Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What should my first firearm be (using for home-defense)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #41
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Please bare in mind that all of these "opinions" are merely that. And everyone knows about opinions...

They do however, provide you with real-world applications. That's a good thing. I (we) have no idea as to what would work for you. Only you can make that decision. However, I'd like to throw out something for your consideration, since this is all new to you.

No matter what weapon you "decide" on, there is a mental state you have to deal with. And that is your "willingness" to kill another person. Even an individual that's violating your home is still a human (more or less). ANYTIME you put a weapon in your hand for self defense, you had better be ready to KILL or be KILLED. There will be consequences. I know there's lots of "macho guys" here that talk the talk, but I can assure you that killing another human, either accidentally or intentionally is no small issue.

CASE IN POINT: Not too long ago, one of my neighbors' 8 year old kids' got a hold of his dads cocked & locked 12 gauge which was hidden under his bed. His son accidentally killed his 9 year old best friend, (another neighborhood kid). I think you get my point?

This is SERIOUS business...

Last edited by Mark F; 09-19-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 PM   #42

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have to give a big thumbs up to much of what G21.45 is saying.

A good large caliber semi-automatic pistol is the best FIRST self-defense firearm. It doesn't really matter if it's a high capacity polymer or a 1911.

I strongly recommend carrying one or two extra magazines on your person. Wouldn't hurt to keep another one stashed out of sight in your car. If you don't like carrying a spare on your side, just wear cargo pants (or cargo shorts, depending on the weather). Plenty of pockets for extra magazines etc.

Several things can go wrong with a revolver. It's very easy to "short-shuck" a revolver trigger under stress, which will cause a failure to fire. Also, contrary to popular belief, revolvers DO jam, and they are NOT a rare occurrence. And when revolver jams happen, they often require a trip to a gunsmith, whereas semi-autos can be cleared in a couple seconds by the shooter.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im new here, but I'd like to add my $0.02 to this thread regarding the "shotgun v.s. handgun" debate.

While I am not the most experienced gun owner, it is my understanding that handguns (generally) are used for close-range personal defense. I.E. your home. I would think you would want a handgun (be it semi-auto or revolver) to lower the chances that you would paint the walls with scattered shot, not to mention the risk of a poorly placed shot ricocheting or spreading to un-intended targets (family members, pets, your home) if the range of the bad guy is not close enough to absorb all of the lead from the scattergun.

As mentioned before, we all know about opinions...

Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #44
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
I have to give a big thumbs up to much of what G21.45 is saying.

A good large caliber semi-automatic pistol is the best FIRST self-defense firearm. It doesn't really matter if it's a high capacity polymer or a 1911.

I strongly recommend carrying one or two extra magazines on your person. Wouldn't hurt to keep another one stashed out of sight in your car. If you don't like carrying a spare on your side, just wear cargo pants (or cargo shorts, depending on the weather). Plenty of pockets for extra magazines etc.

Several things can go wrong with a revolver. It's very easy to "short-shuck" a revolver trigger under stress, which will cause a failure to fire. Also, contrary to popular belief, revolvers DO jam, and they are NOT a rare occurrence. And when revolver jams happen, they often require a trip to a gunsmith, whereas semi-autos can be cleared in a couple seconds by the shooter.
I have never had a single jam in my 48 years of shooting & hunting with REVOLVERS. I've shot tens of thousands rounds, in lots of different brands and calibers. Factory loads as well as re-loads, never a jam, never a mis-fire. I shoot super high-powered ammo for hunting, as well as low-powered ammo for target parctice and never had a jam... Neither has anyone I hunt with, as well as shooters at our Gun Club. I don't know what "brand" of revolver you may be referring to, but you obviously don't know much about quality revolvers. Some of my revolvers are 40 years old and have never been to a gunsmith... for ANYTHING let alone what you claim!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #45

Default Best gun for home defense?

I have to agree with the guys recommending a shotgun especially since it will also be a 'FIRST' gun. In a real situation it's definitely your best defense. No aiming, just point & shoot. Even if woke out of a dead sleep you can't miss someone in your bedroom doorway with a scattergun.
As far as my bedroom goes you'll find a 12ga. Baikal side by side "Bounty Hunter" under my side of the bed and a 2 inch., 5-shot "Charter Arms .44special Bulldog Pug revolver in the night stand...in case theres more than two. A.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 AM   #46
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

While the "idea" of using a shotgun for home defense is great, in the real world it doesn't work all that well. First off, the shot pattern of a 12 ga. is small at interior house distances so aiming is really necessary. Next, waking up and reaching for a long-gun and aiming it at an assailant is cumbersome at best. And almost impossible if you're still in bed.

Don't get me wrong, a shotgun is GREAT and is certainly deadly under the right circumstances. But don't kid yourself in thinking it is all you need. A handgun for home defence is really faster to access, faster to aim, just as deadly at close range, and often times will allow many more rapid-fire shots.

Keep your shotgun close, and your pistol closer.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:46 AM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
While the "idea" of using a shotgun for home defense is great, in the real world it doesn't work all that well. First off, the shot pattern of a 12 ga. is small at interior house distances so aiming is really necessary. Next, waking up and reaching for a long-gun and aiming it at an assailant is cumbersome at best. And almost impossible if you're still in bed.

Don't get me wrong, a shotgun is GREAT and is certainly deadly under the right circumstances. But don't kid yourself in thinking it is all you need. A handgun for home defence is really faster to access, faster to aim, just as deadly at close range, and often times will allow many more rapid-fire shots.

Dude, have you been drinking tonight?

A handgun is "deadly at close range." I would take my changes at getting hit with a 44 LONG before I'd take my chances at getting hit with a 12 g. At least with a 44 it might go through... if it hit no bones and nothing important, I'm good. Shotgun... sht, I'm done if no matter where it hits... unless it is a clean miss.

When I hear something in the house, I have a choice between many handguns, long guns and two shotguns. Each time, without hesitation, I've grabbed the shotgun.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 AM   #48

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I have a remington 870 for main home defense, with my trusty m&p 40 as backup. Go with that. Shotgun first, handgun second.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 11-12-2008, 05:04 AM   #49

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I have to agree with everyone as far as the shotgun goes. Just the sound of a slide being racked has thwarted many a night time home invasion! Also, if you are new to handguns I would recommend a revolver as your first gun, a course (like someone else mentioned) and membership in an indoor range for a while, unless you can shoot in your backyard like some of us real lucky folks! The revolver will NEVER jam, it will teach you about SA/DA trigger pull in a safer platform, and depending on what you get, you can even mount a scope on it and use it for hunting! If you get a .357 Mag you can shoot relatively cheap ammo with less recoil in .38 spl out of the same gun, so you have two choices of ammo with one gun as well as a variety of bullet styles and weights for almost any situation. If you buy a handgun, sooner or later you will have to start reloading.....or go broke!
first u need to ask is if u miss your target how far can the round go, i.e through the wall into the neighbors home.apartments and new gun owners dont mix with high velocity bullets. i would recomend a moss 500. u have so many affordable accessories you can get to make it look scary as hell all for the same price as a 500- 600 dollar handgun

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-12-2008, 05:10 AM   #50

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post

i dissagree, a shotgun no matter the distance is a point and shoot weapon, you would have to be pretty bad aim or really drunk to miss the shotgun is so much easier than a hundgun.

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you