What if you can't lock yourself in? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What if you can't lock yourself in?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 03:43 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9147 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

FWIW, IF a room has a door, it probably swings IN. Visit your local hardware store, and for about $5 you can get the latch that mounts to the inside of the door frame, swings over and drops down, blocking the door. (hint- if you have kids, and you and mom want some privacy, best $5 you will spend!) Will that little latch resist a bulldozer/battering ram? No- but it is stronger than most interior doors.

If I have family somewhere else in the house, I will be going to get them. Am I standing up? Depends- where am I? BTW, STAIRS make a great choke point- looking down them OR looking up.

A lot of what has been said here goes down to a very important point- early warning, and multiple layers. If I know someone is struggling to get thru the rose bushes, tripping the alarm, getting barked at by PuppyBeast, falling over the cat BEFORE he can smack out the back window, I have time to grab the munchkins, call 911, lock and load, inventory ammo, make a sandwich ()- as opposed to waking up to find someone already in my bedroom. Security should start as far out as you can. Not at your walls.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #22
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
In a home defense situation, you're not fighting for a piece of strategic military valued real estate, and you're not fighting against an army of soldiers..... Most likely, you're up against one or two morons who want to steal something they can sell... They're not there for a long term siege. They want to get in, grab, and get out. It's easier to defend one room than it is an entire house.... especially (as I said earlier) if you don't know for sure how many intruders you're dealing with. My firearms and I are more than a match for one or two intruders in an area that they are not familiar with. Now if you find yourself in a situation where a carload of thugs are after you personally, they're not gonna pursue after the first few shots, and let you pick 'em off, they'll probably blow you up, or burn you out, or pick you off on the street.

Just my opinion, and I hope none of us need to defend our homes.
Simply not true, if bad guys enters a home they expect to have people in it (like in the middle of the night) that is a home invasion. They will first come for the people in the home before going after the property. This type of crime is up becase the bad guys know they will get more than your TV, they can get your cash, credit cards your ATM card and the keys to your cars. A far better score than the smash and grab crime that most alarm systems and a good dog will prevent. If they are in you home late at night it is an assualt and they expect you to fold fast.

Little choice but to meet that assult with force. I know my home better than the bad guys that broke in so I know where cover is. I have two dogs a lab and a rot and know they will do there part. I would get my family to a common safe point and call 911. Then I would take action. I have militarty and LE training but even if I didn't I expect I would be compelled to resolved the threat and not wait for the threat to come for me and mine.

I think the "bunker" method gives the bad guys time to come at you with optimal force. Local police response time is 3-5 minutes which is dam good but a truly long time to defend a bunker position in most homes.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #23
Jay

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

I too have a bit of military in my past, and it tells me not to put myself in the middle of an unknown force, with unknown arms, unknown training, and an unknown objective.... Assaults on occupied homes are in the vast minority. (In the several counties surrounding my home)

Things downstairs are covered by insurance. The stairs and upstairs layout provide excellent choke points, and absent grenades, gas, or structural damage, our bedroom will be easily defended with the arms kept there.

As I said...

Quote:
Just my opinion, and I hope none of us need to defend our homes.
No one solution suits all of us, and I sincerely hope that whatever plan we choose to implement is more than adequate.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 AM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

RIGHT.

There is no set circumstance and no rules of engagement. None of us can "really" know how we will react in a sudden suprise home invasion. All I can say is, I'm mentally progarmmed to counter-attack. I have at least one weapon in every room plus one in my pocket at all times. All of my room guns are out of sight, but readily available. I have trained to effectively shoot and kill while sitting, standing, laying down, and firing around corners. I also learned to shoot equally well both left-handed and right-handed. All I am lacking in training is shooting perps through walls. And I'm working on that. You have to be ready and it won't happen miraculously. You have to learn it, in order to use it.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:12 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got a great dane unfortanatly iam not real sure she would even get her dumb ass up much less attack but she just needs to make enough noise to wake me and buy me a sec. to get the roscoe out.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #26
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David26 View Post
I got a great dane unfortanatly iam not real sure she would even get her dumb ass up much less attack but she just needs to make enough noise to wake me and buy me a sec. to get the roscoe out.
I had a great dane a long time ago, we consider her to be a cow dog. As big as a cow and as about as smart. All the same she was pretty protective of our home. She didn't bark often but was an oposing figure to strangers. Thats a good family dog and a puppy for there whole life.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:11 AM   #27
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I too have a bit of military in my past, and it tells me not to put myself in the middle of an unknown force, with unknown arms, unknown training, and an unknown objective.... Assaults on occupied homes are in the vast minority. (In the several counties surrounding my home)

Things downstairs are covered by insurance. The stairs and upstairs layout provide excellent choke points, and absent grenades, gas, or structural damage, our bedroom will be easily defended with the arms kept there.

As I said... No one solution suits all of us, and I sincerely hope that whatever plan we choose to implement is more than adequate.
That military expereince also should have given you the skill to confornt an agressor on your terms (your home) with an advantage as this is your ground and you know it better than the agressor and it is is far more important to you than it is to them.

I'm not going to ask what branch of the military you were in but can tell you "put myself in the middle of an unknown force, with unknown arms, unknown training, and an unknown objective" is pretty much the job of the USMC. And I expect the Army Rangers do about the same.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 AM   #28
Jay

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
"put myself in the middle of an unknown force, with unknown arms, unknown training, and an unknown objective" is pretty much the job of the USMC
How much I know about your opponent determines how I react to his presence. Intel is great, IF you have any. Plus, if it's just me, or is my wife home ? As I've said on another board, until you've "been there", you don't know what you're gonna do, or how you'll react. Having a plan helps, but also as I've said before, one plan does not fit all. You gotta do the best you can with what you've got. At my age and physical condition, I'll hole up and defend the high ground. I'm too old to fist fight, and won't run very far, so it's much easier for me to just ......... well, you know.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Last edited by Jay; 02-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #29

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Dog alarm!

Worth the price of dog food and then some.

Good companion and I enjoy the walks, even the cleanups.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-13-2009, 06:36 AM   #30

my 100lb pit/boxer mix will hold the BG off long enought for me to get some/anything to defend my family and myself. they want the tv they can have it. i dont watch anything but the news and i can get that online. if somebody gets in ( i dont own a handgun or shotty but i do have other weapons ) the person will be delt with and not very happy when gettin they're free ride in a police car.
now will that said i'm not tryin to sound like a Bad azz or anything but i know how to handle myself in a hand 2 hand manner. soon i will own a handgun and will train with the weapon daily. until its apart of my body. needless to say pick another house BG.

hopefuly none of you or myself will have to encounter something like this