Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   What if it is not registered to me? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/what-if-not-registered-me-24401/)

Uchahi 03-09-2010 01:52 AM

What if it is not registered to me?

So lets say that I have a 1911 and I have a concealed weapons and I am forced to shoot this guy. Now the 1911 is not registered to me what will happen? I assume the the police take the weapon to ensure that it is the weapons used in the defense act. It is a no no to carry something that your name is not attached to?

I live in FL if that makes a difference.

-Uchahi

skullcrusher 03-09-2010 02:30 AM

Is gun registration required in Florida? :eek:

willfully armed 03-09-2010 02:45 AM

This is the one facet of the AMerican gun owner that drives me bat sh** crazy!

There is only ONE federally mandated registration in the United States. NFA Class 3 weapons, IE, full auto and burst fire guns manufactured before 1986

A few, and I mean 2(?) states require a "registration" of guns. Ilinois and Mass.

Any one person on here who doesnt reside in those states, who tells you they have a registered gun(other than NFA class 3), or have ever registered a gun, is either ignorant, or just copying some ignorant individual they listened to.

Gojubrian 03-09-2010 03:01 AM

Regeeerstered.........we don need no stinkin' regeesteered!!

MotorG20 03-09-2010 06:27 AM

You always hear the registration thing in movies also. Every time I hear it I have to laugh. You know it's the liberal hollywood producers/directors that just assume gun registration:rolleyes:.

MotorG20

Jpyle 03-09-2010 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uchahi (Post 243803)
So lets say that I have a 1911 and I have a concealed weapons and I am forced to shoot this guy. Now the 1911 is not registered to me what will happen? I assume the the police take the weapon to ensure that it is the weapons used in the defense act. It is a no no to carry something that your name is not attached to?

I live in FL if that makes a difference.

-Uchahi

Don't know but assuming the weapon you carry needs to be listed or associated with your CCW you may have some problems. Someone with a Florida CCW will surely chime in with the proper info.

Big Gay Al 03-09-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 243837)
This is the one facet of the AMerican gun owner that drives me bat sh** crazy!

There is only ONE federally mandated registration in the United States. NFA Class 3 weapons, IE, full auto and burst fire guns manufactured before 1986

A few, and I mean 2(?) states require a "registration" of guns. Ilinois and Mass.

Any one person on here who doesnt reside in those states, who tells you they have a registered gun(other than NFA class 3), or have ever registered a gun, is either ignorant, or just copying some ignorant individual they listened to.

So far as I know, Illinois does not require registration of firearms, only Chicago. Or at least, Chicago requires handguns to be registered.

Michigan requires handguns to be registered. Illinois registers the firearms owners, with their Firearms Owners' ID card. (FOID).

ThorsHammer 03-09-2010 02:43 PM

If the gun is actually registered to someone else, as opposed to not being registered at all, I would NEVER carry it or keep it in my home. Even if it's "not registered at all;" what if it at some point in time was used in a robbery, or lord forbid, a murder?

I'm not a lawyer, but I can see a literal worm's nest with holes in your civil defense case were you to use a firearm not your own for concealed carry and in a possible defense shooting.

The only exception I can see is if the gun belongs to someone in your immediate family.

Glasshartt 03-09-2010 07:36 PM

Except for those particular states, I don't see it as a problem. Heck, my duty carry Glock 19 is not "registered" to me. Bought it second hand in a face to face deal. I have no clue who the original owner was.

Gojubrian 03-09-2010 09:00 PM

In arkansas I qualified with an autoloader. I can carry as many revolvers or auto's I want and it doesn't matter who's it is or where I got it.