Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What is the ideal handgun to conceal while hiking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 02:03 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3720 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunRunner View Post

Is that what there adds say.........lol

Ive become a fan of rifle rounds in pistol platforms so ive become quite found of the FN 5.7. 20-30 low recoil easily well placed shots and light as can be.
To each his own, of course. I'm no ballistics expert but I would think a rifle round shot out of a handgun would lose a lot of its potential.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #32
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Threat assessment in the woods. Vital.

What animal has been known to attack man, on hiking trails all across America for hundreds of years? Tens of thousands of reports.

Answer is man attacking man.

Bears, big cats, sasquash or ET attacks are quite rare.

Arm yourself for the most likely attack, and the least likely attack that could happen, man or bear, in that order.

Man threats are best handled conceal carry. Open carry will invite a greater likelihood of ambush, rather than armed frontal assault.

From an advantage of concealed carry, you must surprise your attacker, that you will fight back, rather than cower.

Most likely, the person attacking you would want to kill you, and rape your GF.

The best handgun for one or multiple attackers, and still be effective on bears, is a Glock 20. One factory mag gives you fifteen rounds. One factory mag with an Arredondo base plate is 20 rounds.

The woods are dangerous. 50,000 people disappear in the USA every year, and some of those folks like to hike in the woods, never to be seen again.

When you enter a trail site, place a note in your car, saying what trail you are going to use, and what time you expect to return to your car. On another piece of paper, write down all the car descriptions and licence plate numbers. Those people are in the woods right now, and may not have good intentions.

Once on the trail, pay attention, to people, and sounds around you. Often, stop, look and listen.

Don't be a victim.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #33

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I live in rural South Central Georgia. While hunting it is common to encounter coyotes, panthers and black bears. A few years back, I remember reading the news report and seeing the pictures in the net, a hiker shot a bear six times with a 38 special and still ended up getting killed and eaton. Of course, it was a grisly.

I would still stick to nothing under 357 magnum with at least a 6"'barrel. Better safe than sorry.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #34

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

A native Texan, I am now living in NW Pennsylvania. In the woods bordering our house there are coyotes, small critters such as racoons, foxes, possums, and the occasional black bear. There are three of four black bears that make this area part of their foraging rotation.

I gave some serious thought to what to carry when messing around in these woods. My edc is a .40 caliber, but I don't think that would be sufficient on the remote chance I met up with a bear with an attitude (more danger from a rabid fox, imo). I finally decided on a Ruger Sheriff's model in .45 LC loaded with heavy Buffalo Bore ammo. (I don't currently own a .44 mag; if I owned a Smith or Ruger .44 mag with a 4" barrel that would probably be my first choice).

Old 05-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1120 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I live in rural South Central Georgia. While hunting it is common to encounter coyotes, panthers and black bears. A few years back, I remember reading the news report and seeing the pictures in the net, a hiker shot a bear six times with a 38 special and still ended up getting killed and eaton. Of course, it was a grisly.

I would still stick to nothing under 357 magnum with at least a 6"'barrel. Better safe than sorry.
Right. If you shoot a grizzly with a .38 spl, you might piss him off.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #36

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

[I I live in So FL! I'm never in glades, and 90 percent of my protection is centered around man, understanding that Parts of South Florida is high Crime! I guess the Gators would be my biggest animal threat and since I'm never in the swamps they are not really a concern!! But anyone know what(if anything) would take care of a good size Gator in short order?? I should know,living down here so long but something I've never researched!

Old 05-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #37

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU

I hear they don't like bee stings.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #38
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5173

The easy answer is .. .. .. ..
Have many handguns so you can choose the right one for the trip.

When in Arizona, I'll carry a light weight (38spc or 45 ACP alloy) with snake shot. maybe some real rounds in my pocket.

When I walk my yard, I'll carry the 1911 style .45 acp because it's my standard carry.

If bigger stuff is in your area .. .. .. go big.

The most important thing is to have one that you will keep handy. (I would love to have a S&W stainless jframe for the trail, but alas...... )

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #39

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Springfield xds all the way. All around value and quality. And so small it's stupid.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #40

Liked 101 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post

Assuming he even noticed that you shot him, lol.

And at ar10, in the woods/forests/mountains, open carry, and a powerful revolver are appropriate, glock 20 is for protection against people, you want to carry not enough gun and have it tangle in your pack, than preplan your funeral so your family doesn't have to.