What would you do? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elglockeroloko30

Do you know his last name or in which area does
he works? The program director of the residency i trained is named Jorge Falcon. Also have a collegue named Jorge Lopez...
I belive Dr.Falcon did some work at a military hospital in Texas.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:42 AM   #22

That is a tough situation. Especially after being able to fly under the radar for so long.

I would however follow the general consensus of the group - put something else on that side - pager, phone on clip or one of those leathermans. Let the chatter die down and then resume normal carry if you weigh the options and feel confident in doing so.

I work at a credit union - so I know I can't have my firearm on me. I asked my manager and I am not able to have it on the property. She did say with a smile that she would never check my car though.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #23

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

I think carrying at work has to be the hardest place not to get "spotted" as you are around the same people 40+ hours a week. I suggest a smaller handgun and a different method of carry.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3049 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 356

What is the written policy/local law where you work? Not Bob's or Jimmy's opinion or personal take on the issue. If it isn't written down somewhere, it's very hard to enforce. I've always assumed that most hospitals are "Gun free zones," but what do I know? Once you know what's real, you can make your choice.
Oh, you might want to find something a bit smaller/easier to hide.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I did some research about the hospital policy about firearm policy and guess what, there is nothing writen on the subject, however i did spoke to the lawyer who works a my lgs doing
the paperwork for carrying permits and he said that anyhow, the people in the power positions do have the authority for deciding whether i can
carry or not at work and that i should comply with their desicion. Neverthless i have already made my desicion and ill explain why. Three days ago we had a gun shoot wound victim (i had already finish my shift and go home but its still a big influence in my decision) and two gunmen came to the ED to finish the job. Sounds like a movie i know! Luckily the patient had already been transfered to a trauma center but it was just that, luck! I can only imagine what would have happened if they come a little earlier. The problem is that our "security guards" are not real security people. They are more like facilitators with a security uniform. On top of that, they do a lousy job in that they let anyone who says is visiting a pt, to enter the e.d. I have a 1 year old princess who i have all of the intentions of seing grow up and there is no way im leting nobody take that away from me if i can avoid it. As i said earlier im already working on moving to a less dangerous enviroment but its going to take some time. Im carrying now in a fanny pack which i have use always at work anyways.(Only i changed its content).

Old 08-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

smaller gun. bigger pockets. keep phone outside holstered firearm in pocket.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-02-2012, 12:14 AM   #27

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

get one of those compact cattle prods xD a violent patient will turn into a convulsing mess after being hit with one of those. And best part? IT ISN'T A GUN!!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 02:20 AM   #28

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have a kel tec p3at for places like that

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 08-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
smaller gun. bigger pockets. keep phone outside holstered firearm in pocket.
100% agree, phone in a holder to fake them out and then carry a smaller pistol in your pocket or maybe a ankle holster. There is always a way to carry. Just get creative. Especially in your line of work.

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #30
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

elglocker, I have worked closely with doctors and used to own a billing center for anesthesiologists. While it's true that the hospital makes the rules, doctors often get a free pass or two as they are so hard to place - you and I both know this! It's not the same as an office job. The problem is you've now been given two free passes - you're running out of rope!

Now, since you've decided to carry, leaving the gun at home isn't an option, so you need to conceal very, very well. Having your actual phone near your gun is NOT a viable option, as you would have the possibility of showing your gun every time you grabbed for your phone. However, an old phone or pager that you can hang next to the gun gives you something to pull for show-and-tell if it's felt. And since you work in a hospital, you can also tell them it's a pain pump, insulin pump or spinal cord stimulator. If they ask to see it, just tell them you're a little embarrassed about it or in a hurry.

Finally, if your shirt accidentally "slipped up" over your gun, you are wearing clothing that is too short. Spring for the TALL sizes of scrubs, as they generally add 4" of material and don't allow that to happen even when doing somersaults. If the hospital won't supply them, buy your own - it's a write-off and worth it for your personal safety! For everyone else, many of the JC Penny's stores have a Big & Tall dept. in the store and carry Medium tall and Large tall polo shirts that do the same thing, as well as the XLT and XXLT for the larger guys.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)