Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   what to do if gun is drawn and confrontation ends? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/what-do-if-gun-drawn-confrontation-ends-92520/)

okieboy 06-19-2013 11:51 AM

what to do if gun is drawn and confrontation ends?

So I know what I should do if I ever have to shoot somebody. But what should I do if i find myself having to draw my weapon and that ends the confrontation? If there are witnesses especially? Like if I draw my gun, and the bad guy runs away should I still report the incident to police? Or do I just reholster and walk away?

c3shooter 06-19-2013 11:55 AM

There IS no "one size fits all" answer. Give me circumstances, and I'll tell you what I think I would do.

But in general, yes. The first call to the authorities is the one that tends to have greater credibility. As opposed to explaining to the authorities why you pulled on gun on the person that just called and reported you to them.

txpossum 06-19-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1280629)
There IS no "one size fits all" answer. Give me circumstances, and I'll tell you what I think I would do.

But in general, yes. The first call to the authorities is the one that tends to have greater credibility. As opposed to explaining to the authorities why you pulled on gun on the person that just called and reported you to them.

Very good advice.

okieboy 06-19-2013 12:01 PM

I don't have any sort of circumstances. Im merely pondering life and that thought came up.

spottedpony 06-19-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunsmith91 (Post 1280624)
So I know what I should do if I ever have to shoot somebody. But what should I do if i find myself having to draw my weapon and that ends the confrontation? If there are witnesses especially? Like if I draw my gun, and the bad guy runs away should I still report the incident to police? Or do I just reholster and walk away?

Presumably you draw your weapon in response to a potential crime scenerio. burglery, robbery, assualt or the attempt to commit one of the previous. Why would you not report a crime such as that?

PanBaccha 06-19-2013 12:39 PM

Speaking for myself only ... drawing and watching as the bg runs off ... I'd simply place firearm back into holster and walk away. Now, however, if it was a mugging you stopped, or a rape, or even someone getting mercilessly beaten, I suppose informing 911 might be in order. But that's up to the individual. Personally speaking, I once stopped a gang rape, and all four guys ran off as I pointed the firearm at them. The young girl, of course, was in a horrific state of shock and terrified. I couldn't inform 911 even if I wanted to because I was illegally carrying while driving a taxicab in the wee hours of the night in NYC. I would have been automatically arrested then.

JimRau 06-19-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1280629)

100% on target! In LE we have to be very careful to keep an open mind when investigating situations like this. I have handled many calls where the bandit calls and reports that he was 'threatened' by a 'man with a gun', so immediately he is labeled as a 'victim' by many LEO'S who do not keep an open mind. SO CALL AS SOON AS YOU CAN.
Two things I would tell the cops I trained:
1. Do what ever you must do, but be right when you do it.
2. It is not always your actions that will get you trouble, the the way you explain them is just as important .;)

JimRau 06-19-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanBaccha (Post 1280662)
Speaking for myself only ... drawing and watching as the bg runs off ... I'd simply place firearm back into holster and walk away. Now, however, if it was a mugging you stopped, or a rape, or even someone getting mercilessly beaten, I suppose informing 911 might be in order. But that's up to the individual. Personally speaking, I once stopped a gang rape, and all four guys ran off as I pointed the firearm at them. The young girl, of course, was in a horrific state of shock and terrified. I couldn't inform 911 even if I wanted to because I was illegally carrying while driving a taxicab in the wee hours of the night in NYC. I would have been automatically arrested then.

You nailed the biggest problem on earth, a government who does not trust you.
Thus MOST people do not want to violate the law and get arrested so they do not arm themselves and thus they MUST not 'get involved' for fear of retaliation or becoming another victim at the scene, or being arrested for doing the 'right' thing!:mad:

AR10 06-19-2013 03:02 PM

If you pull your gun and the confrontation ends, very very very very likely, your brainishing a gun was not needed to thwart the impending action you were so afraid of.

Pulling a fire truck up in front of a fire does not make a fire go out.

Do you think flashing a gun at Sandy Hook would have stopped the attack?

You never want to pull your gun, as doing so means the decision has been made that lead and copper are headed towards the conflict to resolve the issue in your favor. Is there a viable means to turning off an M-80 once you light the fuse?

If you pull a gun on someone, call the police if you are alone, or instruct others to do so if you are with other people. Do not get tunnel vision, remain aware of other possible threats in your area.

Once the police arrive, unless it is your brother in law, be aware, you are the man with a gun and the subject of the police call, so be ready to be cuffed and placed in detention as the officers sort it all out.

Big city? Look at months getting your gun returned to you.

Very likely, you could loose your permit to carry a concealed weapon, as pulling an unneeded firearm is not something police departments want to deal with, and very much wish to discourage.

Never never never pull your gun, thinking this is one step towards getting out of a conflict. Branshing a gun is not part of conflict resolution 101 class.

okieboy 06-19-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR10 (Post 1280759)
If you pull your gun and the confrontation ends, very very very very likely, your brainishing a gun was not needed to thwart the impending action you were so afraid of.

Pulling a fire truck up in front of a fire does not make a fire go out.

Do you think flashing a gun at Sandy Hook would have stopped the attack?

You never want to pull your gun, as doing so means the decision has been made that lead and copper are headed towards the conflict to resolve the issue in your favor. Is there a viable means to turning off an M-80 once you light the fuse?

If you pull a gun on someone, call the police if you are alone, or instruct others to do so if you are with other people. Do not get tunnel vision, remain aware of other possible threats in your area.

Once the police arrive, unless it is your brother in law, be aware, you are the man with a gun and the subject of the police call, so be ready to be cuffed and placed in detention as the officers sort it all out.

Big city? Look at months getting your gun returned to you.

Very likely, you could loose your permit to carry a concealed weapon, as pulling an unneeded firearm is not something police departments want to deal with, and very much wish to discourage.

Never never never pull your gun, thinking this is one step towards getting out of a conflict. Branshing a gun is not part of conflict resolution 101 class.

I am quite aware of the law thank you. Rest assured I will never draw unless absolutely necessary.