Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What weapon do u conceal!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #581
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate882004

Everything I've seen points to Glock 19 for best and most reliable concealed carry weapon.
There is no such creature as the "best" concealed carry weapon...well, other than a lightweight commander in .45acp

Back to being serious - there is no such thing as an across-the-board "best" concealed handgun (even though many gun manufacturers, fan boys and gun mag writers will try to tell you otherwise). There are far too many factors such as regional weather conditions (you can easily conceal a rocket launcher in winter), body type, occupational dress requirements, all sorts of individual-specific hand-fit issues (hence, the "try before you buy" rule), etc. -- all of which come into play. As such, it is impossible to say there is a "best" gun for everyone.

For example, I 6'4" and right around 250lbs - I can conceal pistols the size of a Glock 21 in spring, fall and winter without any problem - in part because my occupation normally has me in a suit and tie. Additionally, the thickness of the Glock 21 doesn't bother me because I have relatively large hands. In contrast, a Glock 21 sized pistol is not going to work for a guy that is 5'7" 165lbs that goes to work in a polo and khakis...well, unless he works in a gun store.

While I can carry really large pistols, I usually do not carry anything the size/thickness of a Glock 21. A single stack .45 is a much more realistic option for me when it comes to day-to-day carry. In fact, I find it considerably easier to carry a single stack .45, 1-2 spare mags, a single stack 9mm backup and a really small .380 (backup-backup) than most double-stack pistols along with one spare double stack mag. I am sure plenty of people believe the opposite is true and it likely is for their particular situation.

The fact that there is no best gun for all conditions is actually a good thing -- it's a perfect excuse to keep buying more guns.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #582

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I carry a Walther PPK on my belt and a LCP on an ankle holster.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #583

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon

There is no such creature as the "best" concealed carry weapon...well, other than a lightweight commander in .45acp

Back to being serious - there is no such thing as an across-the-board "best" concealed handgun (even though many gun manufacturers, fan boys and gun mag writers will try to tell you otherwise). There are far too many factors such as regional weather conditions (you can easily conceal a rocket launcher in winter), body type, occupational dress requirements, all sorts of individual-specific hand-fit issues (hence, the "try before you buy" rule), etc. -- all of which come into play. As such, it is impossible to say there is a "best" gun for everyone.

For example, I 6'4" and right around 250lbs - I can conceal pistols the size of a Glock 21 in spring, fall and winter without any problem - in part because my occupation normally has me in a suit and tie. Additionally, the thickness of the Glock 21 doesn't bother me because I have relatively large hands. In contrast, a Glock 21 sized pistol is not going to work for a guy that is 5'7" 165lbs that goes to work in a polo and khakis...well, unless he works in a gun store.

While I can carry really large pistols, I usually do not carry anything the size/thickness of a Glock 21. A single stack .45 is a much more realistic option for me when it comes to day-to-day carry. In fact, I find it considerably easier to carry a single stack .45, 1-2 spare mags, a single stack 9mm backup and a really small .380 (backup-backup) than most double-stack pistols along with one spare double stack mag. I am sure plenty of people believe the opposite is true and it likely is for their particular situation.

The fact that there is no best gun for all conditions is actually a good thing -- it's a perfect excuse to keep buying more guns.
Very good advice. I am a khaki and dress shirt person so I do need something smaller and probably an ankle gun. The problem I'm having is the gun shops are running thin so I can't get my hands on the guns I want. But I'll keep looking and trying to educate myself on the pros and cons of as many handguns as I can.

Nate from WV, live in NC

Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #584

A Ruger LC9 is a decent option if you have to have a high degree of concealability. The trigger is not great by any means and Ruger definitely could have left off the stupid magazine safety but both problems can be fixed with little effort. If you need something really small, take a look at the Ruger LCP -- while it is a .380, it is an amazingly small .380. Unless I am sent to Hell and I have nothing more than a Speedo in my wardrobe, I can carry a LCP and no one will ever know it -- if nothing else, it is a great backup after you get used to it. It is one of those pistols that is so small you may run into problems at first for that very reason if you have larger hands. Tiny guns and big hands can take some time before they decide to like each other (good excuse to go to the range more often).

Other than those, there are several great single stacks that are options - the new .45 XDS is one of them. I normally hate the feel of chopped pistols but that one actually feels great in a firing grip and it packs a good amount of firepower into a very compact package. YMMV, so, as always, try before you buy.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #585

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Currently a Ruger P95 AIWB in a holster I made.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #586

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry a Ruger LC9 in a Blackhawk IWB holster

Ruger: LC9
Taurus: 709 Slim
Stoeger: Cougar - 9mm
Smith & Wesson: M&P .22

Old 01-28-2013, 12:25 AM   #587

Today, it was a Beretta PX4 in an IWB holster I made for it.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #588

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

The "Best" CCW gun is one that YOU feel the most comfort with. Could be ANY manufacturer, model, or caliber.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #589

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I normally carry my Ruger LCP, but lately I've been carrying my GSG 922...

Name:  image-473589924.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  32.4 KB

Old 02-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #590

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate882004

Everything I've seen points to Glock 19 for best and most reliable concealed carry weapon.
These block guys kill me.......