You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbryant32
Well, I may be wrong here, but : if you are a physician, how can you misspell the words "physician", "incident", and not know when to use the word "now", instead of "know"? just sayin'....as to your question, I feel that an ER doc has no business carrying at work....just my opinion, and it's only worth two cents...maybe less...
I live and work in Puerto Rico where the native language is spanish. I would like to se how do you do participating in a forum in a language other than your native one, just something for you to think about! As for the "no business carrying at work" comment, i will take that you do not know the enviroment in a busy E.D. I
am the kind of person that have never had any violent conflict in daily living. In my work.... that is another story. I have been threatened several times, physically assaulted more than one time, verbally abused at least twice a week and on a rather daily basis receive gun shoot victims rather commonly. At least twice (before i got my carry permit) the one who brings the victim would gi "you better save him if you know what 's good for you". Other times gun men have come to the hospital to "finish the job". If knowing all that
and recent inscidents were people were killed in a movie theater and at church, you still think that "an ER Doc has no business carrying at work" , well....... in my opinion a person who thinks like that has no business in a firearms forum or in the firearms world at all! But as i said i'll take that you do not know nothing about the E.D. enviroment, otherwise you are implying that i have less of a right to deffend my life than other law abading citizens. (I apologize in advance for any grammar errors!)

Old 08-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #42

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 45

If some co-workers know you hip carry, why not get an ankle holster?

Old 08-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #43
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7455 Times on 3974 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Wellll if im ever injured or sick and unable to defend myself i would hope to gods that the doctors and nurses had a firearm on them!!!

A hospital is like a school or church or movie theater, a prime target rich environment that mass murders see as holding a bunch of unarmed people for the picking.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 08-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #44

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm
wellll if im ever injured or sick and unable to defend myself i would hope to gods that the doctors and nurses had a firearm on them!!!

A hospital is like a school or church or movie theater, a prime target rich environment that mass murders see as holding a bunch of unarmed people for the picking.
thank you so much!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #45

Liked 3384 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbryant32 View Post
Well, I may be wrong here, but : if you are a physician, how can you misspell the words "physician", "incident", and not know when to use the word "now", instead of "know"? just sayin'....as to your question, I feel that an ER doc has no business carrying at work....just my opinion, and it's only worth two cents...maybe less...
Is an ER Doc less entitled to self protection than another citizen? Please explain.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #46

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would go to a pocket holster and a smaller flat pistol. I have a guy that does reall good pocket holsters and even ttight pants don't print. Thats what I would do.
More training and more practice.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #47

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAD
I would go to a pocket holster and a smaller flat pistol. I have a guy that does reall good pocket holsters and even ttight pants don't print. Thats what I would do.
More training and more practice.
I would second this recommendation. Smaller pistol in a pocket holster. Easier to concealed. And less likely to be drawn by an aggressive, paranoid, drug addict who notices it when you are turned away.

I have many MD friends that carry, but they are extra careful to conceal, for the comfort of their patients and staff. Although I appreciate that my doctor carries, I expect that his expertise requires a different response to violence than most.

I would also be cautious carrying in an ER environment. Anxiety is always high in the ER and frequently you are dealing with vagrants or drug addicts. Even the most honest patients and family are on the edge. These situations can easily escalate to a confrontation and a quick draw reaction is probably not the best choice. I support your right to protect yourself, but you could easily become part of the problem. Most ERs provide security or police patrols to handle crowd control and unruly guests. Just consider that your work environment requires a higher level of negotiation and recognition of the level of reaction appropriate.

Most emergency medicine doctors that I know are extremely anti-gun. I hope you keep a fair balance.