Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > what to do if gun is drawn and confrontation ends?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6028 Times on 3301 Posts
Likes Given: 11517

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10

I rather think one can still walk in such a way, as to not tear the rice paper.

The street is not a video game. It is people, in my community. Sure there are bad people, but any killer needs someone to kill to be a killer. My actions do not feed.

A feather cannot guide itself in the wind, unless it is attached to a bird with an agenda.
What?
Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #62

Liked 265 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 50

The statistics regarding CCW holders do show that escalation is avoided in many instances.
90% of CCW holders never have to draw their gun.
Of the 10% that do, only 1% have to use it.
Determining if you are in that 1% is a life changing decision.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 06-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 666 Times on 341 Posts

Ok, so someone just tried to rob you at the ATM machine, you drew your weapon and the bad guy ran away, you're now dialing 911 thirty seconds later still panicked, what do you say? It's not just the statement you give the officer once he arrives, but also the information he receives before he arrives that could change how things end up. I'm thinking a good cop gets a call saying there was an attempted robbery and someone is still at the scene with a firearm could get interpreted poorly while the officer is in route. Without lying to the 911 operator, what would you want to tell them?

Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM   #64

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouribound
The statistics regarding CCW holders do show that escalation is avoided in many instances.
90% of CCW holders never have to draw their gun.
Of the 10% that do, only 1% have to use it.
Determining if you are in that 1% is a life changing decision.
Those numbers seem almost unbelievably high to me!! 10 percent of CC have to draw there gun?? And 1 out of 100 have to use there weapon to potentially take a life?? Those surveys had to be taking in the worst areas in the Country!! Or from the small fraction of CC holders that look for trouble!!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

Those numbers seem almost unbelievably high to me!! 10 percent of CC have to draw there gun?? And 1 out of 100 have to use there weapon to potentially take a life?? Those surveys had to be taking in the worst areas in the Country!! Or from the small fraction of CC holders that look for trouble!!
Just because we all jumped through the hoops and earned the right to CC!! Doesn't mean we all have the ideal temperament or personality to carry!!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1603 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I agree. I have taught well over 500 students in Armed Self Defense to date as far as I know none of them have fired a shot. Some may have had to use the psychological use to dissuade an attack, but I have not heard from any of them about this. (I ask all my students to let me know if they ever had to use their firearm in any way to defend themselves or others)
I have had to pull my gun several times off duty but have not fired a shot off duty.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1603 Times on 952 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Just because we all jumped through the hoops and earned the right to CC!! Doesn't mean we all have the ideal temperament or personality to carry!!
True, but those who should not be armed are very few. In all the years of teaching I only encountered one whom I refunded his money and refused to give him my letter of training. The most responsible people IN THE WORLD are those who accept the responsibility to be armed and defend themselves and others!
The 'right' is ours we should not have to 'jump through the hoops' to exercise it!!! We do not need to 'earn' any right, they are endowed by our Creator!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 06-21-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

True, but those who should not be armed are very few. In all the years of teaching I only encountered one whom I refunded his money and refused to give him my letter of training. The most responsible people IN THE WORLD are those who accept the responsibility to be armed and defend themselves and others!
The 'right' is ours we should not have to 'jump through the hoops' to exercise it!!! We do not need to 'earn' any right, they are endowed by our Creator!!!
I agree but by law!! We no longer are born with the right to carry a deadly weapon!! And that debate will last forever!! And I always give both sides a fair glance at what is best for the people as a whole!! Got to remember how much has changed in the last 250 years!! Transportation being one of huge revolutions to make a drastic change!! Not to mention technology, well just about everything!! Hard to imagine our forefathers writing the exact laws and principles if they lived in today's world!! I often compare cc to driving a automobile!! Both can be a deadly weapon if not entrusted in responsible hands!! And I feel there must me some kind of testing and background check before issuing cc permits!! Ownership?? No!! CC?? Yes!! Last thing I want is my local McDonald's to be flooded with nuts that don't have proper perspective or judgement carrying high powered guns!! Just my opinion!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

I agree but by law!! We no longer are born with the right to carry a deadly weapon!! And that debate will last forever!! And I always give both sides a fair glance at what is best for the people as a whole!! Got to remember how much has changed in the last 250 years!! Transportation being one of huge revolutions to make a drastic change!! Not to mention technology, well just about everything!! Hard to imagine our forefathers writing the exact laws and principles if they lived in today's world!! I often compare cc to driving a automobile!! Both can be a deadly weapon if not entrusted in responsible hands!! And I feel there must me some kind of testing and background check before issuing cc permits!! Ownership?? No!! CC?? Yes!! Last thing I want is my local McDonald's to be flooded with nuts that don't have proper perspective or judgement carrying high powered guns!! Just my opinion!
To put in prospective!! If I was upset at someone 250 years ago, and they were 20 miles away!! It would take a half a day to get to there front door!! Today?? 30 minutes!! and that is a huge factor to consider as far as CC laws are concerned!! And that just one example!!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #70
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

OPs query - what do you do AFTER you have drawn your gun & the BG runs away.

Interesting dilemma. What you say and how you say it may well determine if you go home or to jail. I live in CT and both the public & police are extremely sensative to "gun issues."

Even if you do everything "right," our legal system, prosecutors w agendas, even public opinion can turn against you. A lifetime of savings can be spent trying to fight for your rights & liberty.

Agree w Texas - No such thing as a fair fight & Never bring a knife to a gun fight. In psychology, we study case histories and most criminals want nothing to do with an armed citizen. One even tried to sue the state because the castle doctrine created a "hazardous work environment" for his profession. (Thief)

Good idea to carry a "legally defensible" statement on a card in your wallet so you do not say the wrong thing to the 911 operator or the officer. Then keep your mouth shut - don't give the opposition any ammo to use against you. The 5th amendment was originally intended to protect you.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 06-21-2013 at 02:54 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This