Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What is the ideal handgun to conceal while hiking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post

To each his own, of course. I'm no ballistics expert but I would think a rifle round shot out of a handgun would lose a lot of its potential.
Being a shorter barrell, it does lose some velocity but it still traveling at about twice the speed as any other pistol round. I know the rounds I carry chronograph at just over 2100 fps out of this short barrell. And the rounds do not typically go beyond 11-12inches so its dumping at that kinetic energy in its target.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 1864

I've heard, maybe on this forum, that the best thing to take with you in bear country is to take a friend. When the bear starts moving toward you, shoot your friend in the knee, then run like hell to get out of there.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #43

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I've heard, maybe on this forum, that the best thing to take with you in bear country is to take a friend. When the bear starts moving toward you, shoot your friend in the knee, then run like hell to get out of there.
At least take an ex wife or ex girlfriend, what kind of friend are you? .......lol
Old 05-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #44

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
Here's an idea, invite the mother in law for some bonding time.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:51 AM   #45

Liked 239 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bears respond better to bear repellant than bullets . Some of you guys will get people so frightened that they'll carry a 12 guage sawed-off or tow an M-2 behind them .

Snake loads rarely come into play . Normally, you either see the snake and walk away or step on it and get bitten before you know it is there .

JMOP ( Just My Own Paranoia ) but I carry my usual Glock because I want relative lightness coupled with long range accuracy JIC (Just in Case )- I get shot at by a rifleman .

Reminder : Ruger.com for political action .

Old 05-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #46

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you looking for light weight then why not a Taurus .44mag revolver w/ a Titanium frame. The LGS has one & its so light it seems like a toy gun. If your a fan of a pistol chambered in a rifle round then as mentioned already 45LC would do the job.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:29 AM   #47

Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Bears respond better to bear repellant than bullets . Some of you guys will get people so frightened that they'll carry a 12 guage sawed-off or tow an M-2 behind them .

Snake loads rarely come into play . Normally, you either see the snake and walk away or step on it and get bitten before you know it is there .

JMOP ( Just My Own Paranoia ) but I carry my usual Glock because I want relative lightness coupled with long range accuracy JIC (Just in Case )- I get shot at by a rifleman .

Reminder : Ruger.com for political action .
good point, bear spray might be a good idea no matter what gun you go with. Be sure to have a camera with you, just because you see a bear doesn necessarily mean trouble, could be a great opportunity for a pic and memory of a lifetime.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #48

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Default ideal handgun while hiking

There is no ideal, depends on the area you are hiking in. For coyotes, mountain lions and wolves I would carry a .380 such as a Bersa Thunder with an extra mag or two. Go ahead and laugh, but a .380 WILL take down a wolf or Cougar at close range. Wild Boar have been taken down with a .380.

As far as bears go, I saw a park ranger standing on top a bear truck, he pulled up the gate to release a Grizzly and the grizzly grabbed the gate and shook the truck knocking the ranger to the ground. That Ranger immediately pulled his .357 and he had to empty all six rounds into the bears chest to bring him down. This was from about 8 to 10 feet away.

For bear I would want .41 or .44 mag but maybe a 10mm.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 PM   #49

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Glock 29 imo. Small in size but 10mm. Best you can do for being mobile and stopping power.

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #50
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 908 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton View Post

Assuming he even noticed that you shot him, lol.

And at ar10, in the woods/forests/mountains, open carry, and a powerful revolver are appropriate, glock 20 is for protection against people, you want to carry not enough gun and have it tangle in your pack, than preplan your funeral so your family doesn't have to.
No Glock should ever spend one second out of a 100% trigger covering holster, until someone responsible is ready to use the gun. On top of that, I always keep a trigger block safety in place on my Glock 20. It is like keeping my Glock in two holsters.

I will be the last Guy you read about with Glock leg, is my plan. I am a NRA certified instructor in pistol as well as being an NRA range safety officer and a chief range safety officer.