceries. You now see two more bad guys through your living room window. They are holding your spouse hostage. You must put two rounds into each of them without hitting her. You are shooting through the window.

Again this is not real life. But it is stressful. You have a timer go off behind your head. You know that you are competing for time as well as acuracy.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

StainlessSteel215 Likes This 
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
Define a threat. Some interpret a threat as meaningless as shouting at close quarters.

This is exactly what I mean. The law may not always be at your side unless serious bodily harm or intent to kill can be proven. Every day I try to simulate different scenarios and determine how far Im willing to let a threat get before deciding to pull the trigger

if it's just shouting, then I can turn and walk away. I'm going to have a hell of a hard time asking a jury to let me remain a free man because I shot someone who was yelling at me.

If I am cornered and try to walk away, the other party is either going to let me walk, or they will turn the confrontation physical and try to stop me from walking.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #10

Liked 1452 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

My ongoing plan is to continue train and practice so that if the unthinkable happens, I will not have to think about the mechanics of defending myself or someone around me, and be free to analyze the situation around me.

I Keep up with the laws of my state, and will always retreat, if retreat is possible. (though I am in a stand your ground state) I will put up with unlimited lip, I won't be drawn into incidents like road rage, but stay cool, and be aware of my surroundings. I will not insert myself in to other peoples business, but be prepared to defend my or my families life. I have no desire to be a cop, and would ignore any situation that was not life and death, to me or someone else. I would far rather give up my billfold than to kill someone over it. I am a peaceful man and I have no desire to ever harm any human being. If I pull my weapon, it will be because there is nothing left for me to do, no way to avoid what was about to happen. That is the only way I could live with myself afterwords.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

StainlessSteel215 Likes This