Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   What is the ideal handgun to conceal while hiking? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/what-ideal-handgun-conceal-while-hiking-90643/)

Gunz05G 05-13-2013 09:10 PM

What is the ideal handgun to conceal while hiking?

Recently I have started to go on hikes with my fiancee and 4 year old son. I live in washington state but sometimes I go to idaho and oregon. We have ran into a couple of coyotes, nothing serious but lately I have been paranoid about running into a black bear or cougar. Please any suggestions?

towboater 05-13-2013 09:27 PM

I'd want something pretty powerful. For such critters, I'd carry a 44 mag.
S&W Mountain gun, or a Ruger Alaskan.

Jagermeister 05-13-2013 09:31 PM

Big difference in animal sizes. .44 mag with a medium size barrel is my choice if black bears are around. Shorter barrels have more recoil, and the longer barrel helps with accuracy at longer ranges. Check out the various brands to see which feels more comfortable in your hands. I hunt with a full size handgun on my hip. I am able to conceal it very well despite the size. I only have to worry about Russian and German boars so I carry a HK USP .40. It does the job for my situation. If you are looking for a semi-auto, maybe consider a full size 10mm. I hear a cop took out a bear with one shot from a Glock 20. You will get more advise on this thread and many opinions. The question comes down to what you can handle, and what feels more comfortable.

orangello 05-13-2013 09:52 PM

If you don't like the magnum revolvers, maybe the Glock 20c in 10mm with some handloads or some full-power loads from a place like Buffalo Bore. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=219

Please remember, with bears, they are ALL "coming right for us". ;)

TruggieTex 05-13-2013 10:04 PM

When I go hiking (multi day jaunts in forbidding terrain with EVERYTHING on your back), weight consideration is on the gram level. This forces many hard decisions, and the invention of reversible underwear. My lightest gun is my air weight .38 and with the right round can be quite a deterrent/killer.

If a short hike with less weight concern is the plan, my options would open up considerably!

25-5 05-13-2013 10:04 PM

You are not hunting, you are being hunted.
Generally just leave the animals alone. Do not pet. Coyotes should not bother an adult unless rabid. Bears with cubs, or if you have some smelly delicious stuff in your pack. Big cats in the woods will have your throat torn out before you can say Huckleberry. Do not run.
S&W 629 with a 4" maganaported barrel. 6" max w/o any scope. Open carry holster and speed loader. Wear a loose open shirt or jacket for concealed easy access. Practice on moving targets at various distances with factory mag loads. Practice is key.
I would not worry, only a few hikers get eaten.

phildenton 05-14-2013 12:53 AM

Cougs will usually not be a problem, i live in wa too, and hike as well. In this setting open carry is appropriate, a 357 or 44 mag double action revolver would be well suited, 158 grain lead semi wad cutter in 357, or 200 - 240 grain lead semi wad cutter in 44 mag. If you are in rattler territory then the shot load ftom cgi in either of the 2 is recommended.

A good used ruger with a 4" barrel.

HockaLouis 05-14-2013 01:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mine? Lower 48!?

readygirl 05-14-2013 01:12 AM

WOW...You guys hike in some exciting places...worst thing could happen to you around where i live , is maybe getting stung by a bee.

readygirl 05-14-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readygirl (Post 1245950)
WOW...You guys hike in some exciting places...worst thing could happen to you around where i live , is maybe getting stung by a bee.

I take that back, crazy PEOPLE are the most dangerous thing you are likely to encounter on a trail around here....