Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   In what Condition do you carry your Sig? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/what-condition-do-you-carry-your-sig-22139/)

cko 01-13-2010 07:10 PM

In what Condition do you carry your Sig?

My uncle was really my introduction into the CandC world. His weapon of choice is a Sig P229, which I happened to like when I shot it. However, he always carries in what I believe is Condition 2, being a loaded weapon with no round in the chamber.

This bothers me for obvious reasons, most notably that in a situation where quick action is needed, a slide racking can be impossible.

My question is this: Who here uses a Sig weapon and what Condition do you carry it in? Is it safe to carry in Condition One despite the lack of a conventional safety?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

MB44 01-13-2010 07:28 PM

I Carry a SIG P250 in condition two(2).

Why,..??? :confused:

Me and Jimbo and Group17 had a whole discussion on this here :

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/any-one-have-dao-sig-pros-cons-22044/

cko 01-13-2010 08:00 PM

You're the man.
I actually read the first reply top that thread but it kinda threw me off with the direction it took.

Thanks again.

willfully armed 01-13-2010 08:38 PM

You say you can't carry in a holster "legally". Which represents that you are carrying illegally.

Why implicate yourself as a criminal?

MB44 01-13-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 212335)
You say you can't carry in a holster "legally". Which represents that you are carrying illegally.

Why implicate yourself as a criminal?

Have you ever lived in South America,..???

canebrake 01-13-2010 11:22 PM

I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I “SAFELY” remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!

Condition 1 and only!

Mr. Bluesky 01-13-2010 11:35 PM

A lot of this would depend on the gun's action and safeties, too. P229 standard or DAK?

Also, I've never actually shot one, but the standard DA/SA has no manual safety, but a decocker, right?

cko 01-14-2010 12:29 AM

P229 standard, and no DAK. Basically I guess I was just wondering about whether there was a risk in the trigger being pulled on the DA first shot while holstered.

It seems unlikely, but better to ask than shoot myself in the foot due to stupidity.

Kage0113 01-14-2010 06:43 PM

I think it depends on the person. Some feel comfortable with one chambered, others do not. My concealed carry should be here early next week, so I don't yet carry outside my home. I carry around the house to get used to having a gun on me, and I definately notice when I leave that it's not there. I don't have a round chambered. I too worry about it accidently going off, seeing as how my M&P only has that trigger safety, no other manual safety. But I also see where canebrake is coming from. Quick action is needed when you are in a situation in which you may need to use your weapon. I may start keeping a round chambered when I do carry. I have a leather holster that completely covers the trigger and trigger guard, so I don't worry about the trigger accidently being pulled. I think it mostly depends on your holster in what condition you should carry in.

robocop10mm 01-14-2010 08:09 PM

Many, if not most people that carry in condition 2 received their handgun training in the military on 1911's. The military had several things to consider when chosing the carry method; 1. the age of the weapon. Many 1911s were older than the service member's parents and were not in the best shape. 2. The experience level of the service member. They got a few hours of instruction on the gun and fired a very limited number of rounds during familiarization and qualification. It was more prudent to keep the chambers empty to prevent accidents. 3. The maturity level of the service member. Many were late teens to early 20's and may have been inclined to do stupid things with loaded guns.
The 1911's they used in the military did not have the modern safety features designed into them. They did not have a passive firing pin block and could fire if dropped. They had safeties that were worn and not very "safe". The trigger pull weight and distance could vary quite alot. Gentle pressure on one trigger could be enough to fire another.

The Sig's have several advantages over an old issue 1911. The firing pin is captured (blocked) until the trigger is pulled fully to the rear. The hammer does not actually touch the firing pin when at rest.

In a nut shell, the Sigs are perfectly safe to carry with a round in the chamber.