Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > what to do if gun is drawn and confrontation ends?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR10 View Post
If you pull your gun and the confrontation ends, very very very very likely, your brainishing a gun was not needed to thwart the impending action you were so afraid of.

Pulling a fire truck up in front of a fire does not make a fire go out.

Do you think flashing a gun at Sandy Hook would have stopped the attack?

You never want to pull your gun, as doing so means the decision has been made that lead and copper are headed towards the conflict to resolve the issue in your favor. Is there a viable means to turning off an M-80 once you light the fuse?

If you pull a gun on someone, call the police if you are alone, or instruct others to do so if you are with other people. Do not get tunnel vision, remain aware of other possible threats in your area.

Once the police arrive, unless it is your brother in law, be aware, you are the man with a gun and the subject of the police call, so be ready to be cuffed and placed in detention as the officers sort it all out.

Big city? Look at months getting your gun returned to you.

Very likely, you could loose your permit to carry a concealed weapon, as pulling an unneeded firearm is not something police departments want to deal with, and very much wish to discourage.

Never never never pull your gun, thinking this is one step towards getting out of a conflict. Branshing a gun is not part of conflict resolution 101 class.
No I do not believe any of the scenarios you described. I am absolutely prepared to pull the trigger if necessary, however I am asking what should I do IF the BG runs away the moment they realize the person they're targeting has a gun.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

You call the police. You remain at the scene of the crime. You give them the best description you can of the person, which direction they headed in and means of travel and recount exactly what happened.
DO NOT have your gun drawn when they arrive.
Expect to be disarmed.
Do as they say and hope to get your gun back.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #13

Liked 158 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedpony

Presumably you draw your weapon in response to a potential crime scenerio. burglery, robbery, assualt or the attempt to commit one of the previous. Why would you not report a crime such as that?
Better know the law before you draw!! Laws change drawing a weapon off your property vs on your property!! My understanding it has to be last option, immediate and life threatening situation for you to draw your firearm in public off your property!! And even than, be prepared for legal action charged against you!! No matter how right you are in reacting to a situation!! Just be prepared for lengthy court battles!! Especially if injury or death took place!! Home defense is much different, in most cases they(BG) are presumed to be a threat to your life by being on your property without being welcomed or invited!! Much easier to justify, drawing a weapon on your property opposed to off your property!! Know the law before you draw!!

Note Robbery or theft is not considered life threatening!!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6130 Times on 3715 Posts
Likes Given: 6960

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Wouldn't it depend of if the thief or robber has a weapon, too?

If I ever had to draw, I would very probably call the police and report the incident.
Cattledog Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1259 Times on 787 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Better know the law before you draw!! Laws change drawing a weapon off your property vs on your property!! My understanding it has to be last option, immediate and life threatening situation for you to draw your firearm in public off your property!! And even than, be prepared for legal action charged against you!! No matter how right you are in reacting to a situation!! Just be prepared for lengthy court battles!! Especially if injury or death took place!! Home defense is much different, in most cases they(BG) are presumed to be a threat to your life by being on your property without being welcomed or invited!! Much easier to justify, drawing a weapon on your property opposed to off your property!! Know the law before you draw!!

Persons crimes (robbery, rape, assault, burglary of any occupied structure are persons crimes and the only property crime most jurisdictions will allow the use of deadly force to prevent is arson) ALL have the potential for serious injury or death.
Robbery is a 'persons' crime, depending on the totality of the circumstances, the presence of deadly force would be legal and appropriate in most cases.
Theft is a property crime and you can't use deadly force to stop the person from committing the crime BUT if you intervene to stop the crime and the criminal resistes your attempt to stop him and attacks you you have every legal right to defend yourself . Back to what I said earlier, it is not always what you do but how you explain it.
In this case you have every right to use force (non-lethal) to protect your property so if you attempt to stop the theft and the criminal escalates the situation you can use whatever force is necessary to overcome the attack/threat.
Do whatever you must do, just be right when you do!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

phildenton Likes This 
Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #16

Liked 257 Times on 227 Posts

I never thought about it before, but I'm the "no harm, no foul" type typically. My gut reaction was to say put the gun back and go on about your day.

But as others said it would be wise to report a potential crime, because you have a description of the assailant. Even though it's unlikely anything will come of it before the BG does something again, it might help to convict down the road. We have a responsibly to all innocent citizens of this country, not just ourselves.

Great question!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

Wouldn't it depend of if the thief or robber has a weapon, too?

If I ever had to draw, I would very probably call the police and report the incident.
I'm not a Lawyer!! But theft with an immediate danger of life of yours or someone else's would justify deadly force!! But theft In itself would not!! Another words if you see a theft without the threat a life, call the cops. If you see a theft with the life of yours or someone else's in immediate danger, use of deadly force would be a green light!! Common sense should be the best rule here!! Instinctively, our life preserving instincts should tell us how to react!! Violent crimes such rape or aggressive assault should fall into a life threatening situation!! But some forms of assault would not!! Threats, arguing is a definite red light!! Old fashion physical fights over differences is gray and vague at best, unless you think your going to die if you don't draw your firearm!! And most of the time drawing without firing would work in that situation!! The whole key is "life threatening" if not, best to walk away, call the cops or use any other option besides deadly force!! Best to know a good defense attorney, you will need good legal advise, if you use or draw your firearm, particularly off your property!! Any lawyers on here?? I stand to be corrected if am way off on these principles!!

Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall

I'm not a Lawyer!! But theft with an immediate danger of life of yours or someone else's would justify deadly force!! But theft In itself would not!! Another words if you see a theft without the threat a life, call the cops. If you see a theft with the life of yours or someone else's in immediate danger, use of deadly force would be a green light!! Common sense should be the best rule here!! Instinctively, our life preserving instincts should tell us how to react!! Violent crimes such rape or aggressive assault should fall into a life threatening situation!! But some forms of assault would not!! Threats, arguing is a definite red light!! Old fashion physical fights over differences is gray and vague at best, unless you think your going to die if you don't draw your firearm!! And most of the time drawing without firing would work in that situation!! The whole key is "life threatening" if not, best to walk away, call the cops or use any other option besides deadly force!! Best to know a good defense attorney, you will need good legal advise, if you use or draw your firearm, particularly off your property!! Any lawyers on here?? I stand to be corrected if am way off on these principles!!
And it's a good idea to periodically review, CC laws and HD laws in your Home state, not that it really matters, most gun owners are going to preserve life despite what the law might say!! But it's nice to keep updated on what you might face after a situation!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 586 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 179

If it is an armed confrontation, those who are quick enough to turn and run can keep running. Then a call to LEO and holster before he arrives.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 06-20-2013, 01:38 AM   #20

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Never write what you can say and never say what you can whisper.