Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What would you do?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,078
Liked 1765 Times on 984 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Default

I would think it is safe to say that 99% of cops have never been standing in a convenience store when someone decided to rob it. Otherwise the robber would have waited for them to leave. Odds are probably more likely that it would happen to one of us. Especially because most of us carry concealed.

As far as experience...I was with my son when he was about 10 years old. An obvious drug addict was screaming at us in a dark parking lot. He started chasing us. We ran behind a building and I prepared to draw. My adrenalin was pumping. But my hands were not shaking. Had he continued chase he would have taken two to the chest. There is no doubt. There are few more stressful situations than being chased in the dark with your child. About the only thing that didn't happen was me shooting the guy.

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is offline  
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,078
Liked 1765 Times on 984 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Default

Some cops handle stress well. Then there are the ones like this guy.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/police-officer-goes-crazy-100417/

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #33
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 154
Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
Some cops handle stress well. Then there are the ones like this guy. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/police-officer-goes-crazy-100417/
Yeah police work is the only job that has the occasional bad apple....sarcasm....

Let's get back on topic
__________________
j4454 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,944
Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default

....please tell me this guy is joking.

Mr. IDPA, please start a separate thread and post a link here. We would all love to hear of all of the times you have had to draw your weapon in the real world and point it at a person and not paper.

Has it ever happened? Ever?

And since your IDPA paper target training has given you a monopoly on "stressful situations" in your thread also tell us

Were you ever in a foot pursuit? Vehicle pursuit? Knock down drag out with a crack monkey who is so hopped out he can't feel anything you're doing to him? How about a crowd of several hundred people about to riot with multiple fights breaking out at the same time? How about pulling a dead baby out of a vehicle or opening an old freezer under a bridge and seeing a woman's decaying head fall out?

__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-17-2013 at 09:16 AM.
DeltaF is offline  
mikemc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chloeshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,408
Liked 1933 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
....please tell me this guy is joking. Mr. IDPA, please start a separate thread and post a link here. We would all love to hear of all of the times you have had to draw your weapon in the real world and point it at a person and not paper. Has it ever happened? Ever? And since your IDPA paper target training has given you a monopoly on "stressful situations" in your thread also tell us Were you ever in a foot pursuit? Vehicle pursuit? Knock down drag out with a crack monkey who is so hopped out he can't feel anything you're doing to him? How about a crowd of several hundred people about to riot with multiple fights breaking out at the same time? How about pulling a dead baby out of a vehicle or opening an old freezer under a bridge and seeing a woman's decaying head fall out?
Amen Delta. Lots of big talk here from guys that think pistol training = situational training. That's the same as saying that if you are a good 100 yard rifle shooter that it means you are a good deer hunter. Shooting is a small part of it, hunting is about a hell of a lot more.

Lots of times, big talkers are the same guys that mess their drawers when the chips are down. Cocky + paper tiger training is not altogether worth jack sh!t.

Back to the OP: I'd try to save my own backside and make sure I could have dinner with my family that night. They need me and count on me. If I try to be a hero I could actually force the bad guy's hand and get the cashier killed. That's why negotiation training and buying time skills are key, not the ability to hit paper targets. No offense to anyone but generalizing LEOs as a few here did is plain ignorant as hell
__________________
leave the cannoli - take the gun
chloeshooter is offline  
mikemc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,944
Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter
Amen Delta. Lots of big talk here from guys that think pistol training = situational training. That's the same as saying that if you are a good 100 yard rifle shooter that it means you are a good deer hunter. Shooting is a small part of it, hunting is about a hell of a lot more. Lots of times, big talkers are the same guys that mess their drawers when the chips are down. Cocky + paper tiger training is not altogether worth jack sh!t. Back to the OP: I'd try to save my own backside and make sure I could have dinner with my family that night. They need me and count on me. If I try to be a hero I could actually force the bad guy's hand and get the cashier killed. That's why negotiation training and buying time skills are key, not the ability to hit paper targets. No offense to anyone but generalizing LEOs as a few here did is plain ignorant as hell

Exactly! I'm no expert IDPA paper poker, but I can ring an 8 inch plate with my bone stock Glock 22 and crappy range ammo out to 87 yards and group inside the kill ring of a Denton qualification silhouette at 50 yards while on a shot clock. No problem.

But when I get thrown in the shoot house with simunitions and role players as BGs, bystanders and fellow LEOs and they're all dressed the same and there's no course of fire its a different story.

And then, actually drawing down on someone on the street..... Let's just say there is no comparison.

I say that to say this, almost everybody so far wants to play hero in this situation and draw down and holler and maybe even start shooting. And that's very likely to end up with a dead cashier. Either from you or the bad guy. Or a hostage situation.

There are ways to deal with this threat that are way safer to everyone involved than playing Miami Vice. Shoot the guy while he's got the gun pointed at her and his finger on the trigger and his startle reflex is going to put a bullet in her. She will be dead because you tried to play the hero. And that's if you are cool enough in the head to not jerk the trigger or dump your magazine everywhere and kill her yourself. You don't know what you'll do until you've BEEN THERE.

This is a lay low, stay back, and only take action if you see that the guy is actually intent on hurting someone situation. The only exception to this would be you're somebody like Trip or Dr Football whose been a trigger puller before and understands things like distractionary windows and when to take that kindof a shot without the guy slicing or squeezing off a round into the cashier he's holding at gun/knifepoint.
__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 11-17-2013 at 11:53 AM.
DeltaF is offline  
mikemc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chloeshooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Great North Woods
Posts: 2,408
Liked 1933 Times on 1005 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Default

If only real life was like the movies.......

http://youtu.be/Qz-R857qXrM

__________________
leave the cannoli - take the gun

Last edited by chloeshooter; 11-17-2013 at 01:28 PM.
chloeshooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes




Newest Threads