What should my first firearm be (using for home-defense) - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What should my first firearm be (using for home-defense)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

I would temper the words about shotguns. The shot spreads at a rate of about 1" for each yard out of the barrel. At 14' the shot spread will likely be about 4". If you think it will be had to miss, you had better reevaluate your position. It is very easy to miss. A shotgun must still be aimed. Too many people think of a shotgun as a "point it in his general direction and fire" kind of weapon. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Is it easier to hit with a shotgun, of course. Does it guarantee a hit, absolutely not.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Cannot disagree with what most people say, a shotgun has great stopping power and it’s hard to miss with. Although I don’t think there’s going to be a whole lot of spread within 14’. When qualifying with a shotgun at 25 yards you would usually find all nine pellets within the silhouette.

Having said that a shotgun is a great weapon, and I have several, I would opt out for a large caliber auto. For me there is nothing better than a colt 1911. The one drawback is that first shot. You either have to have one in the pipe with the safety on or half cocked, or pull the slide and rack a round in before you are ready to shoot.

That’s why I now carry a sig P220, DA makes things a little safer. Don’t get me wrong, the 1911 is the best shooter I own, and if I had to go into a fire fight with just a hand gun that would be it. But for overall safety and ready to fire, I guess the DA feature is best.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #33

This my choice

When outnumbered 2 to 1.
Shoot twice!

Gopher

Old 08-08-2008, 05:13 PM   #34

IT’S NOT, SO MUCH, A QUESTION OF WHAT FIREARM YOU WILL USE TO DEFEND YOURSELF IF YOUR HOME IS INVADED, INSTEAD IT'S MORE A MATTER OF WHAT YOU WILL DO!

You know, I'm surprised at the comments made by those who haven't specifically recommended the use of a shotgun for home defense: Their advice is remarkably sound and shows a lot of CQB savvy! A pistol is my own first line of defense. I will use it, first, before picking up an, 'M-Forgery' w/ a couple of 30 round magazines attached. (Goodbye home equity appreciation!)

Shotguns and revolvers are for amateurs – NOT gunmen! Semiautomatic pistol malfunctions are quick and easy to clear IF you know how; and, revolver jams can take more hand strength than many people have in order to get the gun back into service. I’ve been teaching people how to shoot for many years. If I’ve seen it once, I’ve seen it a dozen times: Under even mild stress, someone who is only reasonably familiar with a revolver is going to start dropping and scattering shots as he double action cycles the trigger. (And single action fire often doesn't work well on moving targets - Especially when that moving target is firing back!)

Yes, I know pistoleros who handle their revolvers well, including two women; but, these people fire 100 + rounds each week and are possessed of much better than average revolver handling skills. (My own wife is one of them!)

robocop10mm, and coltm4 are only too correct. Shotguns, and large centerfire weapons, ARE extremely loud when fired indoors and can be thoroughly disorientating. If someone mentions, ‘racking the slide’ in order to scare off the bogeyman one more time I think I’ll scream! If you try that with an experienced gunman, his reflexes will take you out long before he, himself, has a chance to even think about doing the same thing! I know this is the internet; but, what are you, nutz?

You think you can’t miss with a shotgun at house clearing distances? Well, I used to have an acquaintance who, probably, lived far longer than he should have because someone did, in fact, miss his head twice with a 12 gauge shotgun at about 15 to 18 foot distance. (He seemed to think this was funny, and used to joke about it!)

The principal reason I don't respond to, 'bumps in the night' inside the house with a tactical entry carbine is because, first of all, it IS my own home; and, second, the neighbors on both sides certainly aren't going to be safe once I begin tapping out a series of wicked short bursts!

For many years I used a long barreled 22 caliber S&W Model 41 for home defense. I used to keep my Model 41 with two extra 10 round magazines next to the bed. It would have been an extremely easy pistol to fire in the dark while inside the house: There was no muzzle flash, minimal percussion, comparatively little noise, and it was easy to aim. At inside-the-house distances it wouldn't have been a problem to quickly dump all 10 rounds out of the first magazine into a 6" circle.

About two years ago, and after my neighbor's drug peddling kid took five 40 caliber rounds through his dining room window at 1:30 in the morning, I began to rethink this decision; and, I quickly realized that most plywood and sheetrock rooms are, in fact, largely indefensible.

Which brings up two salient points: One, I keep my gun safe near where I sleep - Not like so many of my shooting acquaintances who keep their own gun safes as far away as one or two floors removed from their bedroom areas. Two, once I get to my gun safe I've got 2 options: I can hunker on down behind the heavy steel walls and door and prepare to engage (or continue) from there; or, I can grab one or two slung carbines and DO THE REALLY SMART THING by taking the fight outside the house where it actually belongs, and where I will quickly pick up decisive advantages in: reaction time, freedom of movement, and available hard cover!

Back in 1990 our home was invaded! If you're close to a gun, no matter how large he is or how well armed, one guy on your turf is really no big deal. (I wasn't armed - and, that was the last time in my life that I haven't been armed inside my own home - but, our Pit Bulls proved to be more than a match for him!)

I learned some interesting lessons, that day, about defending home and family. First, once the fight begins neither party wants to remain inside the house. The overwhelming desire is going to be to escape! However, a woman with children might be better off to remain physically isolated inside a bedroom while her home is being invaded; and this is, in fact, exactly what we teach many ordinary citizens to do in a typical home defense classroom. (Where I usually keep a majority of my personal opinions to myself; but, this is the internet, so ...... !)

If you're suddenly cornered, you do need to barricade yourself as quickly as possible. Do NOT, under any circumstances, go to investigate the threat. If it's a false alarm, time will reveal the mistake; if it's a genuine threat and you haven't got backup, BARRICADE YOURSELF AND YOUR LOVED ONES AND STAY PUT! Three things you should always have with you when you retire for the night are a cell phone, a flashlight, and a properly secured gun.

This being said: If you’re able to escape, 'the box' and get out of the house, I would encourage you to do so. Me? I've got 3 large windows and 1 extra door in my home that will allow me to quickly exit; I've, also, got plenty of hard cover immediately adjacent to the house.

Quite frankly, once I get outside, I feel sorry for anyone caught inside my home. Why? Because he’s going to be in the same crappy position I was in when he, first, arrived. He'll, probably, still be somewhere inside there, too, when the police finally arrive!

AGAIN, IT’S NOT, SO MUCH, A QUESTION OF WHAT FIREARM YOU WILL USE TO DEFEND YOURSELF IF YOUR HOME IS INVADED, INSTEAD IT'S MORE A MATTER OF WHAT YOU WILL DO, AND HOW WELL YOU WILL DO IT!

Last edited by G21.45; 08-08-2008 at 06:47 PM.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I have to agree with everyone as far as the shotgun goes. Just the sound of a slide being racked has thwarted many a night time home invasion! Also, if you are new to handguns I would recommend a revolver as your first gun, a course (like someone else mentioned) and membership in an indoor range for a while, unless you can shoot in your backyard like some of us real lucky folks! The revolver will NEVER jam, it will teach you about SA/DA trigger pull in a safer platform, and depending on what you get, you can even mount a scope on it and use it for hunting! If you get a .357 Mag you can shoot relatively cheap ammo with less recoil in .38 spl out of the same gun, so you have two choices of ammo with one gun as well as a variety of bullet styles and weights for almost any situation. If you buy a handgun, sooner or later you will have to start reloading.....or go broke!
You wont find better advice than this right here. Im a 357 man myself. I prefer a 6" (can mount scope) but lack of open carry in Ar has be bound to a 3"

Old 09-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bravo G21.45

Old 09-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #37

If you are adament on a pistol, Id go with the Glock 23 as I love it! But, if you are needing an HD gun Id buy the 870 Express "tacticool" version with the fixed stock.

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 09-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I would temper the words about shotguns. The shot spreads at a rate of about 1" for each yard out of the barrel. At 14' the shot spread will likely be about 4". If you think it will be had to miss, you had better reevaluate your position. It is very easy to miss. A shotgun must still be aimed. Too many people think of a shotgun as a "point it in his general direction and fire" kind of weapon. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Is it easier to hit with a shotgun, of course. Does it guarantee a hit, absolutely not.
Truer words never spoken. Amen!

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 09-18-2008, 04:00 AM   #39

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #40

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

What kind of firearms do you see yourself handling with confidence?

We can all give you tons of our opinions, and it's smart to ask around for different ideas (it's an excellent starting point), but in the end it's up to you.

If all you feel comfortable handling is a .22 caliber handgun, then there's your answer. Do not purchase something on someone else's advice if you feel uncomfortable handling it.

If there is a shooting range in your area that allows people to rent firearms for target practice, I recommend you go to it, and try out different firearms. You begin to get a feel for how a revolver runs against an automatic, or how a bolt action rifle runs against a pump action shotgun.

Whatever you do, please be sure to educate yourself thoroughly in safety and best practices.

You'll do fine.