Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default What would you do?

I would like to share what happened to me today at work and see what you guys (and gals) think and how would you proceed. I received my carrying permit last November and have carried a weapon on me preety much every time I have cloth on. I work as an emergency phycisian in a very busy E.D. and if I had to pick just one place in which i can carry legally, it woud be at work. Today I had a glock 23 in a crossbreed-like holster in my left hip(IWB), with blue jeans and a X-large scrub shirt. First, one of the clerks in a friendly gesture, put her arm around my waist and felt the gun. When she asked what was that, I told her that it was my cellphone but I dont think she fell for that. As if one incident were not enough, a few hours later,somehow the shirt lifted, staying between the gun and my inner shirt, leaving the weapon partially exposed. A nurse saw it and of course she went:"is that a gun"? Im sure that at least 3 or 4 other nurses heard her. I was like Noooo, why would i carry a gun at work? I dont think they fell for that either. The thing is that months ago I made the rookie mystake of telling one of the security guards, that i carry after an incident with the angry son of an angry patient which was very close to becoming a violent inscident. Long story short, next day my boss meet with me and warned me that I cannot carry inside the hospital. Of course more than that is needed for me to quit to my right to defend myself and I said to myself I`ll just make sure nobody konws Im carring. Know Im really worried about what will happen (if something is going to happen). What would you do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 701 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

#1. Leave it at home from now on.
#2. Deny, deny, deny.
#3. Find something else to put in it's place, like a cell phone, pager, ect, ect. just in case it is brought up again. Then you can show them how they were mistaken, it was just your phone.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Last edited by sputnik1988; 07-28-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #3

Liked 1675 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1127

I do not carry at work. I have a high paying job. It would be difficult for me to replace that income. I make about 3 times the average income for my geographic area. If your boss tells you that you cant carry. Then he can fire you for carrying. I would imagine that could damage your career long term. It is something else to dedicate 20 years to a career just to throw it away. I would be very careful how I proceed from here. I keep a gun locked in my vehicle.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 07-28-2012 at 10:27 PM.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 07-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If i decide not to carry at work, the only option is my safe at home. Leaving in the car is not an option were i live. In PR if you got a firearm stolen from your vehicle, chances are they will revoke your license.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #5

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

He who signs the pay check makes the rules. I hate to tell anyone this but I suggest you leave the gun at home.

Only option I can think of just brainstorming; do you have a good rapport with your boss? Do you have lockers at the hospital? Maybe you could sit down with him and tell him you carry out of fear for your safety and ask if it is OK to bring your gun to work but leave it locked in a locker. At least then you have it on your way to and from work and in and out of the building.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Buy a knife, it's better than nothing. It's not worth risking your career.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR
Phelenwolf Likes This 
Old 07-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
#2. Deny, deny, deny.
#3. Find something else to put in it's place, like a cell phone, pager, ect, ect. just in case it is brought up again. Then you can show them how they were mistaken, it was just your phone.
I completely agree with items 2 and 3.

The idea of leaving a weapon home, no matter what, is the choice of the individual.

Rick has a very, VERY good point. You need to place a value on your job versus your need to carry.

For the last dozen years every company I have worked for has had a very clear, written policy in the company handbook about weapons in the workplace and how being found with a weapon in a work vehicle or on their person while ON company property, would result in immediate expulsion.

My official stance is that I never once carried a weapon while under the employment of my previous compan(y/ies). :roll eyes:

You need to make this decision yourself I am afraid. Good luck.

JD

Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #8

Liked 666 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
#1. Leave it at home from now on.
#2. Deny, deny, deny.
^^^^^^
What he said. Word for word.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 07-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeysKelly View Post
He who signs the pay check makes the rules. I hate to tell anyone this but I suggest you leave the gun at home.

Only option I can think of just brainstorming; do you have a good rapport with your boss? Do you have lockers at the hospital? Maybe you could sit down with him and tell him you carry out of fear for your safety and ask if it is OK to bring your gun to work but leave it locked in a locker. At least then you have it on your way to and from work and in and out of the building.
The good news is that the guy who warned me was fired a month ago and my new boss was a friend of mine who used to work hand to hand with me before she got promoted to E.D. Director. She has always know that I carry all the time bacause her husband is one of my "range partners". Bad news is that I think that the security guard went way above my direct supervisor the first time. The thing is that Im not so wooried about loosing my job more than I am about too many people knowing that I carry a weapon. It makes me feel very uncomfortable and akward (like when somebody knows something about you that is somehow embarassing sort of feeling).

Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by elglockeroloko30 View Post
The good news is that the guy who warned me was fired a month ago and my new boss was a friend of mine who used to work hand to hand with me before she got promoted to E.D. Director. She has always know that I carry all the time bacause her husband is one of my "range partners". Bad news is that I think that the security guard went way above my direct supervisor the first time. The thing is that Im not so wooried about loosing my job more than I am about too many people knowing that I carry a weapon. It makes me feel very uncomfortable and akward (like when somebody knows something about you that is somehow embarassing sort of feeling).
If you aren't worried about your employment status, far be it from me to tell you how to avoid job loss. People are going to think what they think, I couldn't care less about what people think of me because I carry. Don't let that part bother you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR