Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What type of training can help you identify a real threat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Default What type of training can help you identify a real threat?

Just now i thought sombody was trying to steal my motorcycle i live in a condo and i chain my motorcylce down in front of my house, i was watching tv and my mom bursts into my room and says son son! somebody is trying to steal your bike! someone is rattling the chains outside! Its 2:30 am and its not the first time someone has stolen something off my driveway so i grabbed my glock 19 ran outside and chambered a round. My gun was loaded and ready to go There was nobody out there and i went back inside i am really shooken up and it all happend so fast my adrenaline was pumping and i wasn't even thinking i don't ever want to shoot anybody unless they are a real threat and they are going to hurt me or my family. did i overreact by chambering a round? Or should i identify the threat and then chamber a round? Where can i go to get proper training? i don't think i would have shot even if there was somebody. but now im questioning myself because of how intense my adrenaline was pumping and how fast i responded i want to be assured i wouldn't shoot unless it was a real danger or threat what kind of drills should i do? Did i respond correctly? What would you have done?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

I would recommend a concealed carry class, even if you decide not to carry. Follow that up with a home defense class. Check out the NRA's refuse to be a victim program. They list NRA certified instructors in your area and the classes they offer. I keep my weapons locked and loaded at all times. Think about what could of happened if it was a ploy to get you outside by making noise, in the time it took you to rack your slide the bad guy could already of had the drop on you, and you wouldn't have been able to respond because you didn't have a round chambered. A gun is nothing but an overpriced paper weight or door stop if you don't have it loaded. That's what kills me about states that require your guns be stored unloaded with the ammo separated. What good is it going to do if you have to go through all kinds of steps to get your gun functional? I'm all for weapon safety and keeping guns out of reach of my kids, but that's why I keep them locked in a quick access safe during the day and in my nightstand at night. They also know never to touch a real gun if they see one.

Anyway off topic a little bit, but yeah, check out the NRA programs to get some training that you feel would be beneficial for your situation.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #3

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

I live in arizona and im 19 i i need to be 21 to to obtain a concealed carried license, my stedpdad works night shifts he is the one that has the concealed carry license but he works night shifts and its just me my mom the dogs and our glock during the night i chambered a round as soon as i grabbed it my mom got scared and yelled dont shoot It! i said ok i know what im doing and went outside to look around. the glock was loaded and i do feel confident controlling the gun even though there really isnt a safety except the trigger and i know what im doing with it. im just not confident and not sure how to react if there actually is a threat or somone there trying to steal my motorcycle i dont want to shoot and kill somone if they are just going to steal something. I only want to kill if my family me or my little dogs are going to be hurt. i think im going to buy my own 12 guage and load the first round with a bean bag and the rest with buckshot for home defense. Is this a good option?

Last edited by hq357; 06-29-2013 at 10:51 AM.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #4

Liked 1064 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 266

You might begin by reading your state laws. And yes, you do need some training.

Why didn't you just call the police? Were you willing to shoot a person over the theft of a motorcycle?

Bean bags? Hell no that is not a good option. If you shoot a person with a bean bag from a shotgun, you have still have "shot" them. I don't think that the law differentiates over the projectile you use. If you shoot someone with a bean bag and they are armed, then you are probably going to die young. If you can't legally shoot them with 00B then you can't shoot them with bean bags.

In most places you can only use a firearm if your or someone else's life is in immediate and deadly jeopardy. Stealing property does not meet that criteria.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 06-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

There are some things I guess you could point out to help with this but I teach, 'follow your instincts'. If it doesn't feel right it probably isn't!!!
Either avoid it or be prepared to deal with it.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #6

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Shooting someone for stealing a vehicle from your driveway when you are in the house is a great way to end up in a huge world of trouble.

You do need training....you need to understand when you can and cannot use deadly force.

Stu
www.stu-offroad.com

Old 06-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona98tj View Post
Shooting someone for stealing a vehicle from your driveway when you are in the house is a great way to end up in a huge world of trouble.

You do need training....you need to understand when you can and cannot use deadly force.
That is not the point here. EVERYONE who accepts the responsibility of being armed must know the 'law'. Identifying a 'threat' has nothing to do with the law, only your situational awareness.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 06-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think we have a 'double thread' here!!!
Check the 'training' forum.

Last edited by JimRau; 06-29-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2165 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 1101

hq357

Chain is right on the money with his advice! But there are some things that precede your action.
1. Call the police since even though they were not there when you went out. You can bet they were probably still in the area seeing what they could steal.
But to start, if the area of your bike is in view from a window or around a building it would be best to observe the area for a while first. This might keep you even armed, from walking into a bad situation or worse. They could be armed and ready or have a lookout or backup individual. An example from experience, a guy was having his car broken into in a apartment complex in the city. He went charging out of his apartment to the car and was shot and killed immediately right there on the sidewalk. Never had a chance to defend himself. So gets back to the point. if I were going to go out and approach anyone stealing my bike, you bet I would have one cambered and the gun out of the holster or wherever it is carried.
As Chain stated in most states you can not use deadly force in theft cases unless you are threatened with serious bodily injury or death yourself. Obvioulsy if they pulled a weapon and aimed it at you or shot at you that would constitute the use of deadly force but only then.
But I believe it is a great idea that anyone who carries or has a weapon for self defense should get some profesional training, know how to operate the weapon, become proficient and know the Law. The NRA has some good classes as do some shooting facilities. But get some references on outside trainers. There are a lot of so called instructors out there only sucking up bucks with little training experience. "Wanabees!
Good luck and I am glad this particular incident came out in your favor!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I think we have beat this 'less lethal' thing to death. If you are not backed up by a person armed with lethal force, less lethal is NOT an option!!!

axxe55 Likes This