What is your preferred 9mm ammo?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What is your preferred 9mm ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What is your preferred 9mm ammo?

Trying to get an idea what you all prefer to shoot thru your 9mm.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just depends...for the range I use a variety of ammo like Remington UMC, Winchester White Box, and I just tried the Winchester SXZ this morning...shot really well out of my G17. While on duty I carry Winchester bonded PDX1 124 +p. Off duty I carry either the same PDX1 or Hornady Critical Defense. I hear great things about the Rangers and my Chief swears by them, so I'll probably be using them pretty soon.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

For the range I'll shoot whatever I have picked up on sale...Winchester White Box, American Eagle, Federal or UMC. For SD either Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester Ranger. Hornady's new Critical Duty looks enticing as well...packs a bit more of a punch than the Critical Defense which is designed not to overpenetrate, the Critical Duty is supposed to be better at defeating barriers and is marketed as a LEO type round similar to the Win Ranger.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

For the range, any ball ammo, usually whatever wally world has. The Winchester White Box seems to be a little dirty, but not a big deal. For SD, Federal HST.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

For practice any ball ammo is fine I stay away from anything Russian and usually don't use steel case .Carry ammo on the other hand there's a handful of differant brands I use but partial to Winchester Ranger .

Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 842 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 180

117gr from a local commercial reloader for general hole punching... BUT, he gave me some 147gr to try for target shooting and holy crap is that stuff accurate. Also a bit pricier

Old 01-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

147 gr fmj over 3.2gr Titegroup for plinking and gaming.

127gr +p+ and 124gr+p Winchester Ranger.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #8

Anything that's not russian for practice.
For carry, critical duty, or + p double tap bonded. or anything with a barnes copper bullet, corbon dpx etc...

Springfield 1911 black loaded target. 460 Rowland.
S&W M&P9 pro 5in.
RSO.
To be voluntarily disarmed is to rely on the honor of the dishonorable.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cheap stuff for practice. Critical Defense for carry.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #10

When carrying I like federal hydrashock or Remington golden sabers
But at the range I just use Winchester or PMC

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards.
-Theodore Roosevelt