What would you have done
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What would you have done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default What would you have done

Last week I was at Best Buy when a heard a ruckus up front. An older man was yelling profanities and causing a disturbance. He then threatened the security officer who asked him to leave. On his way out he smashed his own head into the glass (was obviously mentally unstable). I was ready to leave but wanted to wait until he was gone to go to my car. On my way out I saw him get into a pickup truck and I deliberately took a quick mental description of his truck and plate. As I was getting into my car I heard the distinct crunching sound of him backing into the car behind him and speeding off. Myself and and a female witness got the license plate and security called the police. A few minutes later we were told that they got him and I stuck around with the other witness in case the police needed our information. This is where it gets weird.

A few minutes later to my utter amazement the man in the pick up truck pulls back into best buy with a police officer following behind him. He proceeds to hit the handicapped parking sign as he is pulling in. The officer in the car behind him was a female officer old enough to be my mother oblivious to what was going on. The man gets out out of his car and inspects the damage of the car he hit, pulling off a piece of the tail light and throwing it down in disgust. The officer is still in her car like nothing has happened. I was not carrying at the time (I know, long story). And the female witness started to get scared. At this point I directed us both into the store and waited in amazement as no other police ever came. I started fuming at the unnecessary danger we were put in. For all I know he could have turned his car and driven it into us. I got the officers badge number and called into the towns police department about how it was handled. Never heard back. Bam I wrong for being upset?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8885 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

In my opinion, no, you were NOT wrong to be upset. Matter of fact, I would be calling to have a face-to-face with the supervisors of that department. Whether the collision took place on private property or not, that is still hit-and-run, property damage, which is a CRIMINAL act, and not a traffic violation.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It wasn't just the fact that it was a hot and run but that the guy was extremely unstable. I am assuming that when Best Buy called the police they had told them about what happened before the accident. I don't know how police officers communicate when dispatched but I assume that it would have been communicated to the officer that pulled him over. He had admitted that he hit the car when he was pulled over. As far as the officer was concerned he was fine based on the way he acted when pulled over. He said he had been hitting things all day and they took him to the local hospital. Needless to say, a very unnecessary situation we were put in.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 483 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 159

You don't know how the call was presented to the police. It was probably something like "a man hit a car in the parking lot and drove away. Here's his tag number". The police aren't going to look further than the information that was given to them. A police report was written, insurance companies will get involved and the damaged individual (not you) will be able to recover their losses and have their car repaired. If the company had wanted to press criminal charges they would have done so while the man was still inside the store.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 05-09-2014, 02:57 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmelPaneristi View Post
Last week I was at Best Buy when a heard a ruckus up front. An older man was yelling profanities and causing a disturbance. He then threatened the security officer who asked him to leave. On his way out he smashed his own head into the glass (was obviously mentally unstable). I was ready to leave but wanted to wait until he was gone to go to my car. On my way out I saw him get into a pickup truck and I deliberately took a quick mental description of his truck and plate. As I was getting into my car I heard the distinct crunching sound of him backing into the car behind him and speeding off. Myself and and a female witness got the license plate and security called the police. A few minutes later we were told that they got him and I stuck around with the other witness in case the police needed our information. This is where it gets weird.

A few minutes later to my utter amazement the man in the pick up truck pulls back into best buy with a police officer following behind him. He proceeds to hit the handicapped parking sign as he is pulling in. The officer in the car behind him was a female officer old enough to be my mother oblivious to what was going on. The man gets out out of his car and inspects the damage of the car he hit, pulling off a piece of the tail light and throwing it down in disgust. The officer is still in her car like nothing has happened. I was not carrying at the time (I know, long story). And the female witness started to get scared. At this point I directed us both into the store and waited in amazement as no other police ever came. I started fuming at the unnecessary danger we were put in. For all I know he could have turned his car and driven it into us. I got the officers badge number and called into the towns police department about how it was handled. Never heard back. Bam I wrong for being upset?

no sir! you are not wrong to be upset and even angry at the seemingly negligence in her doing her job.

when he left the site after hitting the other vehicle, that was a clear case of hit and run. he made threatening remarks towards people in the store. probably a few other violations as well.

did she even make an accident report of him hitting someone's vehicle? or get his license and insurance information? seems like that would be standard procedure in the very least.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:57 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5687 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
no sir! you are not wrong to be upset and even angry at the seemingly negligence in her doing her job.

when he left the site after hitting the other vehicle, that was a clear case of hit and run. he made threatening remarks towards people in the store. probably a few other violations as well.

did she even make an accident report of him hitting someone's vehicle? or get his license and insurance information? seems like that would be standard procedure in the very least.
Police don't do much in parking lots as they are not considered a roadway.

There are no laws against being stupid and unstable in public since the hippy movement of the 60's pretty much did away with courts being able to lockup crazy for public safety.

As above the police got a call about a person hitting a car in a lot with little description. The officer in the lot probably did not see what was going on.

If I was there I woulda been back on the phone lodging a comlaint about a madman threatening people and using a vehicle to do it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 05-09-2014, 04:53 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Police don't do much in parking lots as they are not considered a roadway.

There are no laws against being stupid and unstable in public since the hippy movement of the 60's pretty much did away with courts being able to lockup crazy for public safety.

As above the police got a call about a person hitting a car in a lot with little description. The officer in the lot probably did not see what was going on.

If I was there I woulda been back on the phone lodging a comlaint about a madman threatening people and using a vehicle to do it
but he left the scene of the accident, even though it was a parking lot and the police followed him back. here in Texas, that's hit and run if you leave and don't make at least some reasonable attempt to report either to LE or the owner of the vehicle you hit.

several years ago, a guy rammed into my truck at a WalMart parking lot. a lady got his LP number and i called the police adn they made a report and sent someone to examine the guys car. they found paint transfer from my truck on his car. he got charged with hit and run. they figured he left because he was on probation for DWI and possibly was drinking when he hit my truck, but they couldn't prove that one.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1977 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 944

From what you said this was handled in a negligent manner by the officer. She has a legal obligation/responsibility to take action to prevent this person from driving as he presented a clear and present danger to the public.
I can tell you I would have handled it differently and would expect any officer I had trained or supervised to handle it differently.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Sounds like another case of someone not doing their job, plain and simple.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Someone hit my car in a gas station lot in Luling, TX and we called police to file a report. Even though the guy stuck around and admitted it was his fault the Officer dispatched said he could not make a report because it happened on private property and the damage was minor. I was fuming since we waited about an hour for him to show up just to do nothing. Now as for the erratic behavior the guy was displaying I would have made sure when the police were called to include the threats he made in store and the behavior he was displaying as he was obviously EDP then I bet the response would have been different.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.