Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What would you do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default What would you do?

So you're out shopping or just picking up a coffee at a local mini mart and man attempts to rob the store.

1. You're carrying, you're alone (there are others in the store but you do not have any loved ones with you) the robber does not show a gun but has a knife pointed at the cashier. What would you do?

2. Assume all circumstances are the same as above but the robber has a gun pointed at the cashier instead. What would you do?

According to different state laws can you legally do anything?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #2

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Bounce View Post

That's the big first question.

Is anyone in real danger if the cashier complies?

Would producing your gun make things worse for everybody?

Is discussing another scenario with infinite unknowns and possibilities really going to get us anywhere?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #3

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I would have two different responses for these scenarios, and they would be too lengthy and wordy to cover other variables.

But, with the knife, I would likely draw and hope to end the situation with verbal commands.

With the gun scenario, I'll likely be shooting.

Just based on how it's already described.

Oh, and screw the law. In my state, those actions would theoretically be legal, but that would not be my concern in the least.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #4

Liked 212 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Knife? Probably ask him how he felt about comeing to a gun fight with a knife with hand at my side. Then ask him to lay on the floor. But might just watch at the ready as he could just get a few dollars an leave. No one dies

Old 11-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6100 Times on 3346 Posts
Likes Given: 11721

Produce the weapon and tell him to leave. He'll run out. Everyone survives.
I am not a cop.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 883 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Take a concealed handgun permit class in your area. Ask your instructor this question.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

As a cop I would draw down on the armed robber while giving loud verbal commands to drop his knife and surrender. Or as a civilian I would call the police and be a good witness. But you should really ask a legal expert a question like that. I don't want anyone to get themselves in a jam; then drag me into by saying 'ohhhhhh, but but but JeeperSC told me it would be ok to just shoot the bad guy'.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Scenario #1: I would attempt to engage the perpetrator in a conversation on quantum mechanics – specifically the similarities and/or differences between Schrodinger’s cat thought experiment and the old “if a tree fell in the woods and no one was there to hear it would it indeed make a sound”, dilemma. During the course of this, possibly, lengthy discussion the cashier would have enough time to phone 911 and…problem solved. If by chance our purported bad guy was less than informed as to the simple nuances of physics he might possibly stare, dumbstruck, at me while drawing a blank and making feeble, weak, unintelligible sounds. This too would afford the opportunity to dial 911 and the issue would be rectified without further incident.

Scenario #2: The introduction of a firearm into this situation changes the stakes and the approach one might take. In this case I would probably start to cry, very loudly, and also wet myself. The bad guy would then turn to me in disbelief and while pondering how he might handle this awkward occurrence I could then probably get the drop on him…voila…again, problem solved.

Just sayin.

Kahr CM9
Kahr CW380
Ruger SR22

Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Yes and no. Your mileage may vary.

Personally, I'm wondering why you bothered to differentiate between a knife and a gun assuming the bad guy was close enough to the clerk to be a threat with the knife.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #10

Liked 351 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Chances are Mr. Bad Guy won't act with people in line at the register. He'll likely loiter until everyone leaves, then do his thing. But, as this is a "what if" question, consider this.
#1) Mr. BG has a knife. You draw your piece, order him to drop it, hit the floor. He grabs a kid buying some red Twizzlers, holds the knife to the kid's throat and tells you to drop it. Now what?
#2) The gun. Despite having the drop on him, Mr. BG decides he likes his chances, opens up on you. You return fire. Not only is everyone in the store now a potential/unintentional target, so is everyone down range who happen to be walking or driving by. Meanwhile, the police roll up and see two guys exchanging fire. They don't know who's the good guy or bad guy. Guess what happens next.
Murphy's Laws of War #16, "No OPLAN survives initial contact." Just remember, before you insert yourself into a scenario like this. Mr. Murphy's in the room too.

Last edited by Donn; 11-13-2013 at 06:49 PM.