Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   What are my options? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/what-my-options-20103/)

red ryder 11-15-2009 03:56 PM

What are my options?

I'm planning on picking up a new pistol in the next month or so, and i'm having a hard time deciding.

I really want a DA/SA with a visible hammer. (I know, i know, the XD is a great gun...i just really like having that big ol hammer in front of me)

I really like the sig p229 .40, but i would like some other options so i can shop around.

I prefer IWB so i don't want it to be really bulky.

I would also prefer something reliable(just has to work, everytime), that i won't mind beating up...don't want to be daily carrying some collector's gun :rolleyes:

thanks for you input!

-Craig

CA357 11-15-2009 04:42 PM

Take a look at a CZ 75B. You can get it in .40 if you want. I had one in 9mm and it was an absolutely outstanding pistol. They are also an excellent value and priced comparably to the XD's etc..

red ryder 11-15-2009 05:13 PM

CZ-USA -> CZ P06

this looks like what i'm looking for.

acouple questions. with the decocker...is it the same design as the Sig that when you release the hammer with the decocker it returns the gun to DA or are you left with a dead trigger?

CA357 11-15-2009 05:34 PM

I think it's a dead trigger, but I didn't have the decocker version, so I really don't know. I'm sure somebody here can tell you though.

Stormbilly 11-15-2009 09:47 PM

When you decock the hammer, you can still fire it with a double action trigger pull. It's not a dead trigger. The gun is DA/SA. I have the P-01 (same thing as the P-06, but in 9mm), and it goes into an almost half-cocked position when you decock it. This position makes for a much easier first DA trigger pull, and is just as safe as if fully decocked. The P-01 (or P-06) is probably the semi-auto that fits my hand the best. It's very comfortable, and a great shooter. I don't think you should hesitate getting it if it fits your criteria for a new gun, and if it feels comfortable to you.

red ryder 11-15-2009 10:09 PM

good to know. i will defiantly be trying to find one locally to check out.

michigan0626 11-15-2009 10:51 PM

Check out EAA'S Witness. Comes in steel or polymer; full size (4.5") or compact (3.6). From $350-$500 on Bud's.

CA357 11-16-2009 12:30 AM

The Witness is a CZ clone. Lately I've been hearing about their frames cracking.

Franciscomv 11-16-2009 01:26 AM

Another vote for CZ here! I had a CZ 75 B and it was great. I'm waiting for my local gun shop to get a single action stainless one to replace it. I miss it!

Witness pistols are very popular in Argentina because of their price, the steel framed ones seem to work fine (many IPSC shooters use them) but I've only heard bad things about the polymer framed models. I'd go for a CZ.

Dillinger 11-16-2009 01:33 AM

In that arena, I would recommend both the CZ and the Springfield XD. Both are very good guns that perform the task at hand without any problems.

Having said that, I have a P229 in .40SW that has seen, probably,5K or 6K rounds over the years. I carried it for over 8 years in Tacoma, Oakland, Dallas/FT Worth, Indy and Chicago.

That weapon is still as stout as the first day I fired it and I can't remember there being a time that it didn't feed or go bang when I wanted it too. I have never HAD to have it go bang, but I have no worries that it would should the time ever come.....

JD