What brand of defensive ammo do you use? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > What brand of defensive ammo do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Hornady critical defense.

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Old 10-05-2012, 07:00 AM   #32

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I use plain old JSP ammo for my magnum handguns, except in the woods. In the woods I use corbon cast ammo. For light caliber handguns I use Winchester Rangers. I might switch to Aguilla if they function well. The 9mm 124 gr Aguilla FMJ achieves the same velocity as the 9mm Ranger 124 gr FMJ without the NATO/+P pressure.

I live in a rural area. Over penetration is not a problem. I might have to shoot at longer ranges than urban dwellers. Just my front yard is close to an acre. Since law enforcement is usually a long way off, I might have to venture outside to defend my home. We seldom have any violent crime in this area but when it happens it's very violent. Recently two brothers got into a shootout at six feet. One brother died on the scene the other is still in the hospital over 90 days later.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5952 Times on 3369 Posts
Likes Given: 5521

Winchester Ranger "T" 127 gr +P+ JHP. the same stuff I was issued for duty. It's pretty much a "standard" for LE in this part of the country.

Winston Churchill

Old 10-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #34

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I use rbcd personal defense ammo it is a 90 grain full fragmenting round for a 45 caliber it travels at 2036 fps with 828flbs of force. Here is the link http://www.rbcd.net/home.cfm

Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #35

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk45
I use rbcd personal defense ammo it is a 90 grain full fragmenting round for a 45 caliber it travels at 2036 fps with 828flbs of force. Here is the link http://www.rbcd.net/home.cfm
A 90 grain .45 bullet??

Doesnt sound very appealing to me

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #36

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

A 90 grain .45 bullet??

I thought it was a bit strange as well but the speed and energy is what sold me. Its light but its still a .45 acp that is travelling at close to some rifle speeds.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #37

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
A 90 grain .45 bullet??

If the ballistics and testing done by the company are accurate as well as the videos of testing I have seen it is an awesome round. There are some YouTube videos of some of the test done by individuals. The test that sold me were done by the company and my chl instructor showed the class the video (which has to be bought from the company). I haven't been able to find the video I saw on YouTube

Old 10-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #38

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk45

If the ballistics and testing done by the company are accurate as well as the videos of testing I have seen it is an awesome round. There are some YouTube videos of some of the test done by individuals. The test that sold me were done by the company and my chl instructor showed the class the video (which has to be bought from the company). I haven't been able to find the video I saw on YouTube
It is interesting, im just a 230 grain kinda guy :-)

""230 grains of instant act right""

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #39

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

It is interesting, im just a 230 grain kinda guy :-)

""230 grains of instant act right""
I understand, but they make caring a steal frame 1911 a few ounces lighter. Which makes all day caring less strenuous. I'd say they are worth a test run. They fly twice as fast and produce less felt recoil making follow up shot much faster and in a self-defense situation is very important to me. I also think and this is my opinion only but I think these would make a great competition target round because of the reasons I mentioned as long as there is a strong enough back stop.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:22 PM   #40

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

one other advantage i saw was that in the test video done by the company it showed a couple different calibers (the ones i remember were 357 mag and 45 caliber) and the rounds were shot into a 12 inch by 12 inch block of clay (which the video said is suppose to be the closest thing to the human body that can be replicated without actually shooting a human). the rounds that i remember (its been at least ten years since i have seen the video) were hollow point rounds and then the rbcd ammo. i don't know what brand hollow points they were but the hollow points would hit the block of clay and have full penetration, exiting the back of the block and you could see the round hit the ground some where behind it. when the rbcd ammo was shot it would hit the block of clay, transfer all of the energy to the clay and really open up the block, there was no exit hole in the back of the block. the advantage i see to this is if you have to use your ccw and shoot an attacker and you hit your target you don't have to worry about your round exiting your attacker and hitting an innocent bystander behind him.