Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What should my first firearm be (using for home-defense)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM   #51
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I guess I didn't convey my message all that good. Sorry. Point & shoot is considered aiming as far as I'm concerned. As far as a 12ga. goes, I have one loaded and ready. But my point is you can reach for, and fire a pistol from your bed. This would be most difficult with a long-gun, especially a shotgun. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it's more difficult.

My setup includes a chambered Mossberg 500 in one location, however my .40 Cal. is at arm's reach at all times regardless where I am in the house... including the bed.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #52

Reply to first gun for home protection. I read alot of replies that recomend 12 ga. I worked with a follow that shot a intruder with a 12 gage.He said the mess he had to clean off the walls was sicking. His wife would not go back in that house. He had to paint the inside of the house before he could sell it. I sleep with a 25 automatic under my pillow. a 380 which is a 38 short makes a good house gun. Ray

Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #53
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Sami View Post
Reply to first gun for home protection. I read alot of replies that recomend 12 ga. I worked with a follow that shot a intruder with a 12 gage.He said the mess he had to clean off the walls was sicking. His wife would not go back in that house. He had to paint the inside of the house before he could sell it. I sleep with a 25 automatic under my pillow. a 380 which is a 38 short makes a good house gun. Ray
To each his own Ray, and I respect your opinion. But the fact is, you aren't likely to stop an intruder with a 25 Auto unless you get really lucky, or happen to make well placed shots. A .380 is certainly better, but 380's are typically BUG's and not used as primary HD weapons. A 9mm would be an absolutely minimum. The nice thing about protecting your home is, you aren't restricted by size & capacity like Conceal Carrry is. So use the something that has big knock-down capability and lots of rounds available.

Last edited by Mark F; 11-14-2008 at 09:48 PM.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #54

I have to go with shotgun, but if you frequent gun stores and pawn shops for the budget you've got in mind you can get a decent Mossberg and a Taurus revolver in .38 or .357 used. This solves both problems, but as stated very well in other posts, training and a plan are both higher on the list than choice of weapon. You and your family need to know where to be and what to do and you can include this with an overall emergency plan and practice it at least once a month. Stay prepared and stay safe!

Old 11-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #55
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In our area, there were two Home Invasions that were instantly thwarted by the home owners. One used a 40 S&W and the other was a 9mm. Both perpetrators were shot and killed in their tracks. The two home owners had shotguns, but neither had time to go grab them... However, both had pistols within arms reach.

In a more receint case, a home owner stopped a burgulary next door using a shotgun. The neighbor heard a perp breaking into the home next door and he called 911. He told the 911 operator he was going next door to shoot a burgular, and he did. The perpetrator was killed from a single shot from a 12 ga. "00" to the chest.

In Texas all of the above cases are considered to be a righteous kills, thanks to the Castle Doctrine.

NOTE: More home invasion perps have been shot and killed with pistols than long guns, even though long guns were in the homes. It's just a simple fact of life that pistols are much more readliy available for spontanious home invasions.

Last edited by Mark F; 11-15-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #56

I would say that a nice shotgun would be a good first purchase for home defense...but since you don't want one, I know for a fact that the XDs are ambidextrous and they are FINE shooters...13rd and 16 rd capacity for the 9mm.. got my xd9 subcompact for 429$ plus tax

also come with goodies (speedloader, mag holster, holster )and have nice features (1911 style rear grip safety and U.S.A. trigger {similar to the glock safe action})

Google "xd torture test" they put the gun through hell and back and wouldnt choke after 20,000 rounds

they even threw it off a friggin mountain!!!

Springfield XD-9 Subcompact
Taurus Model 605 .357 Mag
Kel-Tec P32
Ruger 10-22
Winchester 1300 Rifled Deer Slug (Tactical)
Saiga 7.62x39

Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Sami View Post
Good luck with that .25. You may need it.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #58

Dude...For close quaters combat(which is inside your house)

You should be looking for a shotgun,take an advanced firearms/weapons handling course and keep the handguns for carry and target shooting/collecting.

Indoors,a criminal will be sneaky,trying to evade and gain the element of surprise.A shotgun with "buckshot" munitions spreads a grouping of pellets within a close range,causing maximum damage.Anything else will just make it harder.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:14 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixdeluxe1 View Post
Dude...For close quaters combat(which is inside your house)

You should be looking for a shotgun,take an advanced firearms/weapons handling course and keep the handguns for carry and target shooting/collecting.

Indoors,a criminal will be sneaky,trying to evade and gain the element of surprise.A shotgun with "buckshot" munitions spreads a grouping of pellets within a close range,causing maximum damage.Anything else will just make it harder.
I agree that a shotty is top notch for hd. I do want to bring to the forum's attention that a shotgun at 20 to 30 feet (the length of a room in most houses) will only pattern about 2 to 4 inches wide. Many people think the pattern will be more like 2 to 4 feet. I highly recommend patterning your shottys with several types of shells. Even with bird shot the patterns will be much tighter than most people think. In my opion, this is even more reason to have a shotgun as a primary home defense weapon.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #60

Liked 1641 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

I am also a lefty. I noticed that the Sygma was one of your choices. As were several Glocks. The Sygma and the Glock have one thing in common. The safety is part of the trigger. It doesn't matter if the shooter is left or right handed. I have to say though, a little five shot revolver in a pocket hoster is easily carried any time of year. J-Frames are really nice.
A lot of people have different opinions. All have valid points. But, what fits my hand may not fit yours. You might want to go to a gun store and feel the fit of several different options. I have never shot a Glock. But a lot of cops swear by them.