Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/what-would-you-do-83492/)

BeyondTheBox 02-05-2013 10:01 PM

What would you do?

Please don't bother with the "get a 380" comments, that kind of input isn't helpful or worthwhile.

I have a 25 I use for backup/summer carry and I'm debating what ammo to load it with.

Remington FMJ: 50gr/760fps/64ftlb
MagSafe +P: 22gr/1750fps/150ftlb

Is the loss in bullet weight worth the added velocity and energy? Is it also worth using a hot loaf and putting extra wear on the parts of any gun, let alone such a small one out of production with parts only getting harder to find?

Right now I'm off the mind that it is totally worth it; that with such a staggering difference and increase it is well worth losing a bit of bullet weight for the added oomph.

What are your thoughts?

Genec 02-05-2013 10:16 PM

IMO, higher velocity doesn't transfer as better in a CCW situation. I'd be concerned about over pentration. I've been carrying for over 10 yrs and carry a Kel-tec p11 and will not attempt an across the room shot. For me, I'll use it at bad breath range and stick it right to the body and empty it.

danf_fl 02-05-2013 10:21 PM

The question I have is would your .25 stand up to the magsafe +P?

There are quite a few .25's that are not rated for such a round and can do as much damage (or more) to you as to your attacker if fired.

jjfuller1 02-05-2013 10:28 PM

i say no, go with the 50gr. to many unknowns about the pistol. stay tried and true ammo.. after all if its a back up gun something has gone terribly wrong!

BeyondTheBox 02-05-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genec (Post 1125498)
IMO, higher velocity doesn't transfer as better in a CCW situation. I'd be concerned about over pentration. I've been carrying for over 10 yrs and carry a Kel-tec p11 and will not attempt an across the room shot. For me, I'll use it at bad breath range and stick it right to the body and empty it.

My thought was that extra velocity doesn't always equal over penetration. Seems it also has to do with bullet weight. Something lighter should slow down easier against existence no? And considering we're talking about only 22 grains here...

I don't know man, just saying, it seems to me that a 50 gain bullet would have trouble penetrating a t-shirt and creating more than a bruise at under 800ftlb.

BeyondTheBox 02-05-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 1125517)
i say no, go with the 50gr. to many unknowns about the pistol. stay tried and true ammo.. after all if its a back up gun something has gone terribly wrong!

It's also summer carry primary.

BeyondTheBox 02-05-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1125509)
The question I have is would your .25 stand up to the magsafe +P?

There are quite a few .25's that are not rated for such a round and can do as much damage (or more) to you as to your attacker if fired.

There's nothing in the book about ammo pressures at all. The MagSafe is tested from a Beretta bobcat. Say it was the smaller Jetfire. Or something similar...

jjfuller1 02-05-2013 10:42 PM

so load alternate rounds in the mag.

SigArmored 02-05-2013 10:51 PM

Which are you most accurate with?

BeyondTheBox 02-05-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 1125550)
so load alternate rounds in the mag.

I thought about that too. Hmm... I'm still thinking it all over. I've read of others whom carry this Magsafe round in the identical gun, and the numbers all sound nice except for bullet weight. Seems at only 22gr it'd be better to go with a 22lr. I may load alternating. Very good suggestion.