Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What is the difference?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What is the difference?

Can someone please explain to me the difference between .40 and .45 Caliber? Relating to kinetic energy, stopping power, etc?

thanks,

Joe

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Joe, 4/25/09

Your question is a good one, and the answer is quite complex.

First- "stopping power"- there is no good definition that is accepted by everyone although many have tried. Some knowledgble people believe it is best to have a light weight, very fast bullet. Others, also knowledgable, believe a heavy, slow, deep penetrating bullet works best. To make matters more complicated your bullet speed will vary depending on the length of your barrel. It may be fast with a 5 inch barrel and a lot slower in a 3 inch barrel, even with the same bullet weight and powder charge.

Kinetic energy gives the bullet the ability to do work (expand and penetrate), and is highly dependent on the speed of the bullet. If all other factors are equal, a faster bullet should penetrate and expand more than a slower one.

The three most common semiauto calibers for self defense are 9mm, .40 and .45. The .40 came into being as a more powerful cartridge than the 9mm was sought because of perceived notions that the 9mm was too underpowered to achieve incapacitation in some circumstances. The .40 is a compromise in size and power to the .45 which many people find hard to grip and shoot well.

In actuality, the caliber and bullet weight and speed are all secondary to hitting the center-of-mass of your target under stress. There are many 9mm loads that work quite well now. Any of the above calibers is adequate if the shooter can do his part well. If you can do your part well with a larger caliber then that is even better. For what it is worth I usually carry a .45, but sometimes a 9mm with Remington Golder Saber HP's and I do not feel undergunned. Hope this helps.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 04-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I have both a .40 S&W and .45ACP. I find the 45ACP is a little softer shooting than the .40. The 45ACP has more of a "push" so it allows me to double tap it a little faster than my 40. I like both calibers quite well and I feel safe with both.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I shoot a .45 ACP with my Taurus pistols. It's pre-expanded. One reason I shoot a .45 is that they don't make a .50 ACP.

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth AkSarBen View Post
I shoot a .45 ACP with my Taurus pistols. It's pre-expanded. One reason I shoot a .45 is that they don't make a .50 ACP.
Yes there is.