What is the ideal handgun to conceal while hiking? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What is the ideal handgun to conceal while hiking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 01:19 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
I'd want something pretty powerful. For such critters, I'd carry a 44 mag.
S&W Mountain gun, or a Ruger Alaskan.
The Ruger Alaskan is a serious chunk of hardware. We had one in the shop a while back. I didnt get to shoot it, but you could probably beat a bear to death with it, It must be built like a tank....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #12

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

RG, nobody's hiking with those N-frame-sized guns. More than once. They're for badaze collectors and fly fisherman during the salmon run...

Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl View Post
The Ruger Alaskan is a serious chunk of hardware. We had one in the shop a while back. I didnt get to shoot it, but you could probably beat a bear to death with it, It must be built like a tank....
[could beat a bear to death with one] hmmmmmm
That would then be a "good bear".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunz05G
Recently I have started to go on hikes with my fiancee and 4 year old son. I live in washington state but sometimes I go to idaho and oregon. We have ran into a couple of coyotes, nothing serious but lately I have been paranoid about running into a black bear or cougar. Please any suggestions?
I'm not a hiker but just off what I know about calibers, the two obvious choices are .44 Magnum or 10mm. Those are the conventional choices, but I've heard plenty of people say a full power (or close to it) load of .357 Magnum can handle some types of bear. I like the .357 idea for a little less weight yet still having a reliable caliber.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #15

Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts

FNS-9 with +P. I like having the 17 rounds and +P 9mm comes very close to .357 Mag in a number of tests I have looked at. Plus around here (VA) the most dangerous encounter will be humans. Those black bears around here run at the slightest noise.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2810 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1637

Ideal is tough, a great choice is a 4" bbl. .357 mag., and it would be mine.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #17

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

In WV, we are allowed to OC. In a hiking situation...I would certainly do this. I cannot think of a reason to CC....unless it is a comfort thing for you and your family. I will admit that while my wife enjoys shooting my .40.....she does not love to see me OC.... I have told her that she will have to get used to it in certain situations until I choose to get my CCW permit. But I digress....here it is common to see this especially when out on a hike.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

For black bear or cougar, take plenty of power, but make sure to do some practice with your chosen piece to get accustomed to the recoil. And don't take something so heavy that it makes your back ache from balancing it on one hip or shoulder. A S&W model 29 with a 4" barrel would be lighter than a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk. I carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Magnum, with a 6.5" barrel (46 oz) in a shoulder holster in cool weather, and a S&W model 58 in .41 magnum (42 oz) with a 4" barrel in warm weather, for coyotes, bears, and wolves. They are a little lighter in weight than Redhawks (54 oz) and Super Redhawks (64 oz), but pack plenty of power.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

It really depends. When I go hiking I often try to keep my pack is light as possible. I often carry a ruger sp101 or a ruger lc9. I used to carry my super black hawk .44 but its kind of hard to rock climb with a cannon of that size. I live in Colorado and have encountered bears, rattlesnakes, cougars and coyotes. If any of them got close a warning shot scared them off. (Besides the rattler, I had to put him down.) In my neck of the woods im more worried about 2 legged predators then 4 legged ones. If you do decide to carry a larger handgun. Look into a shorter barreled ruger redhawk or Blackhawk. If revolvers are not your cup of tea look into a semi in 10mm 45 or 40. No im not a ruger fanboy it just so happens that all my hiking guns are from them .

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #20

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazurd View Post
It really depends. When I go hiking I often try to keep my pack is light as possible. I often carry a ruger sp101 or a ruger lc9. I used to carry my super black hawk .44 but its kind of hard to rock climb with a cannon of that size. I live in Colorado and have encountered bears, rattlesnakes, cougars and coyotes. If any of them got close a warning shot scared them off. (Besides the rattler, I had to put him down.) In my neck of the woods im more worried about 2 legged predators then 4 legged ones. If you do decide to carry a larger handgun. Look into a shorter barreled ruger redhawk or Blackhawk. If revolvers are not your cup of tea look into a semi in 10mm 45 or 40. No im not a ruger fanboy it just so happens that all my hiking guns are from them .
Its ok..Say it..My name is Lisa. and im a Ruger-a-holic... Im a Ruger fangirl....

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......