Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What should my first firearm be (using for home-defense)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I agree with coltm4 and G21, but unless you're going to make a serious commitment to training with that particular design, until it's second nature no matter what, I would look elsewhere than a 1911 pattern. Under stress fine motor skills go to hell, and even simple things like re engaging a manual safety, if you even remember, become more difficult.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 06-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #22

shotgun for your first gun very easy to operate

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 07-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #23

When it comes to home defense FOR ME nothing tops a shotgun. I have grown to love my pistol grips probably because it feels more natural to me and it is much easier to move around corners without the stock. Another plus behind the shotgun for home defense is the various ammo types and with penetration in mind i feel much safer using my 12ga #4 buckshot than anything else i would use for home defense. If you dont mind me asking, why do you insist on a handgun?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #24

M&P is amb

Old 07-06-2008, 05:55 AM   #25

Default well..

me personally, for home defense i would use a shotgun, point blank period, but if a full scale world war broke out, i would grab my ak. But outta your list, i would either go with the beretta or springfield xd, my buddy has a springfield xd and likes the gun alot.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #26

Id go with 357 mag, its reliable and good for someone who is just learning to shoot you can get a new one for around $300 or a lil more..pending on where you go.. good luck

Old 07-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #27

Default Ar M4

I will agree with the above posts however i prefer a M4 with a light I have pistols in the room but there only there to get me to my M4 or shotgun. You get a higher number of rounds in a M4 with lots of ways to attach things such as lasers and lights. Remember get what is most comfortable for you.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:42 AM   #28

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I prefer the AK with a light...

Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuii View Post
I will agree with the above posts however i prefer a M4 with a light I have pistols in the room but there only there to get me to my M4 or shotgun. You get a higher number of rounds in a M4 with lots of ways to attach things such as lasers and lights. Remember get what is most comfortable for you.
i prefer my m4 as well. i have a surefire MU light mounted on knights armament rails and trijicon compact ACOG.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:30 AM   #30

After taking a gun safety class and studying police boo-boos (accidents discharging weapons) I have come to the following conclusion for home defense:
Shotgun (pump action). Most indoor engagements occur at about 14 feet distance and a shotgun produces a nice broad pattern at that range so it is hard to miss.

I have never shot at a person and hope never to but it I am told by the experts it is very difficult to do. Shooting a person with a handgun will at 14 feet will be extreemly difficult. Police, who have been trained find it very difficult to hit their target with a handgun - get a shotgun.

If you absolutely insist on a handgun get a revolver - not a semi-automatic pistol. To many things to remember to shoot a pistol (term I will use for semi-automatic). Pick up a revolver and shot - no thought process. Pick up a pistol - fee, is the safety off? Is there a round in the chanber? Is there a clip in the pistol. Again, pick up a revolver and shoot it. Last, for home defense with a handgun use Jacked Hollow Points (JHP). Less likely to have other issues like shooting the neighboor and the JHP has much better stopping power. Though Glaser bullets sound like the best home choice they just don't have the stopping power.

You want something that won't require a lot of thought on your part - again a shotgun. A bad guy entering your home will know what the pumping action of the shotgun means even if he hears it in another room - he will run. You are nurvous, shaking, you can still hit the man with the shotgun.

Actual, police shooting story: Two policemen, one bad guy in a shootout. Distance 15 feet. 32 total shoots fired from both sides - no one hit. Don't laugh - if you think shooting someone is easy go to one of those cardborad people shooting ranges and try it on cutouts figures of people and see out hard it is.

One last thought - ask our Marine friend in this thread but if he has been in combat I bet he find it harder to shoot accurately at close range than longer range - why? My thought it that it is less personal at long range. When we look a man in the eye the whole dynamic changes.