Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > In what Condition do you carry your Sig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
cko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default In what Condition do you carry your Sig?

My uncle was really my introduction into the CandC world. His weapon of choice is a Sig P229, which I happened to like when I shot it. However, he always carries in what I believe is Condition 2, being a loaded weapon with no round in the chamber.

This bothers me for obvious reasons, most notably that in a situation where quick action is needed, a slide racking can be impossible.

My question is this: Who here uses a Sig weapon and what Condition do you carry it in? Is it safe to carry in Condition One despite the lack of a conventional safety?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

JMU SCCC - Students for Concealed Carry on Campus
"When seconds stand between life or death, the police are only minutes away."

Last edited by canebrake; 09-02-2010 at 11:00 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I Carry a SIG P250 in condition two(2).

Why,..???

Me and Jimbo and Group17 had a whole discussion on this here :

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/any-one-have-dao-sig-pros-cons-22044/

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 01-13-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
cko

You're the man.
I actually read the first reply top that thread but it kinda threw me off with the direction it took.

Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:38 PM   #4

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You say you can't carry in a holster "legally". Which represents that you are carrying illegally.

Why implicate yourself as a criminal?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-13-2010, 09:36 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
You say you can't carry in a holster "legally". Which represents that you are carrying illegally.

Why implicate yourself as a criminal?
Have you ever lived in South America,..???

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #6

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I “SAFELY” remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!

Condition 1 and only!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-13-2010, 11:35 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A lot of this would depend on the gun's action and safeties, too. P229 standard or DAK?

Also, I've never actually shot one, but the standard DA/SA has no manual safety, but a decocker, right?

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 01-13-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
cko

P229 standard, and no DAK. Basically I guess I was just wondering about whether there was a risk in the trigger being pulled on the DA first shot while holstered.

It seems unlikely, but better to ask than shoot myself in the foot due to stupidity.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #9

I think it depends on the person. Some feel comfortable with one chambered, others do not. My concealed carry should be here early next week, so I don't yet carry outside my home. I carry around the house to get used to having a gun on me, and I definately notice when I leave that it's not there. I don't have a round chambered. I too worry about it accidently going off, seeing as how my M&P only has that trigger safety, no other manual safety. But I also see where canebrake is coming from. Quick action is needed when you are in a situation in which you may need to use your weapon. I may start keeping a round chambered when I do carry. I have a leather holster that completely covers the trigger and trigger guard, so I don't worry about the trigger accidently being pulled. I think it mostly depends on your holster in what condition you should carry in.

Smith&Wesson M&P .45
Beretta 92fs

NRA member since November 16, 2009

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."-V

Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Many, if not most people that carry in condition 2 received their handgun training in the military on 1911's. The military had several things to consider when chosing the carry method; 1. the age of the weapon. Many 1911s were older than the service member's parents and were not in the best shape. 2. The experience level of the service member. They got a few hours of instruction on the gun and fired a very limited number of rounds during familiarization and qualification. It was more prudent to keep the chambers empty to prevent accidents. 3. The maturity level of the service member. Many were late teens to early 20's and may have been inclined to do stupid things with loaded guns.
The 1911's they used in the military did not have the modern safety features designed into them. They did not have a passive firing pin block and could fire if dropped. They had safeties that were worn and not very "safe". The trigger pull weight and distance could vary quite alot. Gentle pressure on one trigger could be enough to fire another.

The Sig's have several advantages over an old issue 1911. The firing pin is captured (blocked) until the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. The hammer does not actually touch the firing pin when at rest.

In a nut shell, the Sigs are perfectly safe to carry with a round in the chamber.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball