What would you do? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
Take a concealed handgun permit class in your area. Ask your instructor this question.
^^^^^^^^^^Thank you.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My greatest temptation, in any event, would be to bean that

scum of the earth crackhead in the noggin from behind, with

a makeshift club.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
FAA licensed bugsmasher
Liked 2478 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Here in Iowa, it would be legal to draw in that situation.

I am not sure I would without much more awareness of the situation. What is the line of fire? What is behind the perp? Is the perp calm, or is he acting like he is going to attack? What kind of cover do I have? Do I have the advantage? yadda yadda yadda

If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
Old 11-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Liked 1139 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Taking this a step further, one can assume this is not happening in a an up scale location at 2pm in the afternoon.

Likely this is happening in a sketchy area of town at 2am.

What are you doing, allowing yourself to be exposed to a 2am confrontation in a bad area of town?

I am 57 years old, and I have rarely if ever gone into a location where the likelihood of a encounter as you describe would be taking place.

Good neighborhoods get robbed in broad daylight, with lots of people around, but it is rare.

Think to keep yourself out of superman situations. You (and I ) are not superman.
Missouribound Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Liked 577 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 722

These "what if" questions are pretty pointless as there are so many important variables that are not mentioned.

You can provide the information on who does/does not have a gun, etc but without many more specific details such as location, distance/size of store, dress of perp, your/theirs position, view of streets, lighting, what you see/hear, places to provide cover, etc, etc. it is situations that cannot be compared even to one another posting on this same thread. We all have different ideas of imaginary conditions to play out this event.
NRA Member - Over 5,000,000 strong!
Criminals don't discriminate. They will attack anywhere!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

way too many things to give a quick and easy answer to this type of question.

would bringing my gun into play bring the situation to a peaceful resolve or cause more and dangerous actions to play out?

am i in a position that offers cover or in the wide open?

where are the other customers and would they be in more danger if there was shooting going on?

is the robber calm or nervous because he's hyped up on drugs?

am i going to be of more help trying to stop the robbery or being a good witness for the police when they show up?

now my gut instincts are that i would have to step in if i knew without any doubts that by not doing so there could be the loss of life or serious injuries from someone being shot by this scumbag.

but in these "what if" scenarios, there are too many factors that can change the dynamics of that situation. they can end great or badly whether you don't do anything, or if you decide to involve yourself.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Liked 508 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
but in these "what if" scenarios, there are too many factors that can change the dynamics of that situation. they can end great or badly whether you don't do anything, or if you decide to involve yourself.
Precisely. Like I said, Mr. Murphy's always in the room. I get the impression from this thread and many others like it, too many of us confuse our right to carry with police powers. Here in Michigan, when the authorities ask why you want to carry concealed, the only right answer is personal protection. In the two scenarios outlined at the outset of this thread, neither fit the template of personal protection. Much as I might not like it, if Mr. BG just takes the money and runs, I'm staying out. I'll give police the best description I can, but that's it.
Never argue with an idiot in public. People passing by won't know which one of you is the idiot.

Last edited by Donn; 11-16-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

LoL you guys are makin' this wayyy more complicated than it needs to be.

The only time you intervene in that situation is if the guy decides to try to hurt you or the cashier. Otherwise, let him get the $25 out of her cash register. It's not worth either of your lives.

You need to try to stay out of sight and find a good angle that minimizes the cashiers chances of catching a bullet meant for him just in case he does do something crazy.

In a situation like that, even the police usually don't do anything until after the guy has left the store. And then they try to get in behind him to keep him from running back in. They don't want to deal with a hostage situation. And neither do you.
"...it is ...ALIVE!!!"
People Like This 
Old 11-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
Liked 2240 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 1421

Situation 1...Hey stupid! Put down that knife before I pull this trigger.

Situation 2...If I had my J-frame...Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!
Situation 2...if 1911...Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

See what I did with situation 2? See how very different my response would be depending on what I was packing? You have to have options.

Seriously though...once a gun has already been brought into a crime, I am not going to wait until someone starts dropping people before I react. If you do wait to see what will happen and 3 people die because you waited, that would be tough to live with.

In Colorado defense of another during the commission of a felony is justifiable for use of deadly force. This was covered extensively during my concealed carry class. I have been through it twice. The second time my wife was taking it. So I just sat through it for a refresher.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 11-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #19
Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I think the one big mistake many conceal carry folks make is when they believe their firearm is for anything other than SELF defense. It's not. Unless you are a trained and authorized responder - you have no business getting involved unless shots have been fired. Even then, you can hurt as much as help

CC is not a hero license
Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
Liked 9852 Times on 5314 Posts
Likes Given: 20673

Here you go.
No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄
People Like This 

Newest Threads