In what Condition do you carry your Sig? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > In what Condition do you carry your Sig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I carry a Sig 220 in 45 ACP with a round in the chamber and I have NO worry about Sig quality. If I need to I want to be able to pull the trigger as soon as I clear the holster and not taking the time to pull the slide back to load a round in the chamber. Not to carry one in the chamber gives the bad guy time to be all over you.
Jim

Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #22

i own a sig p229 da/sa and carry condition 1. just chamber a round and de-cock the hammer. it takes no time to cock the hammer if necessary or just fire with a long ass trigger pull. i think it's safe.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #23

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

"as you undeniable save some fractions of a second in a situation where you have you use your firearm."

Lots more than that. Effectively, more like 3 if you don't point shoot.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #24

I shot a IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) monthly. Some times we have to shoot from the hip and hit the target in a specific place so I am used to fireing from the hip and that saves time in an emergency situation. We also have to shoot "strong hand, "weak hand" and both hands. I suggest if you can find a gun club that shoots IDPA and join up.

Jim

Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 AM   #25

Liked 2138 Times on 1172 Posts
Likes Given: 1387

I always carry in condition 1. What would you do if you had a gun with an empty chamber and you were using your weak hand to hold off an attacker?
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #26

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

This thread reminds me of conversations that we were having about 25-30 years ago.

The average service type pistol today is designed to be carried with a round in the chamber, and either cocked and locked, or de-cocked with the hammer down. Passive safeties are the norm.

Someone who is not comfortable enough with the operation of their pistol of choice, and personal training level, would not be likely to know how to chamber a round using only one hand.

So, in that case, if they needed to draw their pistol and did not have the use of two hands (to rack the slide to chamber a round) because one might be occupied (maybe holding off a BG?), and they did not have a round chambered, what would they do?

Additionally, the gun owner who is not comfortable carrying with a round chambered, may actually cause a failure to feed in a stressful situation by "short stroking" or "riding" the slide. This type of malfunction is fairly common in basic pistol classes.

My suggestion to anyone who plans to carry a handgun would be to learn the mechanical operation of your chosen sidearm, and become comfortable with the safeties and how they work. Then carry it the way it is designed to be carried, in an appropriate holster that fully covers the trigger. But if you carry, be "ready to go".

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
So, in that case, if they needed to draw their pistol and did not have the use of two hands (to rack the slide to chamber a round) because one might be occupied (maybe holding off a BG?), and they did not have a round chambered, what would they do?
Well here is one option... loading a semi in condition two with your belt. In this case the rear sight of this tupperware semi is used to hinge on to the belt making the slide cycle and chamber a round. It can be done with both hands, ut requires a lot of practice (Like anything). Just make sure to change those plastic sights to metal sights on the Glock, as they will wear down...

Nevertheless, I can't disagree with fact that condition one is faster....I guess if you used a stopwatch you could deduct the time extra spent on this maneuver, anyway... I would consider a last option scenario. But, it is possible....

Old 09-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #28

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB44 View Post
Well here is one option... loading a semi in condition two with your belt. In this case the rear sight of this tupperware semi is used to hinge on to the belt making the slide cycle and chamber a round. It can be done with both hands, ut requires a lot of practice (Like anything). Just make sure to change those plastic sights to metal sights on the Glock, as they will wear down...

Nevertheless, I can't disagree with fact that condition one is faster....I guess if you used a stopwatch you could deduct the time extra spent on this maneuver, anyway... I would consider a last option scenario. But, it is possible....

YouTube - Loading from condition two using belt
I'm very familiar with the options of chambering a round one handed. My point was, if someone is not experienced enough to trust themselves (and their gear) to carry with a round in the chamber, how likely is that person to know HOW to chamber a round with one hand? And do so without inducing a malfunction?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #29

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

A weapon with no round in the chamber is an unloaded weapon. An unloaded weapon on your hip is a paperweight. Things happen a lot faster than one might think in a SD situation. Not one persdon can say truthfully that they can draw their weapon and rack a slide (one or two handed) and fire on an acquired target as quickly as one could with a loaded weapon (already chambered).

+1 on M14sRock's statement
Quote:
if someone is not experienced enough to trust themselves (and their gear) to carry with a round in the chamber, how likely is that person to know HOW to chamber a round with one hand? And do so without inducing a malfunction?
You're adding a step that in a SD situation can really cost you. If you are not comfortable carrying a weapon properly loaded then I strongly advise more training.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #30

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Robo and Cane + 1

Most any modern handgun can be safely carried in condition 1. The two considerations to me are:

1. Does the gun block the hammer or striker from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled? Again, most all modern hanguns do to include any modern Sig.

2. Use a holster and make sure you select one that completely covers the trigger while the gun is holstered. This will keep your finger off the trigger until you've cleared leather.

TACK