Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What exactly is reciprocity?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What exactly is reciprocity?

I was having an argument with my brother. From my understanding, if another state has reciprocity with the state that you have a concealed handgun permit in, then you are allowed to carry concealed in that state. My brother said that you would still have to apply for a permit in that other state, but you wouldn't have to take any classes or anything.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #2

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

If you have a valid carry permit from state X and you are in state Y (which has a carry reciprocity agreement with state X) you can legally carry in state Y AS LONG AS YOU OBEY THE LAWS OF STATE Y! That means you MUST know the laws of the states you travel to!

My Florida CCW license allows me to carry in 34 other states.

If in doubt, check here:

Handgunlaw.us

Or use our other resources here:

Concealed Carry and Travel Resources

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 09-02-2011 at 06:02 PM.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7562 Times on 3294 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

It is really very simple- your brother does not know what receprocity is. As he just said up there ^^^- it means that the states have a reciprocal agreement to recognize the permits issued by another state- we recognize yours, because you recognize ours. No additional permits required.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:59 AM   #4

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Have to be careful though. I believe there is a state or two that will recognize a Fl license for example, but Florida has limitations on that particular state or the other way around. I remember reading about it in the past but can't remember the specifics. In general your definition is correct. Two things Florida is pretty strict on. Fire arms and medical licenses.

No such thing as a "running start"
NRA, ILE, American Shooter

Old 09-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
If you have a valid carry permit from state X and you are in state Y (which has a carry reciprocity agreement with state X) you can legally carry in state Y AS LONG AS YOU OBEY THE LAWS OF STATE Y! That means you MUST know the laws of the states you travel to!

My Florida CCW license allows me to carry in 34 other states.

If in doubt, check here:

Handgunlaw.us

Or use our other resources here:

Concealed Carry and Travel Resources
I concur with above statement. Canebrake is right on this one.