What to do when you're stopped by the police and carrying...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What to do when you're stopped by the police and carrying...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 03:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default What to do when you're stopped by the police and carrying...

I searched and didn't see this topic come up, and since on the other forums that I've visited this question always comes up I figured I'd post about it...

Now, I am an avid gun enthusiast, some could even say a gun nut. Most of the guys I work with are too, so don't think we are all against armed citizens. I fully support concealed permits and believe everyone should get one.

As a LEO, we don't like surprises. Usually, if you're being pulled over, we already know whether or not you have a permit if we run your plates. Sometimes it doesn't show up due reasons unbeknown to me. Either way, it pays to announce if you have a permit and whether you are carrying or not; it helps put the officer at ease.

Generally, if you are being pulled over, we appreciate if you turn your interior light on before we get to your car. This is not required by law in our state, but allows us to see that you are not hiding something. When we make our introduction, please please please keep your hands on the wheel and say "I have a carry permit in my wallet and I have my weapon (insert location here but do not reach for it) or I do not have my weapon. This will go a long way with cops. 1) It lets us know you are legally carrying and at the very least lawfully able to get a permit. 2) It helps make a stressful situation less stressful.

At this point, please be cooperative to what the cop asks you to do. Each cop will have a different approach depending on the situation; some may ask you to step out, etc. We're not trying to be jerks about the situation, please realize we just want to go home at the end of our shift.

In most of the contacts I've had, I've spent more time talking about choice of carry guns then the actual reason for being pulled over. I also am not a traffic Nazi, so you really have to do something egregious for me to write a ticket... Likewise, I have yet to encounter someone who is legally carrying a gun to have been a complete jerk, and I hope to keep that streak going.

If this has been posted before, then you have my apologies. I used the search and didn't find the topic...

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Last edited by HighSpeed; 11-27-2010 at 04:44 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2010, 03:50 AM   #2

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the useful info. I have a CCW in two different states, and I did not realize that a license plate check would make that known to a police officer when making a stop. I will take that into consideration when I do get stopped, something that does not happen very often, I might add.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:17 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

back in texas when i lived there and did the ccw thing the few times i was stopped i handed over my DL and CCW. i didnt hand the gun over or even offer to show it or where it was until the officer asked.

had an officer one instance try to clear my pistol with it pointed at his belly...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-27-2010, 04:29 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8859 Times on 3837 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Good info. A 10-28 of my plates gets you nothing but the name of the leasing company. I DO run into license or DUI checkpoints now and again- I have my DL and my CCW permit together, interior light on if at night, and simply say "Good evening officer (trooper, deputy, etc) Concealed weapons license holder- and hand them both together. Some states (not my home state) REQUIRE that you advise the LEO if you are carrying.

I have seen some folks recommend that you say nothing- but I figure why the hell would I want to spike someone's blood pressure, and get the barrel of a SIG stuck in my ear for scaring the guy out of a month's growth?

Only response I have ever had has been "Appreciate you letting us know. Have a great evening."

The funny one was not a LEO, but airport security- at the parking garage. EARLY morning flight- as I was pulling up to the gate at the parking garage, uniformed security officer was stopping each car. Rolled down window- "Good morning, sir. Do you have any weapons in the vehicle?" " Yes" Stunned silence. " Are...are they in the trunk?" "No." More stunned silence. "I am a concealed weapons permit holder. There is a sidearm on my belt, left side. Here is my permit." Puzzled examination. " Do...do you have any weapons in the trunk?" "No. Want to look? I'll pop the trunk." Opened trunk, he took a glance at the HUGE pile of crap in my trunk, closed it, said thank you.

I felt SO much safer after that.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEYU View Post
Thanks for the useful info. I have a CCW in two different states, and I did not realize that a license plate check would make that known to a police officer when making a stop. I will take that into consideration when I do get stopped, something that does not happen very often, I might add.
Can't say this is the case for all states, but in Ohio we can see if you are an active or recently expired CCW holder.

ETA: when running plates.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Last edited by HighSpeed; 11-27-2010 at 04:55 AM.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5669 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The funny one was not a LEO, but airport security- at the parking garage. EARLY morning flight- as I was pulling up to the gate at the parking garage, uniformed security officer was stopping each car. Rolled down window- "Good morning, sir. Do you have any weapons in the vehicle?" " Yes" Stunned silence. " Are...are they in the trunk?" "No." More stunned silence. "I am a concealed weapons permit holder. There is a sidearm on my belt, left side. Here is my permit." Puzzled examination. " Do...do you have any weapons in the trunk?" "No. Want to look? I'll pop the trunk." Opened trunk, he took a glance at the HUGE pile of crap in my trunk, closed it, said thank you.

I felt SO much safer after that.
wonder if he woulda drew down on ya for having one in the trunk... good thing it was on your hip instead!! lol

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #7

Having DL with permit is a good idea; forgot to mention that.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #8

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I have been pulled over once and was involved in an accident once. Both times I handed my Permit with my DL and said, "I don't want to scare you
." Both times the officer was polite and calm. When I was in the accident I had a bunch of phone books in the back of the pick-up that I use for ballistic testing. The state trooper was more interested in my test results than my carry weapon. Once he realized I am a reloader we spent 20 minutes discussing rifles while we waited for the tow truck. Great guy. He really helped me get going. I even sent a letter to his supervisor thanking him for the help.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:54 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Good post HighSpeed. People should review what their state's rules are concerning concealed carry permit holders and LEOs.

Chuck D

Old 11-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #10

If I keep my pistol in my glove box or center console then its between me and myself. I keep my registration separate so I do not have to open anything.

CCW the license plate check thing changes from state to state. I think in Ohio you have to inform the officer but in Florida you do not. I do not.

Last thing I want is some gun hating LEO hassling me and overhandling my firearm or worse accidentally shooting himself or me with it because he is unfamiliar with it.

Closed Thread