what to do if gun is drawn and confrontation ends? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > what to do if gun is drawn and confrontation ends?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 03:47 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Wouldn't it depend of if the thief or robber has a weapon, too?

If I ever had to draw, I would very probably call the police and report the incident.
It really does depend on the situation, but for me, if someone tries to rob me, or I catch them in my house, I WILL consider that a danger to me, and my family. You don't know what they will do, or how far they will go to get what they want.

Too many robberies and home invasions have ended with an innocent life being taken.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Always report any incident when your gun is drawn on someone, especially if its fired. You are the one filing the compliant and you want that to show on the record. There's no such thing as a "no-harm-no-foul" when a firearm is drawn in public. That discretion is for law enforcement.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-21-2013, 05:15 AM   #43

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

And yes, pointing a gun at someone can BBC e felony assault

Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 AM   #44

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
And yes, pointing a gun at someone can BBC e felony assault
But doesn't constitute an automatic fire!! Most cases it would indeed be warranted with a fire to kill reaction!! But not always!! To be programmed to automatically fire if you draw a weapon takes your biggest weapon away! "Your judgement" instincts will rule in the final outcome!! Most important is preserving life, next is avoiding taking a life!! If I can draw and not fire to do both its a win win!!
Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #45
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
But doesn't constitute an automatic fire!! Most cases it would indeed be warranted with a fire to kill reaction!! But not always!! To be programmed to automatically fire if you draw a weapon takes your biggest weapon away! "Your judgement" instincts will rule in the final outcome!! Most important is preserving life, next is avoiding taking a life!! If I can draw and not fire to do both its a win win!!
^^^^ THIS.

The point of self defense isn't to kill your attacker. It's for you to be able to see another day. If you can end a confrontation without shooting, do it, but don't hesitate to shoot if you absolutely have to.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

^^^^ THIS.

The point of self defense isn't to kill your attacker. It's for you to be able to see another day. If you can end a confrontation without shooting, do it, but don't hesitate to shoot if you are forced to.
Sorta kinda what I posted-
Old 06-21-2013, 06:45 AM   #47
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
in milwaukee about 4 blocks from a police station a woman walking to work was being beaten to death on the sidewalk early in the wee hours of the morning. an ex-marine stopped drew his sidearm pointed it at the goblin ordered him to stop killing the woman. he also called the police on his cell phone. it took the police 10 minutes to get there or thereabouts... link to the story: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/marine-veteran-stops-beating-holds-man-at-gunpoint-qs95000-197766101.html

the police arrested the goblin. no one died.

so should he have just shot the guy or talked to him playnice like and negotiated a violent situation into one where the goblin closed the distance to him and attacked?? or pulled his weapon and held the goblin at bay until police arrived as he did??

i would postulate that if he had of tried to "talk it out" there would have been two dead bodies on the ground instead of two live people going home and a bad guy going to prison.

talking things out and going the other way is fine when your talking about a situation where some one is calling your momma names and crap like that. but goblins dont "talk things out". they dont play nice or play by nice fictions of a polite society. if things are bad enough to draw, you draw, once the gun comes out then i will feel better about having a dialogue once i am sure i have force to back it up.
All is well that ends well, any port in a storm, a bird in the hand etc.

Personally, I do not bring a knife to a fist fight, or a gun to a knife fight. Fifty years ago I would have. Today, the ACLU, and fifty other agencies are just waiting to pounce on a good guy with a gun.

I would drive up to the scene and lay on my car horn. 99% chance that would have the attacker running. If the attack breaks off, and now I am the subject of the attack, I do what is necessary to protect myself with deadly force, if I am forced to do so. However, I am in my car, I can just back away slowly, pulling the bad guy away from the victim.

I am 56. Started with guns of one form or another before I started school. In all those years, over fifty, never have I had reason enough to pull a gun on man or beast.

The next fifty years will play out the same, because I watched every episode of Kung Fu, and understand the concept. Same mindset played out on Lassie, and most all tv shows of the 50s and 60s. The evil shows of today, wonder we don't all kill one another.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

What? That couldn't be farther from the truth. MOST self defense situations end exactly like that. A person who is in some kind of situation where they fear their life is in danger pulls a gun, and the bad guy either complies with their commands, or runs. That happens all the time.

Muggers, home intruders, rapists, ect. It doesn't matter. They're all looking for an easy score, and they don't want to end up dead. If someone pulls a gun on them, they are most likely going to stop what ever they were doing, and run.
What firearm class did you take where the jist was to pull a gun and watch things de escalate?

I think that does often work out that way, when you are a sworn police officer, and trained to de escalate confrontations or possible confrontations with the pulling of a firearm, however, Joe sixpack, average good guy, with a CHP and a. 380 in his coat pocket is not trained, nor does he have the authority to detain or arrest.

I have a few NRA classes under my belt, and a few more good videos on the subject, and your rationale is foreign to me.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:10 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I really think most of us are saying much the same things, expressing it in different ways.

However, for anyone that thinks there is a step between drawing a concealed firearm, and shooting your gun, one other alternative is open to you, in many areas of the country.

OPEN CARRY

if you think the visual prescience of a firearm defuses unwanted situations, by all means, trade off that inside the waistband holster for a outside the pants holster.

For me, in my concealed carry stance, my gun stays holstered until I need it, and I train, and plan daily that I will never pull my gun.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10
I really think most of us are saying much the same things, expressing it in different ways.

However, for anyone that thinks there is a step between drawing a concealed firearm, and shooting your gun, one other alternative is open to you, in many areas of the country.

OPEN CARRY

if you think the visual prescience of a firearm defuses unwanted situations, by all means, trade off that inside the waistband holster for a outside the pants holster.

For me, in my concealed carry stance, my gun stays holstered until I need it, and I train, and plan daily that I will never pull my gun.
Open carry is not legal in my state(Florida) but I can see advantages and disadvantages of OC Like most everything else that is debated!! I think it is fascinating how extremes opinions can be on most every discussion -