Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What weapon do u conceal!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 PM   #331
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnic View Post
I gotta admit--I'm a bit jealous of all you who have choices on "which one to carry today?!?"
I'm (happily) stuck with my S&W SW40VE Armed Forces in a (new to me) Bianchi 82 CarryLok. (Was carrying it in a Michael Kole leather OWB, but I decided I wanted Level 2 retention..)

Attachment 63601
Do not be jealous, we have all been in your boat before. Just starting out, have just enough to get your first pistol. Then you see someone else's and you want what he has, and so forth and so forth. Until you get to a point that your wife tells you "if you buy one now gun I am leaving!" Looking calmly in her eyes you tell her "Bye I am going to miss you, oh yeah by the way before you go, I bought you that pistol YOU wanted." It is classic to watch her walk away and slam the door.

I started out with a Taurus Model 92 in 9mm over 20yrs ago, the got a Colt 1991A1 and went from there. In time someone will say the samething about what you have. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
JW, how do you like your Bianchi? I use one to carry my SR9c and once it was broke in I found it to be very comfortable and presents the gun at a nice angle. I have an Uncle Mikes plastic for my Glock 17 and it is not nearly as comfortable, in fact there isn't a moment I don't know it's there so that one mostly just goes to the woods with me.
Really like it so far.. very comfortable. The ONLY thing I don't love about it is that the leather doesn't come all the way up between me and the butt. (If that makes sense!) I wear it at about 4 o'clock -- it tucks the butt in nicely and I love the retention on it.
It is still pretty tight around my .40, but I've only had it a few days. It's already much better than it was the day I got it. Very smooth to draw after the initial release. Ya definitely need to pick up a new Bianchi for your G17! (My only thought would be check prices... I picked mine up on Ebay for $40, while my local gun store wanted to sell one to me for $75!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #333

Likes Given: 1

I've bought holsters off of Ebay before with good results but a while back I picked one up for my Glock 22. It was a pullback to release type [LEO]. I have never had a holster pull so hard!! If my belt is not REAL tight, It will twist my belt all the way around and still not release! I don't carry my Glock 22 so it's not a big deal. I think if I was to buy a holster for CCW, I would get it from someone I could return it to if it didn't pull like I wanted. Just my 2cts.....

Old 10-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by captron
I've bought holsters off of Ebay before with good results but a while back I picked one up for my Glock 22. It was a pullback to release type [LEO]. I have never had a holster pull so hard!! If my belt is not REAL tight, It will twist my belt all the way around and still not release! I don't carry my Glock 22 so it's not a big deal. I think if I was to buy a holster for CCW, I would get it from someone I could return it to if it didn't pull like I wanted. Just my 2cts.....
I agree. I contacted the seller and made sure I'd be able to return it for any reason if I chose to do so (only reasons in my mind were 1, it didn't fit, or 2, it didn't work as advertised).

Old 10-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #335

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I agree. I contacted the seller and made sure I'd be able to return it for any reason if I chose to do so (only reasons in my mind were 1, it didn't fit, or 2, it didn't work as advertised).
Ebay is a great way to save money on holsters! {wish they sold guns}...I've bought around 10 or 12 in the past and saved a bunch of $!! I guess I never thought about contacting the seller about a return.... Thanks jwnic for the thought....
Thinking about a sub compact to carry and will use Ebay for the holster.

Last edited by captron; 10-13-2012 at 01:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by captron

Ebay is a great way to save money on holsters! {wish they sold guns}...I've bought around 10 or 12 in the past and saved a bunch of $!! I guess I never thought about contacting the seller about a return.... Thanks jwnic for the thought....
Thinking about a sub compact to carry and will use Ebay for the holster.
Any time I can help!

Speaking of holsters, has anyone used the Galco SkyOps holster for a pistol about the size of a G23? I've been eyeing one for use when I need my shirt tucked in, but I'm a little concerned about the butt of the gun printing. Would like to get some real-world experienced thoughts on it. (Or is this a question better asked elsewhere on the forum?)

Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #337

Quote:
Any time I can help!

Speaking of holsters, has anyone used the Galco SkyOps holster for a pistol about the size of a G23? I've been eyeing one for use when I need my shirt tucked in, but I'm a little concerned about the butt of the gun printing. Would like to get some real-world experienced thoughts on it. (Or is this a question better asked elsewhere on the forum?)
I tried the Galco SkyOps with my Sig P-229. It was not bad, but I did not like the way it sat in just one spot. I ended up going with the Milt Sparks VMII for ALL my IWB holster. It just felt better then the Galco did. To sum it up it felt like I was sitting on my old tri-fold wallet. It was very uncomfortable for me. Plus the Milt Sparks was easier to tuck my shirt in then the Galco. I did not like the single 3 finger clamp that attatched to the belt. Compared to the 2 tuckable clips that the VMII has.

Speaking of eBay and holsters, I just picked up a new Milt Sparks VMII for my Para USA 1911 for $150. I have ordered almost all my holsters off of eBay, guess I have been lucky to get what works for me.

Old 10-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #338

I've wondered about buying a couple of those Y-hooks (http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterP3.asp?ProductID=3285&CatalogID=294) -- or something similar -- and attaching them to each side of my older leather holster... Any thoughts on that?

Also, how well do the SkyOps and the Milt Sparks retain their shape for reholster (IWB)? Pain in the butt?

I appreciate ya answering my curiosity questions!

Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #339

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
I tried the Galco SkyOps with my Sig P-229. It was not bad, but I did not like the way it sat in just one spot. I ended up going with the Milt Sparks VMII for ALL my IWB holster. It just felt better then the Galco did. To sum it up it felt like I was sitting on my old tri-fold wallet. It was very uncomfortable for me. Plus the Milt Sparks was easier to tuck my shirt in then the Galco. I did not like the single 3 finger clamp that attatched to the belt. Compared to the 2 tuckable clips that the VMII has.

Speaking of eBay and holsters, I just picked up a new Milt Sparks VMII for my Para USA 1911 for $150. I have ordered almost all my holsters off of eBay, guess I have been lucky to get what works for me.
I tried carrying my 229 for a long time. Tried differant tricks and configurations because I do love my 229 so much. But I finally came to the conclusion that the double stack 229 carried any other way than under the arm can be seen from a mile away under a shirt tail or belt clip and such is just too bukly unless you don't care about such things. Now have a Kel-Tec 9-11 that takes a S&W 15 magazine perfectly. This gives me 16 rounds that I can carry in the back of my pants and the signature is so thin it's very hard to see. While i do miss my 229, I've begun to love my Kel-Tec. Also, the Kel-Tec is such a little 9mm, I can carry a dual paddle magazine holder on my side and it to is so thin it's hard to see. So with two more S&W 15 round magazines's giving me 46 rounds at my disposal and takes up very much less space that the 229 on it's own. Just an opinion. : ) Hope I didn't get off subsect.

No such thing as a "running start"
NRA, ILE, American Shooter

Last edited by peybella; 10-18-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by peybella View Post
I tried carrying my 229 for a long time. Tried differant tricks and configurations because I do love my 229 so much. But I finally came to the conclusion that the double stack 229 carried any other way than under the arm can be seen from a mile away under a shirt tail or belt clip and such is just too bukly unless you don't care about such things. Now have a Kel-Tec 9-11 that takes a S&W 15 magazine perfectly. This gives me 16 rounds that I can carry in the back of my pants and the signature is so thin it's very hard to see. While i do miss my 229, I've begun to love my Kel-Tec. Also, the Kel-Tec is such a little 9mm, I can carry a dual paddle magazine holder on my side and it to is so thin it's hard to see. So with two more S&W 15 round magazines's giving me 46 rounds at my disposal and takes up very much less space that the 229 on it's own. Just an opinion. : ) Hope I didn't get off subsect.
The thing that helps me is that I have VERY wide shoulders and a narrow waist so all my shirts hang on my frame. Currently I am carrying my Sig P-226 with 2 spare mags or my ParaUSA GI Expert 1911 also with 2 spare 8rd mags in Milt Sparks holsters. I have never liked a shoulder holster especially living here in Az. It is way to hot to wear a jacket.

I even carried and sometimes still do, carry my Springfield XD-45C.