What would you do?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default What would you do?

I have a question. Would you carry at work even if you are not supposed to. What if you had to use it? Would it better to have it anyway than to need it and not have it? What is you thoughts? I have a security job at a college.
Thanks
Mike

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #2

Well if they were packing at the college in virginia,maybe alot would be alive

Old 11-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default What would you do?

Your title should have been...Your job or your life.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #4

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Your job is your job. If you don't like policy then find another job that agrees with you more. I don't see any reason someone can't have a weapon in their vehicle or even on their person concealed as long as it does not interfere with work but I'm not your boss and I don't pay you. We're not on our time we're on our employers and that means following their rules weather we like it or not. The other options are to look for employment elsewhere.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #5

Default Employer has Rights

your thought is problematic; loosing your rights to conceal carry, going to jail, spending $$$$$$$$ untold lose in wage earnings. All to protect your life.

Were you working around me; in a ''no firearm zone''; ? were I to learn; what becomes my responsibility.

A real can of worms.

Lots of lives, wage earning ability, can be violated, on both sides of the coin

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 11-29-2010, 11:42 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1264 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 75

The employer sets wages, hours and working conditions. You have accepted them if you take a job. I work for a large corporation that says I cannot carry at work. I leave my handgun in the car. In spite of Florida's stance on allowing guns in your car at your place of employment, I keep quiet about it. I may be able to prevent a firing from sticking, but they could certainly make my life more miserable then I could theirs.

Personally I don't think it would ever be a problem with the permitted people carrying in our office. In fact it might stop those who would bring a pistol and start a problem from being successful. However I work for a German company, and they don't want guns in the office.

If I thought it was a huge problem I would leave this job for another. Of course there are not a lot of "others" out there.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have done so. And was fired for it.

In the beginning, it was not stated in the employee handbook.
A coworker took the NRA basic pistol safety class with me and knew from class conversation that I intended to carry...as did she.

Later on, she did not end up carrying, but she also would not keep her mouth shut about the fact that I did.
Corporate re-wrote the handbook.

Making trips to the bank with large amounts of cash and closing up at night to walk across a dark parking lot alone...I chose to still carry whether the policy changed or not.

I needed that job, but not at the expense of my own well-being.

I have a better job now anyway...and they encourage open carry.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 8 Posts

Default Carry on the job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgirl View Post
I have done so. And was fired for it.

In the beginning, it was not stated in the employee handbook.
A coworker took the NRA basic pistol safety class with me and knew from class conversation that I intended to carry...as did she.

Later on, she did not end up carrying, but she also would not keep her mouth shut about the fact that I did.
Corporate re-wrote the handbook.

Making trips to the bank with large amounts of cash and closing up at night to walk across a dark parking lot alone...I chose to still carry whether the policy changed or not.

I needed that job, but not at the expense of my own well-being.

I have a better job now anyway...and they encourage open carry.
Thanks for the replies, I need this job so I think I will abide by the rules. But at least keep in my truck.
Mike

Old 11-30-2010, 10:53 PM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm in a line of work that absolutely forbids carrying of guns as a condition of my employment. I won't cross that line, period. I love what I do and there is NO employer that would allow me to carry at work.

In security, your situation is a bit different. If you are legally carrying (but breaking your rules of employment) you may actually behave slightly differently in a tense situation because you know you have that fall-back position. Meaning, you may actually escalate situations just because you are packing, even if you don't plan to before hand.

Your employer wants unarmed security because they have made certain calculations concerning liability. If you are carrying, and then use the gun during your work time, not only are you liable, but your employer takes on the liability.

I agree with others: if you don't like the conditions of your employment, change your employment.

Carry TO work. Lock it in your car. Work. Carry FROM work.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2987 Times on 1721 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

I work on a military station. No firearms are allowed on the Federal Reservation except by Security. After observing their "exercises" and seeing how they handle their weapons, I am a little worried about how much "security" they provide.

No, I will not carry to work or at work, but I am employed.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)