Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What to do when you're stopped by the police and carrying...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good One!
Last time I tried letting the officer know I had a ccw he started up with me.
"I want to know just why you are escalating this situation" is what he said. Then he & his partner next decided that since 3 out of the 5 serial #'s on my Kel-Tec P3AT matched those of a stolen gun that they'd need to impound my gun. I tried to explain to the officer's that 3 out of 5 is not an instant winner, but unfortunately these guy's had never actually "won" at much...I got my gun back & it was broken. Kel-Tec came thru like a winner & replaced the whole gun, frame & all. They even put my first gen serial# on my new 2nd gen replacement. Thanks MCSO for being the jerks I expected and also thanks to Kel-Tec for replacing the gun that the MCSO jerks broke.
Gee, when will the mcso po-po learn that besides the few criminals they might happen upon, there are also a much larger portion of the population who do not exist to cause them trouble, I like to call these folks:Citizens. Sure would be great to be pulled over sometime by a cop who can pretend to be able to tell the difference between a lawbreaker and a Citizen.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #12

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
Good One!
Last time I tried letting the officer know I had a ccw he started up with me.
"I want to know just why you are escalating this situation" is what he said. Then he & his partner next decided that since 3 out of the 5 serial #'s on my Kel-Tec P3AT matched those of a stolen gun that they'd need to impound my gun. I tried to explain to the officer's that 3 out of 5 is not an instant winner, but unfortunately these guy's had never actually "won" at much...I got my gun back & it was broken. Kel-Tec came thru like a winner & replaced the whole gun, frame & all. They even put my first gen serial# on my new 2nd gen replacement. Thanks MCSO for being the jerks I expected and also thanks to Kel-Tec for replacing the gun that the MCSO jerks broke.
Gee, when will the mcso po-po learn that besides the few criminals they might happen upon, there are also a much larger portion of the population who do not exist to cause them trouble, I like to call these folks:Citizens. Sure would be great to be pulled over sometime by a cop who can pretend to be able to tell the difference between a lawbreaker and a Citizen.
I hate when I hear about experiences like this. We're not all a-holes, but unfortunately there are few bad apples in every bunch.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 11-27-2010, 04:57 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Better hope you pull over a concealed carry

Here in Texas it is not an option, you must show your CC permit along with you drivers license.

As far as a LEO pulling over a person with a Concealed Carry Permit I will pass on the information my Department of Public Safety Instructor told us when I became a Concealed Carry Instructor. He said, "when I pull a car over, especially at night, I don't know what I am going to run into; it this person armed, wanted, mentally unstable, intoxicated or what? So I have to be on high alert and at the ready. When I pull a car over and see a Concealed Carry Permit I breathe a sigh of relief. I immediately know that I am dealing with a law abiding citizen that happens to have a firearm. I also know this "citizen" has passed a background check that a lot cops couldn't pass! I know this person is not going to shoot me over a traffic ticket".

My being one of these citizens I know the officer's thinking is correct.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
Here in Texas it is not an option, you must show your CC permit along with you drivers license.

As far as a LEO pulling over a person with a Concealed Carry, I also know this "citizen" has passed a background check that a lot cops couldn't pass! I know this person is not going to shoot me over a traffic ticket".

My being one of these citizens I know the officer's thinking is correct.

Dude Really,
No cop is gloing to be given a gun without passing these requirements along with a background check. I have 2 FFL's and a AZ CCW along with a Utah CCW & have been through many background checks. Most cops in my town prefer to treat me like the enemy & that makes me wonder, as they are obviously not on my side, I must be on my own side?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

High speed that sounds like good advice thank you. I'll try to remember it if/when I ever get pulled over.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #16

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
I hate when I hear about experiences like this. We're not all a-holes, but unfortunately there are few bad apples in every bunch.
you are very correct. Sadly though it will be that few that get all the attention. I've had friends and/or family that worked as LEO most of my life.I've met many-many officers. And that one gut that is a real Oscar Meyer will be the one that get's people rather afraid of the PD or just flat out don't trust them. I had one actually use tools and take the seats out of my friends car because when he searched it (and I still don't know what we did to warrant that) found a plate under the seat with bread crumbs on it. He asked
" Is this crack??!!?? Is it drugs??!!???" This made the driver laugh really hard. And that laughter got the seats removed from the vehicles right there on the side of the road. On the up side the county Sheriff showed up and made the officer reassemble the vehicle and remind him that bread crumbs is not enough a reason to disassemble a car.

LEO have a job that I'm really glad I don't do. You guys are tough men and women and deserve respect. But it wont happen many times because one guy got beat up in high school so he becomes a cop so that he has to be respected. And that is the guy that will mess it up for the real good guys.

Stay safe and keep on keepin' on.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #17

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I've only been pulled over a couple of times since I got my permit, once for a tag light, the other because my window tint "Looked too dark".
I simply handed over my DL, insurance card and GFL (Georgia Firearms License).
They asked where the gun(s) were, I told them and that was it, they didn't ask to see the gun.
So far I haven't been hassled about it. *knocks on wood*

Old 12-03-2010, 02:40 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I travel by vehicle in my job a lot thru many different states. Fortunately, all of the states I drive thru recognize my states permit

one Sunday night, I was on my way to a hotel in a small rural KY town ( I live in KY) I got pulled over for speeding 2 mph over the 10 grace they give us

I did exactly what High Speed mentioned in his post

It was dark, I have dark tinted windows. Before the officer got out of his car, I had the dome light on and all the windows rolled down.

I did inform him that I had a weapon in the car and I was a permit holder. He asked where the weapon was.

I pointed at the pocket in the drivers door and said "right here"

He just said ok and we continued to talk. He went back to the cruiser and promptly wrote my ticket.

He asked about my serving in the military when he returned and gave me my speeding award. ( I have veteran plates)

Was hoping he would cut me some slack on the speeding but even though he didn't, he was very professional and just as important, he was very polite

Yeah, it bummed me out about the ticket but I still have the utmost respect for this individual officer

Paid my ticket and all is good.....till next time

Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #19

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

been stopped 3-4 times here in texas (i have a cdl and yes it is legal to carry
in a rig) every tme i handed over dl-chl asked where it was on my hip. 2 times
they just handed it back, 2 times they pulled me out they moved me off the road and disarmed me. All the dps and locals were very cool with me. we spent
more time talking steel or plastic

i have seen the light

Old 12-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #20

The first thing I do is really something I don't do. I don't go digging through my glove compartment looking for my registration before the LEO gets to my window. I sit calmly with my hands on top of the steering wheel. I make no sudden moves of any kind and I especially don't thrash around like I'm looking for my gun.

The first thing I say is hello officer and then I say I have a concealed carry permit because we are required to say it in Ohio. I wait for the officer to ask me if I have a gun with me and I tell them if I do (which is almost always "yes I do"). I then tell them where it is all while keeping my hands on the steering wheel. This is the first time I've heard about the interior light deal. I'll be sure to do that from now on. It makes sense for the LEO.

I haven't been pulled over that many times since I got my CCW. When I do most LEO's instantly recognize that I've passed a stringent background check and they usually relax because they know I'm not a trouble maker. I've had LEO's compliment me on doing the procedure correctly too. And I've had my CCW take suspicion away from me because they know I've passed that background check.

So sometimes having a CCW can keep you out of trouble at least in a state where they do background checks. The rest is just common sense. They know I have a permit before they get to my window anyway. Not telling them is just asking for trouble. And I want no part of that. I'll help out any LEO that isn't acting like he wants to get famous by arresting the next Dillinger. They want to arrest everyone they meet in hopes that one of them will be a most wanted type I guess.

Last edited by King Ghidora; 12-05-2010 at 08:46 AM.

Closed Thread