Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What to pick next?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default What to pick next?

I have been carrying my Glock 17 for a few weeks now and I have decided I want something smaller to CC easier.

I don't want to spend $500 on another pistol so looking for something a bit cheaper. If I can't stay under that price I will just get another glock.

Wants
Something smaller
reliable
good safety

Nice plus
light weight
durable finish
10+ round mag

I trust the 9mm to put someone on the ground no problem and with 17 rounds I know I have enough to stop 3-4 people if I had to(then it's do I have enough time). But if I going to pick up a new pistol maybe it's time to change to a diff caliber. I don't want to go smaller so that limits me to 40, 44, 45 and 357 right?

My thoughts on each caliber are (in order I would pick them)
45 common round lots of power
357 I can target shoot with cheaper 38 (I think) most come in revolver. Good power
44 ammo a bit harder to to come by and prices little higher but still good power
40 is not a lot bigger then a 9mm so not for me

357 vs 44 is a toss up I don't know enough about them

Revolver vs semi auto doesn't matter a lot. It depends on price in the long run. I like semi for the more rounds but if revolvers are cheaper I can deal with it.

So point me to a few pistols that will work for me please. And if you can convince me on a caliber to help me narrow my choices.

Mossberg 500
Glock 17
Savage Mark 2
Hi point 995TS
Winchester 410
Rossie single shot 22lr

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I strongly recommend that you carry the same system that you're already comfortable with. That doesn't mean every gun you buy has to be the same system. I love all sorts of handguns and shoot quite a few, but the one I'm going to carry I shoot the most and most often. So I would suggest you take a look at the Glock 19 and Glock 26. The same thing goes for caliber. I shoot .45 ACP and 9mm the most, because I carry a firearm chambered in each one of those calibers. Another thing to consider is having two different carry firearms, one for spring and summer and the other for fall and winter. In the spring and summer I carry my Ruger SR9c. During the fall and winter I carry my Springfield Mil Spec 1911A1. The reason I carry two different ones is, because during the different seasons people will be wearing lighter or heavier clothing so if I did have to stop a threat if I was using the 9mm on someone wearing a heavy duty leather jacket I might not stop them. So I carry the .45 ACP for that reason and some other reasons too.

Regarding firearms to consider there's Kahr, Ruger, Glock, Springfield, Sig Sauer, and various others.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawk77 View Post
I have been carrying my Glock 17 for a few weeks now and I have decided I want something smaller to CC easier.

I don't want to spend $500 on another pistol so looking for something a bit cheaper. If I can't stay under that price I will just get another glock.

Wants
Something smaller
reliable
good safety

Nice plus
light weight
durable finish
10+ round mag

I trust the 9mm to put someone on the ground no problem and with 17 rounds I know I have enough to stop 3-4 people if I had to(then it's do I have enough time). But if I going to pick up a new pistol maybe it's time to change to a diff caliber. I don't want to go smaller so that limits me to 40, 44, 45 and 357 right?

357 I can target shoot with cheaper 38 (I think) most come in revolver. Good power
44 ammo a bit harder to to come by and prices little higher but still good power

Revolver vs semi auto doesn't matter a lot. It depends on price in the long run. I like semi for the more rounds but if revolvers are cheaper I can deal with it.

So point me to a few pistols that will work for me please. And if you can convince me on a caliber to help me narrow my choices.
Highlighted in bold is NOT true...if its sighted with .357 you can only hit with .357...38's will hit way high. .357 is a much hotter round and for whatever reason(s) i have found the .38s just hit high.

I went with the Kel Tec PF-9 from 21st Century in Bluffton for $300...its easy to conceal,, light, but is only 7+1 capacity.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-08-2011, 10:02 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:

Wants
Something smaller
reliable
good safety

Nice plus
light weight
durable finish
10+ round mag

The value of my life = "...so looking for something a bit cheaper."

I think your personal defense priority's are a little mixed up!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #5

Well, I might be able 2 settle your debate between the 357, and 44. The magnum calibers recoil can be a bit much in a smaller cc gun with a barrel under 4" (which would probably be what ur looking for cuz u said smaller than ur Glock 17 with a 4.5" barrel). The 44 magnum round is around 70-100 grains heavier than a 357, and has a lot more recoil. As far as relying on the availability of the 44 special round, I wouldn't count on you being able 2 find and shoot many rounds (unless u order online). The 357 has more than enough stopping power at a slightly lower cost, and the 357 and 38 are among the most popular rounds u can find. So, unless u just want 2 blast your attacker with a cannon, the 357/38 special is a very versatile/very effective cc weapon.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1126 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 648

Quote:

Wants
Something smaller
reliable
good safety

Nice plus
light weight
durable finish
10+ round mag

well ruger sr9c and sr40c would be my first thought that match nearly all of your criteria. springfield XD's would be another. they are are reliable, light, 10 plus rounds in either caliber. they shoot well also. very comfortable in the hands. and price okay. i paid just shy of 470 for my sr9c and 350 for my xd. best money ive spent
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Last edited by jjfuller1; 10-08-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Warhawk,

Just wanted to advise there is a significant difference between the 9mm and the 40 Cal. regarding performance. And I like the 45s also.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1810 Times on 984 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Unless you go used, I dont think you are going to find much you will like under $500. You might want to consider a G30 or G36. You are not going to like the triggers on mini guns and the recoil can be rough which means you wont practice enough. In the summer here it is T shirts and shorts so my carry is a Sig P238. I had a Keltec P3AT and a PF9 and I got rid of both of them. Winter is the G36 or the SR9c. Consider the G26 also as it will take the G17 mags. Short mag for carry and the 17 for spare.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 10-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #9

Likes Given: 1

FMJ@ thanks for that info I did not know that. I have very little knowledge on the 357. Thanks

Canebrake@ If I spend $1000 on a pistol does that mean I am safer? A gun is a tool and I know all tools are not equal. If I am going over $500 I am buying a glock as I would and do trust them with my life. We all know there are pistols for $300-400 range that are very good. But if I can't find the caliber and mag size I want in that price I will go higher till it all comes together for me. Just don't know all my options as I am more of a rifle guy.

Fatmidgets@ Thanks for that info. I owned a ruger 357 years ago but right after I bought it I got a offer and sold it after a few days. Looking back I should have keep it. The major concern about revolvers is only 5-6 rounds I like the idea of having a few more shots. The 38 makes me me wonder is that enough power to stop a attack on my family?

JTJ@ I am a huge fan of used. I own 9 firearms and only 1 was bought new. I am cheap so always looking for a deal. What is diff about the triggers? I'm in Indiana so we only have about 3 months where I can wear shorts. That gives me lots of time to CC with a coat

Everyone else@ Thanks for the info. I am still in what I call research phase, I don't want to buy the wrong pistol for me. So I am looking for all my options.

I am planing on running at least 300-400 rounds thru the pistol before I start carrying it everyday. Unless it is another 9mm and then I will do less. I think I will try to go by the store tomorrow and test fit a few or maybe find some local guys and test theirs out some.

Mossberg 500
Glock 17
Savage Mark 2
Hi point 995TS
Winchester 410
Rossie single shot 22lr

Old 10-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
FMJ@ thanks for that info I did not know that. I have very little knowledge on the 357. Thanks

Canebrake@ If I spend $1000 on a pistol does that mean I am safer? A gun is a tool and I know all tools are not equal. If I am going over $500 I am buying a glock as I would and do trust them with my life. We all know there are pistols for $300-400 range that are very good. But if I can't find the caliber and mag size I want in that price I will go higher till it all comes together for me. Just don't know all my options as I am more of a rifle guy.

Fatmidgets@ Thanks for that info. I owned a ruger 357 years ago but right after I bought it I got a offer and sold it after a few days. Looking back I should have keep it. The major concern about revolvers is only 5-6 rounds I like the idea of having a few more shots. The 38 makes me me wonder is that enough power to stop a attack on my family?

JTJ@ I am a huge fan of used. I own 9 firearms and only 1 was bought new. I am cheap so always looking for a deal. What is diff about the triggers? I'm in Indiana so we only have about 3 months where I can wear shorts. That gives me lots of time to CC with a coat

Everyone else@ Thanks for the info. I am still in what I call research phase, I don't want to buy the wrong pistol for me. So I am looking for all my options.

I am planing on running at least 300-400 rounds thru the pistol before I start carrying it everyday. Unless it is another 9mm and then I will do less. I think I will try to go by the store tomorrow and test fit a few or maybe find some local guys and test theirs out some.
Good luck on your search. Plenty of gun shops in the area to do some window shopping and the Indy 1500 is coming up in a week or so...that would be a GREAT place to get a killer deal on a new or used handgun.

I am planning on heading to tri county next weekend with the youngest...But time on the public ranges for me is about done for the year...every jackwad in the territory is gonna start showing up in a mad dash to get ready for the deer opener. I on the other hand shoot all year so i dont need to get prep'ed the week before.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!