Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 12:26 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
you may actually escalate situations just because you are packing, even if you don't plan to before hand.
I think that's an individual thing...there's no way AT ALL I'd escalate because I carry. My plan "A" is always flight first...and situational awareness is HIGH on my 24/7 "to do" list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Your employer wants unarmed security because they have made certain calculations concerning liability.
If you're talking about insurance, I agree.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5249 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 331

i got fired from pizza hut for pulling my DE 50 on a robber in the parking lot. didnt shoot him he turned and ran so not worth taking a life. he came back later complained that i wouldnt let him rob me. the manager took his info for the complaint form i got fired he got arrested for armed robbery. he had a knife.

i really liked pizza delivery but my life wasnt worth the job. its a personal choice up to you whether you carry or not.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-01-2010, 04:51 AM   #13
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6743 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i got fired from pizza hut for pulling my DE 50 on a robber in the parking lot. didnt shoot him he turned and ran so not worth taking a life. he came back later complained that i wouldnt let him rob me. the manager took his info for the complaint form i got fired he got arrested for armed robbery. he had a knife.

i really liked pizza delivery but my life wasnt worth the job. its a personal choice up to you whether you carry or not.
My son put himself through college delivering pizza's for the same pizza place. It's pretty good money for the work. He was never confronted like you were, though.......thank God!!

Old 12-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

JonM, that is some kind of messed up!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPos9 View Post
I have a question. Would you carry at work even if you are not supposed to. What if you had to use it? Would it better to have it anyway than to need it and not have it? What is you thoughts? I have a security job at a college.
Thanks
Mike
I don't know what the laws are in Texas. In Florida, a college campus is off limits to firearms regardless of an employer's policy. Also, in Florida, there is a difference between armed and unarmed security guards. There's a different license requirement for armed security, and there are restrictions on what types of guns they can carry, and I believe they have to be in the open. Again, this is Florida, but if Texas has something similar, you could be breaking a number of laws, never mind your employer's policy.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 12-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #16

I was in a similar situation with my security job. We had both armed and unarmed positions and I worked both. The unarmed position stated in the post orders that firearms were not permitted, well being that I had a state license as an armed guard and a CWP I went to my supervisor and explained that I would like to carry concealed while at the unarmed position, , long story short, I was given permission to carry and kept my job.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #17

No way don't do it. You could could open a can of worms with teeth! depending on what type of collage (private, community ect.) lets say you work at a community collage and you decide to carry and get caught they can fire you at the least if the cops are called then you are going to jail for carrying on school grounds and then that will follow you around for ever just my .02

Givem hell boys

Old 12-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #18

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I seem to remember a thread like this awhile back, but anyways, if you chose to carry at work when your not supposed to you could be asking for trouble.

Not only can you lose your job you may face criminal charges as well, not to mention the possibility of not finding a job anytime soon, if your next employer catches wind of the reason you were discharged.

If you do carry to work leave it in your car. Avoid the hassel.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #19

Most employers forbid employees from having weapons do to liability issues. They often fear that if you defend yourself they, as your employer, can be sued if you hurt someone (accidentally or otherwise). In short, they make the same calculation the Ford bean counters did with the Pinto:

A. Their liability if you are shot by a criminal = $0.00

B. Their liability if you accidentally shoot a coworker or criminal's family sues = Bankruptcy

Logical conclusion? Forbid workers from carrying and shed crocodile tears when thug kills them. Its cheaper. If you want the right to carry at work then you must reform the tort laws. It is the fear of liability that scares employers into forbidding carry at the job site.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #20

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Hey, ficuciaryfamily, did you mean to type "fiduciary"? Have you gone over to the Introductions forum and told us a little about yourself?

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face